• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1E Fiend Folio monsters in 4E Monster Manual!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Just posted by Mike Mearls:

"If you see a creature that originally appeared in 1e Fiend Folio in the 4e Monster Manual, you can probably blame me for its presence. I'm pretty sure almost all the FF originals are my direct responsibility.

"Just wanted to get that out there, so the blame can be correctly apportioned."

from his Gleemax blog.

Imban

First Post
Mortellan said:
Weren't Drow technically first in FF?

No, Drow were technically in the original AD&D monster manual, but only given a very short blurb. However, you're right in that Drow were much more fleshed out into basically the race that they are today in the Fiend Folio.

A'koss

Explorer
MerricB said:
Death Knight, Githyanki... what else?

Cheers!
Where to begin...?

Elemental Princes of Evil
Drow
Mountain Giant
Grell
Hook Horror
Kuo-Toa
Lizard King
Mephits
Mezzodemon/Nycademon
Retriever
Shadow Demon
Skeleton Warrior
Slaadi
Sons of Kyuss
Svirfneblin

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Slaadi have a place in 4E per W&M. There's also a drawing of the Mountain Giant reconcept in W&M. In the style of all the other mini concept art for 4E that is making its appearance in recent sets like Desert of Desolation and Dungeons of Dread. My money is that the Mountain Giant is in the MM, amongst others.

Beckett

Explorer
Slaads are mentioned in Worlds & Monsters in the Elemental Chaos (natch).

My personal feeling is, any of Charles Stross' creatures gets a free pass. The rest of the FF... well, we'll talk.

Remove ads