• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two halfspears...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Here's a thought...

Say I had a medium-sized character dual wielding two halfspears. What would you say about readying both spears against a charge?

The SRD implies that it can't be done, since you can only ready a partial action, thereby disqualifying a full-attack necessary to make two attacks. But does setting a spear against a charge count the same as a standard attack?

But then again, "start a full round action" is a partial action...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
As a partial action, you can make one attack. The fact that certain weapons allow you to deal extra damage when readied for use "against a charge" as a partial action doesn't mean that somehow it is no longer a partial action. You still cannot make more than one attack with it.

The answer to the start full-round action question a bit confusing, but what "Start Full-Round Action" can do is clearly defined on page 127 -- it can start a miscellaneous full-round action that can be completed on the following round. No starting an attack action with it.

So no, you cannot ready both your spears to attack a charging opponent.

Mal-2

First Post
graydoom said:
So no, you cannot ready both your spears to attack a charging opponent.

If you were Hasted you could ready two actions, including, I'd think, setting two spears against a charge.

Mal-2

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Actually, no you couldn't. Haste allows you an extra partial action, and +4 dodge bonus to AC. Once you ready an action, you are "waiting" for something to happen... An enemy to charge you, for example... Which precludes taking anyother action, until that "trigger" happens. So, with haste, you could perform a standard action (partial actiona and a move), then ready an action. But you couldn't really ready two actions at the same time.

I didn't really think the two halfspear trick would or should work, but the idea popped into my head this afternoon while looking through the equipment lists. I had kind of a "hey, wait a minute" moment, and thought I'd toss it out over here, just to make certain.

dcollins

Explorer
Mal-2 said:
If you were Hasted you could ready two actions, including, I'd think, setting two spears against a charge.

It doesn't even matter if being "readied" prevents other actions... "ready" itself is a standard action (PH p. 134), and haste only provides an additional partial action. Hence, no second ready with the haste's extra bit.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It doesn't even matter if being "readied" prevents other actions... "ready" itself is a standard action (PH p. 134), and haste only provides an additional partial action. Hence, no second ready with the haste's extra bit.

PHB p127, Table 8.3

Miscellaneous Partial Actions : Those actions on Table 8-4: Miscellaneous Actions defined as standard or move-equivalent actions.

You can Ready with a partial action.

-Hyp.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

PHB p127, Table 8.3

Miscellaneous Partial Actions : Those actions on Table 8-4: Miscellaneous Actions defined as standard or move-equivalent actions.

You can Ready with a partial action.

-Hyp.

That's not really the question. The question is, can you have two seperate actions readied at the same time?

kamosa

Explorer
dcollins said:

There isn't much difference between a standard action and a partial action. On page 127 it defines partial action as:

"As a general rule, you can do as much with a partial action as you could with a standard action minus a move. Thus you can attack once as a partial action or move your speed, but you can't both move and attack."

So, if you could move and take a ready action, then as a partial action you should be able to take a second ready action. Now I'm not sure about readying two, two-handed weapons, for a charge, but I don't think this can be ruled out via the partial action vs standard action reasoning.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
kamosa said:
Now I'm not sure about readying two, two-handed weapons, for a charge, but I don't think this can be ruled out via the partial action vs standard action reasoning.

Wait... Halfspears are medium-sized. So, a medium character can weild them one-handed. The scenario is that of, say, a human with a halfspear in each hand. Can he ready both of them against a charge?

From the arguements presented, it would seem that he can, but he would have to take one standard action, and an extra partial action (through a Haste spell, for example) to do it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads