• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1E Fiend Folio monsters in 4E Monster Manual!

Darkwolf71

First Post
Imban said:
No, Drow were technically in the original AD&D monster manual, but only given a very short blurb. However, you're right in that Drow were much more fleshed out into basically the race that they are today in the Fiend Folio.
I believe most of the mechanics were actually in G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King. FF's 'fleshing out' mainly expanded the fluff.

coyote6

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Awesome trivia: our newest admin Plane Sailing is the original author of the Quillan, the Stunjelly and the Shadow Demon in the 1e FF!

Did he get residuals for the D&D cartoon?

Probably not. Damn work-for-hire contracts! ;)

A'koss

Explorer
JohnSnow said:
I...seriously...hope...you're...being...sarcastic. :heh:
What? Me persiflage?

;)

'Cuz I was just about to say "Dear god...please, by all that's holy. NO Lava Children!"

I have seriously bad memories of trying to batter one to death with a torch. My DM thought they were "cool."
Heh...

A good buddy of mine in my old 1e group absolutely loved the FF, right down to the last horn-y bunny, bobble-headed mort. That was his book. So every once in a while when I'd hand over the DMing reins to him, he'd repopulate entire dungeons with obscure FF monsters. And I distinctly remember our party being nearly TPK'd by an encounter with these Newman's. Actually, my fighter/thief did buy it in that fight IIRC, because one could figure out how to hurt them (and having fire-happy magic user certainly helped to speed up our demise). :lol:

JohnSnow

Hero
A'koss said:
And I distinctly remember our party being nearly TPK'd by an encounter with these Newman's. Actually, my fighter/thief did buy it in that fight IIRC, because one could figure out how to hurt them (and having fire-happy magic user certainly helped to speed up our demise). :lol:

Yeah. That sounds about right. I survived my first encounter with Lava Children thru nothing other than sheer, unadulterated luck. We were on the ropes, nothing we did could hurt them, and I was surrounded by the little blighters. I though I was a goner, but I don't give up easy, so, in desperation, my character smacked one in the face with a lit torch.

The fire, of course, did nothing, but the little bastard actually reeled from the impact. I remember shouting something like "Wood! They're vulnerable to wood!!" Next thing I knew, our archers were snapping the heads off their arrows.

Ahhh...good times, good times.

Same campaign, same DM, later event....and I was wondering what the hell the gaunt yellow dudes (githyanki, natch) kept coming after me for. I mean, all I did was capture one stinking sword...

Those were fun, if somewhat immature games. My friend wasn't real big on using monster special abilities, and he liked handing out treasure, so they got a bit silly. My better games all came later.

Tewligan

First Post
A'koss said:
A good buddy of mine in my old 1e group absolutely loved the FF, right down to the last horn-y bunny, bobble-headed mort. That was his book. So every once in a while when I'd hand over the DMing reins to him, he'd repopulate entire dungeons with obscure FF monsters. And I distinctly remember our party being nearly TPK'd by an encounter with these Newman's. Actually, my fighter/thief did buy it in that fight IIRC, because one could figure out how to hurt them (and having fire-happy magic user certainly helped to speed up our demise). :lol:
I ran a 1e one-shot a few weeks ago, and actually had a couple of FF monsters in it - it was a wizard's manor being overrun with weird-ass monsters, and what better source of weird-ass monsters than the FF? An algoid came bursting out of a soup kettle, and a little later the aforementioned tirapheg came stumping down a staircase after them. There were a couple of caryatid columns and a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing on the grounds as well, but the party never encountered them. :(

Cam Banks

Adventurer
HP Dreadnought said:
I can't believe nobody has brought up the Norker! The ultimate opponent for high damage output parties!

I think you're thinking of the nilbog. The norker was a hobgoblin cousin who hung out in dungeons mostly naked and with a big club.

Cheers,
Cam

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Sir Brennen said:
Who doesn't love a good mummy-made-of-flypaper?

I just recently used them!

Then again, one of my goals for my current campaign is to use as many 1E Fiend Folion monsters as possible.

I hope to see lava children and needlemen in there!

Remove ads