• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At My Most Burned-Out in 35 Years

We're playing 4e, and I'm the only one with the old Character Builder installed, which is apparently necessary for them to play the game. It's too much to do with books, paper and pencil. They are really into 4e, or so they say.

Its really not too much at all though, just takes some dilligence to update everything. If they don't have their own books (understandable) you might consider printing out the page with the level up chart (26?) so its easier for them to reference.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Retreater, you've been complaining about your gaming situation on here for a LONG time now. And people have given you advice on questions here and there. But you always seem to have reasons you can't or won't take certain measures to make things easier for yourself. Well, if you are this exhausted, it is HIGH TIME to take time off. Push off the responsibility onto someone else for a while, and if nobody is willing to do that, then LET THE GROUPS DIE for now. Maybe you'll be able to bring them back up when you've gotten some time away, maybe not. But this burning the candle at both ends is turning this hobby into a thankless job. And you don't seem to want that.
Yeah @Retreater if you don't make a change you're gonna ... I donno, it seems like you're burnt out already.

Switch off the character builder and give them PDFs. Have them get their own PDFs.

Helping players level up is one thing, but leveling up characters for the players yourself is pretty telling.

You're either doing this to yourself because you want to be miserable and a martyr, because you want to be a focal point for attention (which is an acceptable motivation), or .. some other reason.

Just stop- the players play in a way in that accommodates you not being burnt out, or you stop playing.

I can't counsel you on your wife's attitude- talk to her about it.

Meech17

Adventurer
We're playing 4e, and I'm the only one with the old Character Builder installed, which is apparently necessary for them to play the game. It's too much to do with books, paper and pencil. They are really into 4e, or so they say.
Oh come on man.

Gygax and the OGs used to record their characters on NOTEBOOK paper.

I've got my players on paper with pencil as well. Apps and web based sheets are a nicety but they are far from a necessity. I'd print them all blank character sheets and tell them moving forward they weren't getting any more pre-filled ones unless they do it themselves.

I don't know if it's possible but offer to give them the program if they bring a flash drive to the next session.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
"Doctor, it hurts when I go like this..."
rorschach___great_clown_pagliacci__option_w.png

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Oh come on man.

Gygax and the OGs used to record their characters on NOTEBOOK paper.

I've got my players on paper with pencil as well. Apps and web based sheets are a nicety but they are far from a necessity. I'd print them all blank character sheets and tell them moving forward they weren't getting any more pre-filled ones unless they do it themselves.

I don't know if it's possible but offer to give them the program if they bring a flash drive to the next session.
We still use notebook paper for some of our games... Sometimes it can be nice to get away from the trade dress.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yesterday, I rushed home from the wedding party game. Got home just in time to level up 5 characters for the players, printed out 30 pages of character sheets, organized the table, and had about 1 hour to lay down and feel hopeless that I had nothing to run for the group. (My previous planned encounters had been made worthless when the group decided to flee the adventure the previous session.) No suitable pre-made adventures were available, because I'm running a dead system notorious for bad adventures.
This. Just.....no.

You went to a wedding that was 4 hours away, ran a game at a wedding, and then drove back just so you could run another game?

Why?!?

If you can't say to your group "Sorry, no game Sunday, I'm going to be at a wedding on Saturday 4 hours away" without getting pushback from your group, there's a level of toxicity there I'm having trouble understanding.

Retreater

Legend
This. Just.....no.

You went to a wedding that was 4 hours away, ran a game at a wedding, and then drove back just so you could run another game?

Why?!?

If you can't say to your group "Sorry, no game Sunday, I'm going to be at a wedding on Saturday 4 hours away" without getting pushback from your group, there's a level of toxicity there I'm having trouble understanding.
I considered it.
One of the players lost her dad last week and asked specifically that we play to help boost her spirits. So I didn't suggest taking the day off.

Retreater

Legend
I have a player in one of the groups (albeit, the less exhausting one) who volunteered to run a short adventure. I'll see if he's up for that. The more exhausting group, maybe I can tell them to handle their characters and rules on their own if they think they enjoy 4e so much? It still doesn't help me with adventure prep, but it takes a little bit of load off.

Remove ads