• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Skill changes in 3.5

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I do hope that they give a "static" list of knowledge skills, like they have for d20M. The current D&D situation of unlimited knowledge skills rather defeats the object of having an otherwise limited list of explicit skills.

Cheers

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
I do hope that they give a "static" list of knowledge skills, like they have for d20M. The current D&D situation of unlimited knowledge skills rather defeats the object of having an otherwise limited list of explicit skills.

Cheers

What IS the object of having a limited list of explicit skills? The ability to have a consistant mechanic for various different potential actions? How do knowledge skills break that?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Re: Also, skill feats

Destil said:
Skill Focus will be +3 now right?
More +2/+2 feats.

Yes, Skill Focus will be +3 now.

And on the list there are quite a lot +2/+2 Feats.

But I wonder what will become of Combat Casting now (+4 for a single purpose is not so good now, as we get +3 for every single Concentration check with Skill Focus now. Should be +6 now.)

Li Shenron

Legend
What I wonder about those +2/+2 feats is: if there are 2 feats that grant +2 to the same (e.g. feat1=Bluff+Diplo, feat2=Bluff+Intim), do they stack?

Also, I always wondered how people would have liked if instead of increasing Skill Focus to +3 they made it work as real ranks (rising the max/level by 2, together with giving the +2), with all the consequences to possible earlier synergies and earlier qualification for PrCls.

heirodule

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Will innuendo and read lips end up somewhere else? d20m puts innuendo in with bluff, and read lips just vanishes. Since a lot of the other skill changes seem to be close to those in d20m...

I sure hope not. I often use innuendo (a wis based skill) as a "decode the cryptic prophecy" check, since it should deal with all symbolic or non-direct communication.

I don't see it as Charisma based, like bluff.

Li Shenron

Legend
heirodule said:
I sure hope not. I often use innuendo (a wis based skill) as a "decode the cryptic prophecy" check, since it should deal with all symbolic or non-direct communication.

I don't see it as Charisma based, like bluff.

I think it is a very narrow skill. It could have been a different use for Bluff+SenseMotive (sending+receiving a msg) from the start.

Read Lips could have been a rogue specific use of Spot or even Search.

I am not very keen on skill changes with 3.5, but to be honest I liked the original idea of 3e skills of being wide-useful, and while many of 3e skills fulfill this idea perfectly (Wilderness Lore or Spellcraft for example), few of them betray the idea instead.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Li Shenron said:
What I wonder about those +2/+2 feats is: if there are 2 feats that grant +2 to the same (e.g. feat1=Bluff+Diplo, feat2=Bluff+Intim), do they stack?

AFAIK these are unnamed bonuses so they stack (you could take Stealthy, Skill Focus (Hide) and Skill Focus (Move Silently) to get +5 on both skills).

Also, I always wondered how people would have liked if instead of increasing Skill Focus to +3 they made it work as real ranks (rising the max/level by 2, together with giving the +2), with all the consequences to possible earlier synergies and earlier qualification for PrCls.

I don't think that's a good Idea.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Plane Sailing said:

Cheers

No more so than Craft and Profession do.

Remove ads