• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two halfspears...

CullAfulMoshuN

First Post
I would say that to set a spear against a charge requires planting the butt against your foot or some immovable object and directing the point at the incoming attacker at the last moment. I'm having a hard time picturing how someone would effectly fight with two spears at the same time let alone set both against a charge accurately.

Regardless, if a player IMC could come up with a good enough explaination such as standing with there back against a wall and set a spear either side of them against the wall then I would allow it. It would only be one attack still, but with a +2 circumstance bonus from the second spear. Trying to direct each individually would be two difficult and require precise circumstances and timing that I would consider seperately if such a situation did occur (probably require preparation like a trap with would be safer to orchestrate without the characters standing in the middle of it).

CullAfulMoshuN...

green slime

First Post
CullAfulMoshuN said:
Trying to direct each individually would be two difficult

CullAfulMoshuN...

No, it wouldn't. It would be too difficult, but not two difficult...

And I wouldn't let somebody ready two actions at the same time.

You can't ready two actions if you stand around with a sword in each hand...

Wherein lies the difference?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You can't ready two actions if you stand around with a sword in each hand...

Wherein lies the difference?

Now there's an interesting point.

If you use a ready action to set a spear against a charge, then your initiative resets to just before theirs, and you do double damage with the spear.

After your spear attack, the opponent now attacks you, still retaining his +2/-2 charge modifiers to attack and AC.

Ergo, he is still charging after your attack, or he wouldn't get the +2. (He'd still get the -2 if he'd stopped charging, but that's irrelevant.)

Now, if you're hasted... whether you're using one spear or two, after making your first set-spear attack, you can use your extra partial action before he completes his attack. And since he's still charging, you can use that extra partial action to set your spear against his charge. Again.

Vwap! Don't charge a guy with a Trident and Boots of Speed...

-Hyp.

green slime

First Post
But, Hypersmurf, that does not require the wielder to actually be weilding TWO halfspears...

This whole thread is a blatant attempt at munchkinism... really it is.

I also do not like the idea of having two "set" actions after the ready.

From the SRD:
Ready (Standard)(AoO: No)

Description: The ready action lets a combatant prepare to take an action later, after a combatant's turn is over but before a combatant's next one has begun.
Readying is a standard action, so a combatant can move as well. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that a combatant readies might do so).

Only partial actions can be readied. See the table in the description of "Start full round action" for a list of standard partial actions.

Specify the partial action a combatant will take and the conditions under which it will be taken. When those conditions are met, the combatant may take the readied partial action. The partial action comes before the action that triggers it. For the rest of the fight, the combatant's initiative result is the count on which the combatant took the readied action, and the combatant acts immediately ahead of the combatant whose action triggered the readied action.

If the combatant takes the readied action into a subsequent round, and the conditions are met before the combatant's normal initiative, the combatant's initiative rises to that new point in the order of battle, the combatant may take the readied action, and whether that action is taken or not, the combatant does not get a regular action that round.

So I after reading the above, I'd rule, that the hastedcharacter could ready an action to set a spear to recieve the charge, Make an attack with the set spear during the charge, and have one other attack, due to the haste, but not with the "set to receive charge" bonus.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
But, Hypersmurf, that does not require the wielder to actually be weilding TWO halfspears...

Of course not :) The two spears idea is silly - you're getting lesser strength bonuses, penalties to hit, and lower average damages than just using a shortspear.

Of course it is :)

I also do not like the idea of having two "set" actions after the ready.

So I after reading the above, I'd rule, that the hastedcharacter could ready an action to set a spear to recieve the charge, Make an attack with the set spear during the charge, and have one other attack, due to the haste, but not with the "set to receive charge" bonus.

Which is common sense, of course, and I'd agree that it's a sensible ruling... but I still think that by the letter of the rules, my previous interpretation is legal :)

-Hyp.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
green slime said:

No... This thread is an attempt to prepare a pre-emptive strike against muchkins who might come up with this bright idea suddenly in the middle of combat.

As a DM, I try to think up odd tactics like this, so that I can either... A) If it isn't legal, be prepared with a ruling against it should one of my players get the same idea, or B) Throw it against them, if it is legal.

And so, the debate still rages with now two questions...

1. Can you prepare more than one action at a time, especially preparing to set a weapon against a charge.

2. If it is legal, do you need multiple weapons to do this, or can you do it with a single weapon.

Common sense and logic would tend to say no, and I'd wager most DMs would house rule it. But still, by the book, can it be done?

green slime

First Post
Originally stated by Jack Haggerty
No... This thread is an attempt to prepare a pre-emptive strike against muchkins who might come up with this bright idea suddenly in the middle of combat.

Yes, but nonetheless, the thread itself is an exercise in munchkinism...Whether to preempt or join the ranks of, it is still a practice of munchkinism. ;)

Furthermore Jack Haggerty made the following observation
As a DM, I try to think up odd tactics like this, so that I can either... A) If it isn't legal, be prepared with a ruling against it should one of my players get the same idea, or B) Throw it against them, if it is legal.

There is a third alternative; It is against common sense, and thus shouldn't be allowed in the game. This is what the DM is there to adjucate.

Jack Haggerty went on and asked the following:
And so, the debate still rages with now two questions...

1. Can you prepare more than one action at a time, especially preparing to set a weapon against a charge.

2. If it is legal, do you need multiple weapons to do this, or can you do it with a single weapon.

Well, my answer to these questions are as follows:

1) No, you cannot prepare two "set to receive charge" actions. Even with two weapons. The ready action ONLY permits a single partial action to be readied.

From the SRD:
Ready (Standard)(AoO: No)
...*snip*...

Only partial actions can be readied. See the table in the description of "Start full round action" for a list of standard partial actions.

Specify the partial action a combatant will take and the conditions under which it will be taken. When those conditions are met, the combatant may take the readied partial action. The partial action comes before the action that triggers it.

---*snip*---

Note the singular partial action described in the second paragraph.

I feel fairly confident that readying an action is such a passive state, that I would even remove the chacacter's additional partial action (due to haste), if she didn't take it before readying the action. As haste's extra partial action is assumes an active character, using his full alotment of time, not one that stands around waiting for the opposition to make the first move. (Note that the character may still take the partial action from haste BEFORE readying a partial action.)

However, should this be a problem for you or your players (removing the possibility of gaining your extra partial action due haste from inactivity, You could instead allow the extra partial action from haste AFTER the readied action:

from the SRD
(regarding haste)
On his turn, the subject may take an extra partial action, either before or after his regular action

And as he has already used the "set weapon", rule that it is no longer set. As the charge-attack sequence is motion of events, not a start-stop affair, It is too late to "ready" another action (as the action which would trigger it has already occured, or the first "readied" action would never have triggered!

Thus, they would by this reasoning, still gain a second partial action, and could even attack the charger, but not get a second "set to receive charge" bonus.

2) Having a single or two weapons makes no difference as you can only make a single attack with a partial action.

Jack Haggerty summarised:
Common sense and logic would tend to say no, and I'd wager most DMs would house rule it. But still, by the book, can it be done?

The DM is there to reinforce logic and common sense in the game, his rulings are supposed to hinder and prevent runaway rules lawyers, who blatantly ignore rhyme and reason.

I think I have shown that by the rules, there is a strong argument against setting a weapon (or two) vs a charge, and gaining two attacks, irregardless of haste. YMMV.

Sorry, this got a lot longer than I intended...

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Hmmm..

The double spear idea is creative, dramatic, and fun. Have you considered allowing it?

If my player came up with that idea, and could show how he could brace/set two spears at once, I'd let him do it. Why not reward creativity?

[edit: removed bad-mood language]

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Re: Yuck

Zaruthustran said:
Good grief, you rules lawyers are terrible. The double spear idea is creative, dramatic, and fun. Why not allow it?

If my player came up with that idea, and could show how he could brace/set two spears at once, I'd let him do it. Why not reward creativity? Why get all uptight and let a strict interpretation of the rules ruin your game?

Why not? Because one thing leads to another and pretty soon you have a case of power inflation that you can't stop.

For some, that's perfectly okay. For most, I think, that't too much to handle. There are plenty of options WITHIN the rules.

Remove ads