• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How could 4E be more elegant?

ashockney

First Post
Going from the core three handbooks, and focusing exclusively on combat:

Conditions - There are 50 basic conditions for a character or on a battlefield. Could this be narrowed down to 10 conditions, with differing "degrees"? I think so. Tactical feats that have condition triggers then can be based off of those conditions. There can be a whole sub-system on how differring conditions interact. Again, another good use for skills (improving one's combat condition). There are over 50 magic items, and 40 types of spells that can alter conditions on the field, or for the participants in a combat. Coming up with a more effective way to track these conditions would also be beneficial (ie, a common language/symbol) to represent different conditions on a character or on a battlefield. A great deal of confusion around AOO has to do with the non-elegance of the existing "condition" system, including actually listing out whole tables to detail how you can end up in just this ONE condition...further the condition can actually break a fundamental rule of combat...actions occur only on your turn.

Initiative works pretty well, and is much more locked down.

Combat Actions - There are 47 types of basic combat actions. Plus another 20 based on feats, 20 based on class, and 20 from magic items. Yep, throw in combat actions by "line of spell" and you've got another 50. Whew! That's versatility, but I'm not sure how elegant it is. Perhaps more combat action modifiers, and less combat actions? I think we could narrow this down to about 40 basic combat actions (10 for each major type of class) and another 5 - 10 specialized combat actions for those who specialize in a type of combat action (ie, more power, less versatility). Or perhaps these combat actions could be tied directly to a class, to much further streamline abilities/complexity.

Movement - this system actually is pretty elegant, and works fairly well. Not too much tinkering. Clear advantages for some classes over others. 20 movement actions. Not many variations on those actions, primarily only modifiers to the existing actions. A model for an effective and elegant system in 4e. The only area for improvement here is really tied to "condition" (see above) and clearer understanding/marking.

Attack Bonus - 18 basic modifiers that compute the attack bonus. Not too bad. There's a small opportunity to streamline here. I would say the greater emphasis would be put on ensuring consistency and constraint when it comes to modifiers. Making it part of the core rules and d20 license (thereby locking down the total bonus modifiers) would go a long way toward ensuring consistency and balance in the 4e environment.

Defense (AC) - 26 basic modifiers form armor class in the game. Too much to keep track of, so there is a big opportunity here. The system is far more elegant, however, in that there are not a whole competing set of "defensive" combat actions. The "intterupt" component must be eliminated in a more elegant 4e. Adding this unnecessary level of complexity DOUBLES the number of steps in the combat process. There are 14 as it is. Yikes!

Calculating Damage - Elegant? No. Calculus? Yes. Weapon Damage, Energy Damage, Bane (alignment or creature type), Force, Magic (non-classed/non-DR), Condition Trigger: Sneak Attack/Precise Strike, Non-lethal, Attribute, and Negative Level, Critical. 10 basic types of damage, with significant "sub" types of damage. Lots of modifiers to these base damages, including going in three dimensions (modifiers AND multipliers). Overall, this is a nice process. A few recommendations to streamline and make more elegant: defenses need to be across an entire type (not at the sub-type level) (too complex), or reduce the number of types of damage. The critical mulitpliers shouldn't go up to x4, under any circumstance. How did this make it through playtesting? There is a significant difference in x2 and x3 crit multipliers, and it should be dependent upon a combination of skill AND weapon. Not, just type of weapon (ideally). This is particularly challenging to balance at the higher levels, with so many modifiers. Also, the same kind of note applies as attack (see above) regarding putting a hard cap on the type and maximum # of modifiers to ensure balance.

Damage Resolution - Nice system. Flesh this out a little bit more, and it would be even better. Damage Avoidance, Damage Reduction, and Damage Immunity. Very nice! Sub types are clearly broken down (low, mod, high - 25%, 50%, 100% and 5/-, 10/-, and 15/-). Basically perfect. For basic damage reduction, get rid of alignment and adopt the low, medium, high using silver, magic, cold iron, and go universal with it.

How's this for a start to a more elegant 4E?

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? I invite a dialogue, as I think these threads will be a great foundation for the author's of 4E to begin with, and standing up to tests from peers would be a great measure of an improvement's veracity!

ender_wiggin

First Post
I would like to see classes become more generalized, allowing further diversification within each class.

In fact, if I had my way, classes would be abolished altogether, and the only thing that remains is "background". "Background" is a user-defined term that determines hit die, saving throw progression, class skills, and skill points. For example, you might elect to have a high hit die type with two "good" saving throw progression in return for a low number of skill points and limited class skills.

All special abilities, including spells, are bought like feats. M&M is a great system to model this after. All abilities have point costs attached to them, to that the ones that are more powerful cost more. Also, these abilities can be modified to increase or decrease price in return for extras or flaws. Obviously, many of these abilities have prerequisites, just like feats, so it is necessary to build ability trees in order to access the highest level abilities.

reanjr

First Post
ashockney said:
Going from the core three handbooks, and focusing exclusively on combat:

Conditions - ...

Definitely agree on reducing the number conditions and making them degrees of one another is good idea. Dazed and Stunned could be Light Stun, Heavy Stun or something like that. Shaken, Frightened, Panicked I think would be best renamed to something that is more intuitive to us English speakers, like Frightened, Scared, Terrified. I'm OK with Dying and Death because they are so obvious, but disabled, staggered, and stable have got to go. How about Conscious and Unconscious for whether you have cognizance and can act, and Dying and, well, not dying for whether you are losing HP. These can be exclusive to one another (just because you are dying does not mean you are unconscious; a common situation that D&D just has nothing to offer). I could continue...

Initiative works pretty well, and is much more locked down.

Initiative is about as simple as it gets, though I think the actions you take on your initiative could be simplified.

Combat Actions - ...

Go further. I think combat actions can be limited to about a half dozen. Many things could be rolled into one (drawing a weapon and retreiving something from a pack do NOT need to be seperate actions). Using a Book of Iron Might style Combat Maneuver system removes Trip, Disarm, etc. and grants a slew of versatility (moreso than D&D's 50 actions or so). There should be three action types (really two, but...) action, full-round action, and not an action. That's it. That's all you need. The rest is chaff. Confusing chaff.

Movement - ...

Only problem with movement is the system can not handle a chase scene. That needs to be remedied.

Attack Bonus - ...

There are too many modifiers. Make only one attack per round. There is no need to have a distinction for Base Attack and Attack, which is confusing. If you are feeling adventurous, you can split the attack roll into something like Brute Attack (for axes) and Finesse Attack (for rapier, bows, etc.). This would replace Melee, Missile, and Base Attack Bonus. All modifiers should stack for simplicity. The only reason this is a problem in the current system is because magic effects are all the same thing rehashed over and over again. If the magic effects had creativity in them (instead of this grants a Strength-enhancement bonus, while this grants a Strength-luck bonus, while this grants a Strength-inherent bonus, while this grants a Strength-it's-wednesday-morning-so-I-am-tough bonus) it wouldn't be a problem. The designers just have to make sure they stop creating so many overlapping effects. Determining whether things stack was a pain in previous editions. 3e didn't fix it by making bonus types; it bandaged the problem in the hopes that the system wouldn't bleed to death in complexity. Remove restrictions on stacking, and all these problems go away.

Defense (AC) - ...

Again, remove stacking limits and you have no problems. I have a somewhat-elegant system for parrying (which consists of a single action, that's it) but while it's simple to explain it involves changing how actions per turn works, so I'll let it go for now.

Calculating Damage - ...

Multipliers should only multiply the die. Remove bonuses to damage from high strength. Reduce damage from spells, sneak attack, etc. Once you have brought the game down to this level the damage calculations become pretty simple. Remove negative HP. It's dumb; it's broken.

Damage Resolution - ...

Sounds like a good start.

How's this for a start to a more elegant 4E?

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? I invite a dialogue, as I think these threads will be a great foundation for the author's of 4E to begin with, and standing up to tests from peers would be a great measure of an improvement's veracity!

The_Universe

First Post
Dear Santa Claus,

Please don't remove iterative attacks. They make so much...sense. Higher level character should get more than one chance to hit in a round.

My two cents.

reanjr

First Post
The_Universe said:
Dear Santa Claus,

Please don't remove iterative attacks. They make so much...sense. Higher level character should get more than one chance to hit in a round.

My two cents.

Allow me finish my thought on this, then.

Each character gets two actions per round. Two basic types of actions: those that do not require checks (movement or drawing a weapon for instance) and those that do (attacking). You can perform as many additional actions per round as you would like as long as those actions require checks (2 non-check actions per round is the absolute max). For each action above 2 in a single round, you receive a -5 penalty to all checks. So, you still have more than one attack in a round, but they are all at the same attack bonus, making it much simpler and quicker. In addition, you can make a single, careful, planned strike against a hard to hit target.

Fighter +20 attack bonus Attacks four times in a round. For taking four actions that round, he receives a -10 penalty to his actions. So it's +10/+10/+10/+10. If it's something that requires your full +20 to hit anyway, then the other three rolls (+15/+10/+5) in the normal system were pointless to make in the first place. In addition, you can always add some other action to the list, like drawing your sword in the first place. This would be a fifth action, reducing your bonus to +5 for your attacks. You could also buff yourself with a Bull's Strength (if you could cast it somehow) for extra damage, though you'd now be to +0 for your attacks. But you've accomplished a lot this round.

DM adjudicates any reasonable limitation he sees fit (No, you can't attack 200 times this round at -970 penalty and still hit an average of 5% of the time). Optionally, you could remove the 20 always succeeds rule when using extra actions as it makes sense. If you need more than a 20 to hit then you probably should be trying real hard to concentrate on getting a good hit in.

This simple rule change removes a lot of the complexity in the game as well.

Since I've already explained this, I might as well go ahead and explain my parrying idea as well. Any turn you can declare a hold action. This action counts against your actions in the round (giving you a -5 if you go over two) and can be used for any of the following actions:

Attack of Opportunity*
Receive Charge - cause double damage to charging opponent
Parry - before an attack is rolled against you, declare to use your hold action for a parry. You make an attack (using any penalties for additional actions used in the round you held) and use the result as your AC for that attack or your regular AC, whichever is higher (similar to the Ride skill).
... anything else appropriate ...

* Remove automatic AoOs, they slow things down too much. Also remove movement AoOs as they make the game so slow and complicated and grid-necessitating

[edit] Addendum:

Feats that normally allow you to do one more of something allow you to do that without taking an action (and thus not incurring penalties for extra actions). For instance, Rapid Shot grants you an additional missile weapon shot each round. At your prerogitive, you may allow this any time or only when the character only shoots this round. So the +20 fighter with Rapid Shot could shoot three shots in a round each at +20. Four shots would be at +15.

Combat Reflexes would grant an additional Hold Action each round that could only be used for an Attack of Opportunity. You may take it multiple times, but only up to your Dex bonus.

Last edited:

ashockney

First Post
Dear Santa Claus...you're cracking me up, Universe!

Amazingly, Reanjr I had almost the EXACT same solution on attacks. Expecially required at higher levels. I think this should definitely be the foudnation for 4E. In my verison you get minus 3, minus 6, and minus 8, and have to have double the BAB to get the iterative attacks. It's almost the exact same thing. I LOVE the idea of factoring in another set of actions into this basic, more elegant combat action system (ala Book of Iron Might), although I'm waiting for that book to come out in paperback to get a copy, and I haven't seen it at my local gamestore yet. I think in streamlining the combat action system, there is some advantage to a core system/subsystem, which would provide a reasonable amount of versatility, to provide a distinctive play experience between players, and when playing different characters. If you lose that, it becomes too much like Champs. Which, for as balanced, as a game system as that is, I can't get players to stick around in that game too long, because the play experience is simply not different enough between players, and as you grow/develop your character. Oversimplifying here could have some unintended negative consequences.

Reanjr, thanks for the feedback on all the other items, it sounds like (at least structurally) of like mind on ways to improve 4E and make it more elegant, in the process.

I'm intrigued by your comment on movement, as I've found the existing movement system, albeit a bit quantitative in resolving a chase scene.

Anyone have an opposing view to any of these recommended changes? If so, why? Support a counter arguement to improve the future of our discussion and the foundation for 4E!

woodelf

First Post
The_Universe said:
Iterative attacks aren't the only way to have multiple attacks. Frex, you could simply get more attacks at some rate, and make all of them at the same attack bonus.

ashockney

First Post
It seems woodelf also sees the benefit in streamlining the combat actions, particularly at higher levels.

I'd love to hear from others on why or why not you think these changes could form the foundation of a new, more elegant 4th Edition?

glass

(he, him)
woodelf said:
The_Universe said:
Iterative attacks aren't the only way to have multiple attacks. Frex, you could simply get more attacks at some rate, and make all of them at the same attack bonus.

The other advantage of D&D's iterative attacks is that it can make bonuses or penalties which wouldn't make any real diference to one of the attacks significant.

Not sure how big a deal that is, or if there is another way of achieving it.

EDIT: But I certainly see the benefit of reducing the number of attacks available to high level characters. I once created a character (admittedly an epic character for a deliberatly OTT campaign) who had 11 attacks per round. Combat took forever.

glass.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads