• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e - Forseeing the shape of thing to come?

In your opinion, what could be core in 4th edition...

• New core races from the Complete series like goliaths or illumians

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • New core races from Eberron such as warforged, shifters, changelings

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • New core races from Forgotten Realms such as planetouched

Votes: 52 19.6%
  • New core classes from Complete such as ninja and warlock

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • New core classes from Eberron such as artificers and magewrights

Votes: 47 17.7%
  • Swift and Immediate Actions (and spells) from the Complete series

Votes: 158 59.6%
  • Action Points

Votes: 137 51.7%
  • the Deathless type of monster (Eberron, Ghostwalk)

Votes: 45 17.0%
  • Flaws (from Unearthed Arcana)

Votes: 72 27.2%
  • Metamagic Feat overhaul

Votes: 190 71.7%
  • DnD will remain d20 rules based

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • Spell names will be simplified leaving out Greyhawk wizard names

Votes: 122 46.0%

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
BelenUmeria said:
Interestingly enough, I just found out that the WOTC Delegate program does not support DnD. They support DnD Minis, but you cannot run DnD demos.

This makes perfect sense. D&D is too hard to effectively demonstrate quickly -- and there's actually likely to be less money in it long-term than something collectible.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Before it will be called 4th Edition it will have to be *significantly different* from 3rd edition. New classes and races are cosmetic. Compiling content from the splat/sourcebooks is not "new edition" -- that would simply be a 3.5 Compiled Sourcebook.

Not necessarily.

However, two of the top items on my list that will be changed are:
* Metamagic
* Turn Undead

Both are mechanics that the designers have indicated they're not entirely happy with.

We will probably also see a wholesale rebalancing of monsters, feats, classes and spells.

Swift and Immediate actions will make their way into the core rules, as they are too useful as terms to be left out - consider that what they describe already exists in the core rules.

The game mechanics will remain using the d20 System.

Cheers!

GodPhoenix

First Post
I chose Flaws b/c i'd LIKE to see flaws...but I'm pretty sure that they would put emphasis on minis. Personally, I like mini's and use them a lot...but they should not be required.

Um...Did I miss something? Is WOTC actually planning a 4th edition already??

Thx.

GodPhoenix said:
I chose Flaws b/c i'd LIKE to see flaws...but I'm pretty sure that they would put emphasis on minis. Personally, I like mini's and use them a lot...but they should not be required.

Um...Did I miss something? Is WOTC actually planning a 4th edition already??

Thx.
Nope, you didn't miss a thing. Charles Ryan(I believe it was him...) actually said on these boards just a few weeks back that there are not any current plans for 4e.

edbonny

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
I skimmed through the replies, but didn't see anyone mention this:
The new races (goliaths and illumians are mentioned) are from the Races books, not the Complete books. I dont' think the Complete books have new races at all.

mea culpa - I meant to say "Races" when I accidentlally types "Complete"

- Ed

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Nope, you didn't miss a thing. Charles Ryan(I believe it was him...) actually said on these boards just a few weeks back that there are not any current plans for 4e.
Really? Can you please provide a link to that?

Personally, considering that 3.5 was being planned before 3.0 was out the door (IIRC, it was Monte who told about this shortly after 3.5 was released), I would not be too sure about 4.0 not being in the planning stages at least. Personally, I think it is much further along, but that is me.

First off, Charles Ryan would never admit it was being worked on because of the simple fact that once a company says that a new edition is being worked on, all sales for the old edition tend to die, swiftly and surely. Thus announcing a new edition, or confirming rumors about one before being ready to take advantage of it would be a very bad thing. Now, I saw an interview with him early last summer (or late spring) where somebody pretty much asked him about 4.0 and the most that the interviewer could get out of him was that:

"the product schedule was done 18 months in advance and that 4.0 was not on the product schedule".

And the part in quote marks above is a summary of his responses, as his actually comments tried not to say the above in any definitive manner either. :D

As I have said before, I personally think that we will see 4.0 be released at GenCon in either 2006 or 2008 (I lean more towards the 2006 date though). I also believe that it will be much more minis oriented, and won't be OGL. Again, these are only my opinions, and are not based on any sort of hard facts, only on my observations and correlations. :D

Ulrick

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

Yeah...that's what they said about 3e. :uhoh:

They would say, "No. There's no plans to make 3e. None."

But they would have polls in Dragon Magazine "If we would put out another version of the game, what would like to see in it?"

4e is coming. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But it will arrive in the next couple years when they run out of products that sell for 3e.

Searching for that quote now...

But really, there isn't any evidence, at the moment, to hint at 4e anytime soon. ESPECIALLY considering the 2005 project schedule, which sees the launch of at least three new books series.

Ah, ha, found the quote. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1899176&postcount=40

Note that he specifically mentions that we'll likely be given 'a year or two' notice in advance of 4e. But then again, we gamers are a very annoying bunch who refuse to believe anything we're told. :p

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I ended up voting for what I would like to see rather than what I thought would actually make it. I would like to see an expanded selection of races and classes beyond the usual array found in D&D. However, I don't expect to see much more than maybe 1 or 2 new races and classes (each) in 4.0.

Now, I do have to say that I don't want a 4th edition. I'm having a blast with 3.5 and with the OGL movement giving me all sorts of settings to play in and combine to my mish-mashing pleasure I can't imagine moving on to another edition. I've spent more money on D20 products than I ever did for all of the other games I've played in my like combined, so why would I want to start buying something else? It would have to be an EXTREMELY good system for me to want to pour my money into it (and my time converting 3.5 material or vice versa).

To heck with 4.0 I say!!! Vive la 3.5!!!

Kane

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads