• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Next Playtest Packet?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Summary:
  • released tomorrow!
  • biggest so far!
  • 7 classes, revised spells, new subclasses. Some entirely new; class could have 2.
  • return of some 2014 features; some new features.
  • weapon mastery a hit. "is here to stay" -- and will also be available to rogue, paladin, monk, etc.
  • 20th level features return to 20th level (epic boon feats gone for now; will be revisited in a later UA).
  • subclass progressions now match 2014 progressions, but all subclasses start at level 3. This will "ensure cleaner compatibility".
  • Rogues get "cunning strike" -- new feature.
  • UA6 is about "what brings joy" to players. The 2024 book is starting to come into focus.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay so far I’ve caught:

Rogues get Cunning Strike. The name suggests a BA attack, to me, or a BA feature that makes an attack better.

Rogues, Rangers, Monks, maybe Paladins (I don’t recall) are getting weapon mastery. Plus side is obvious, downside is potentially even less uniqueness to the fighter unless they really dial up the special mastery features for fighters stuff.

Shadow Monks are in the playtest, and reference the Shadowfell. Smart.

Multiple new subclasses will be tested.

A new spell, and revised spells.

No Epic Boon Feat as a “class feature”, but they still want to do something with them.
— I think they should give one at levels 13, 15, 17, and 19, with some chains in there so you can really dial in an epic theme, but I doubt they’ll do that.

I am really hoping, we see primal spells in the bard class.

I still hope that the design team has not backpedaled too much and actually refined the new options.

I am ok with going back to 2014 subclass progression of that means, we get mkre cool features.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
No Epic Boon Feat as a “class feature”, but they still want to do something with them.
— I think they should give one at levels 13, 15, 17, and 19, with some chains in there so you can really dial in an epic theme, but I doubt they’ll do that.
I feel like the easiest approach would just be to make them 19th level feats, since every class has an ASI there already.

I'm curious to see what they're doing with Rogue, who their first instinct was to nerf, and now they're also putting their second subclass feature back to... level 9...

Because 2014 edition did everything right, it's not like everyone else gets a huge power jump at lv5, while Rogues... don't. It's like a subclass feature would sure make sense there.

Remove ads