• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Next Playtest Packet?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Fatigue is definitely an issue. In the forum community at least, I think smaller, but more frequent playtests would have inspired more focused, productive discussions, but either way, the May 2023 content was unlikely to generate as much excitement as the August 2022 content.
I think part of the problem is the peacemeal way they’ve been introducing changes. With the D&D Next playtest, every packet was a complete vertical slice of the game, so I was excited to test out the newest version of the rules every time one came out. With this playtest, I’d have to kitbash a few random different versions of a few classes and rules glossary items into an otherwise normal 5e campaign for a few months, only to have some of those hacks change when the next UA drops. Not a very appealing proposition to me.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If I do end up getting the new edition, I'm just going to make weapon mastery something everyone can do if they are proficient with the weapon, I didn't like the implementation of limited masteries that you can swap around during a rest, instead I'll just have them as weapon properties.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I feel like the easiest approach would just be to make them 19th level feats, since every class has an ASI there already.
That would work, yeah.
I'm curious to see what they're doing with Rogue, who their first instinct was to nerf, and now they're also putting their second subclass feature back to... level 9...

Because 2014 edition did everything right, it's not like everyone else gets a huge power jump at lv5, while Rogues... don't. It's like a subclass feature would sure make sense there.
Yeah idk what the deal is there. I didn’t like waiting until level 9 for the second expertise, either. We’ll see what this version looks like.

Idk why they think Uncanny Dodge is too big to have something else sit next to it at level 5, tbh. Just drop expertise down to 5th, second subclass feature to 6th

Last edited:

Reef

Hero
If I do end up getting the new edition, I'm just going to make weapon mastery something everyone can do if they are proficient with the weapon, I didn't like the implementation of limited masteries that you can swap around during a rest, instead I'll just have them as weapon properties.
What are you planning to replace it with for Fighters and such?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Are you going to give classes that get masteries other features at those levels to compensate?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Probably they will di that, and probably guidance on awarding Feats past Level 20.
I really hope they let some epic boon feats be available earlier than that. IMO, the idea that epic = post level 20 is just completely dumb.

Hercules wasn’t super high level, he was a demi-god. He had an epic boon at level 4 or 8, not at level 19 or after level 20.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads