• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Spoiler for Adventures in the Forgotten Realms: Dungeon Mechanics.

A (or perhaps the) dungeon card comes into play, and you do whatever the keyword action “venture [into it]” means.

This is why I suspect dungeon cards will not go into the deck, but rather sit outside the game somewhere (perhaps the command zone, the sideboard, or it’s own separate deck of dungeon cards) until brought into play by someone Venturing.
The wording suggests multiple dungeons in one game.

Scribe

Legend
Land or Enchantment. You can track it with a token, or dual faced/transform.

And again, someone said this is a "Standard" not 'standard' set. If this is a Standard format legal set, then it will not have some weird 2nd deck for dungeons to be drawn from. That is way too parasitic a mechanic.

If its NOT a Standard set, then all bets are off and it could be anything.

Modern Horizons 2 looks like it may as well be an Unset, that is trying to leverage massive amounts of nostalgia...but I'm not convinced its going to be what Modern needs in any capacity.

OK actually Obsidian Charmaw looks great for stomping on Tron, because that deck should have been killed off years ago. :p

EDIT: My google-fu is weak, but yeah AFR is indeed a Standard legal set. I dont see how Dungeon's are anything but a standard card type.

I also see Q4 has us returning to Innistrad, with a Werewolves vs Vampires theme. That is REALLY exciting, as I love the Werewolf cards. :D

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The wording suggests multiple dungeons in one game.
Well, “venture into the dungeon suggests only one dungeon. “If you’ve completed a dungeon” suggests multiple dungeons. My bet would be that there can only be one dungeon in play at a time, and “completing” a dungeon removes it from play.

Charlaquin

Land or Enchantment. You can track it with a token, or dual faced/transform.
I very much doubt dungeons will go in the main deck. Feel free to quote me on that, if I’m wrong I’ll eat my words.
And again, someone said this is a "Standard" not 'standard' set. If this is a Standard format legal set, then it will not have some weird 2nd deck for dungeons to be drawn from. That is way too parasitic a mechanic.

If its NOT a Standard set, then all bets are off and it could be anything.
We’ve known since the set’s announcement that it would be standard legal. That doesn’t mean it can’t include cards that go into a special outside the game zone like the sideboard, command zone, or even a separate deck. WotC has been experimenting with such mechanics a great deal lately, including in standard legal sets. And parasitic mechanics are used in standard all the time. If there was ever a time to experiment with something like that, this is it.
Modern Horizons 2 looks like it may as well be an Unset, that is trying to leverage massive amounts of nostalgia...but I'm not convinced its going to be what Modern needs in any capacity.
It’s certainly playing on nostalgia, but it isn’t like an un set at all. It’s very much what MaRo would call an art house set - a set that pushes the complexity envelope well beyond what they would print in a standard legal set these days. It’s a spiritual successor to Time Spiral, just like the first Modern Horizons was.

That said, I agree it doesn’t look like it’s really being designed for Modern. It’s very clearly being designed for Commander.

Scribe

Legend
I very much doubt dungeons will go in the main deck. Feel free to quote me on that, if I’m wrong I’ll eat my words.
In reading the card again, I think you are right. Token generator type language dont you think? Gives me an explore or investigate type vibe.

MH2 is for sure overly complex, I say unset because there is stuff that is all over the place, like Time Spiral sure, but even less focused.

Charlaquin

In reading the card again, I think you are right. Token generator type language dont you think? Gives me an explore or investigate type vibe.
Well, we know that one of the Commander decks will come with a number of double-faced dungeon cards, so I don’t think they’re going to be tokens. I’m extremely confident they will be a special type of card that exists in an outside the game space like the sideboard, command zone, or their own deck.
MH2 is for sure overly complex, I say unset because there is stuff that is all over the place, like Time Spiral sure, but even less focused.
The designs don’t seem particularly unfocused to me. There’s a discard subtheme, a squirrel tribal subtheme, a suspend subtheme... It’s all pretty cohesive, just complex. Again, very much like its predecessor and their mutual spiritual predecessor.

Scribe

Legend
You also have artifacts, it looks like some enchantment support, minor tribal, but like the Ignoble Hierarch, Renown, Vanishing, Urborg Forest, Imprint, Evoke, Trample over Planeswalkers I mean mechanically its all over the map.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Aren't they likely to be similar to the quest (?) cards in the Theros set?

What strikes me, as someone who only occasionally dabbles in MtG is the use of the word "the". It seems to imply that there is only ever one dungeon, and there is never no dungeon in play.
You are thinking of Quest cards from OG Zendikar, and...quite possibly. Given that they are endeavoring to make sure all Sealed play has access to multiple Dungeon cards, these seem to bend the normal rules in some odd way.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So saga's automatically move down their list of effects each turn, there's nothing specific you have to do to progress them. Dungeons being double-sided + monsters having to 'venture' into them probably means there are conditions necessary to 'complete' a dungeon and flip it over.
Quest cards from. Ze diary had specific conditions for gathering Quest counters, and I would be surprised to see something that is like a mix of Quests and Sagas.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would guess a dungeon card is in play at the start, rather than being played from someone's deck. It does nothing until it is "ventured into". When it is completed, presumably by one player or the other, another one is placed in play.
The feeling is that Dungeons might come from outside the deck, similar to Companions or Lesson cards. Too little information so far, but it looks to be a bit weird.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads