• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) YOU are in charge of the next PHB! What do you change?

Remathilis

Legend
Yet that is how the game works. Rolled stats are assumed, as is a base ASI. Neither of those is likely changing.
We'll see. ASI hasn't been a consistent element of the game, and rolled stats have waxed and waned. It's completely possible a new character generation method to replace both could exist without explicitly invalidating older books.

The ASIs and ribbon abilities were supposed to reinforce archetype, but now they are moving (rightly so, imo) away from that to allow more variety in characters and to distance the game from essentialism. Racial feats, like in pathfinder 2e, could be the solution of allowing both for archetype and variety, but I feel that gets too crunchy and potentially bloaty for many if not most 5e players.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
We'll see. ASI hasn't been a consistent element of the game, and rolled stats have waxed and waned. It's completely possible a new character generation method to replace both could exist without explicitly invalidating older books.
Possibly something like survivor statblocks or a low power array. Not because they do something better or worse so much as the fact that it's one of the least painful ways to partially undo the mistake of designing the math of 5e with zero allowance for magic items by forcing some room for them.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The ASIs and ribbon abilities were supposed to reinforce archetype, but now they are moving (rightly so, imo) away from that to allow more variety in characters and to distance the game from essentialism. Racial feats, like in pathfinder 2e, could be the solution of allowing both for archetype and variety, but I feel that gets too crunchy and potentially bloaty for many if not most 5e players.
Instead of feats, just bake them into the class as choices, like they're doing for Level Up. When you reach whateverth level, pick one of these 2-3 options. Ditto for races. You are an elf, so pick one of these options. Back in 3e, it seemed like every book was coming up with new feats, but if they're reduced to choices within a race or class, I don't think people will be racing to make as many new ones.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I view one as Wicca or Druidic revivalism and the other as the remnants of the old religion.
In the new setting I'm developing, one as modernization of the Nature cult and the other as the hard lining of specific aspects.

Same with grave clerics and a witch doctor class.

Instead of feats, just bake them into the class as choices, like they're doing for Level Up. When you reach whateverth level, pick one of these 2-3 options. Ditto for races. You are an elf, so pick one of these options. Back in 3e, it seemed like every book was coming up with new feats, but if they're reduced to choices within a race or class, I don't think people will be racing to make as many new ones.
When you level up in a class, the in-game explanation is that you get better at doing "your job." Certainly, it stretches plausibility, but still kind of tracks to a fantasy version of getting better a thing when you practice. But what is leveling up as a race? Does an elf get better at being elf-y? Or become more elf-y over time, but only if they practice (i.e. gain xp)? Again, there's a tension between archetype and world building, imo.

Granted, I never was one for finding synergies or mechanical character building, and I get tired of classic fantasy, so I'm probably the wrong audience for that kind of change anyway.

Remathilis

Legend
Back in 3e, it seemed like every book was coming up with new feats, but if they're reduced to choices within a race or class, I don't think people will be racing to make as many new ones.
4e, and Pathfinder 2e, both took this path. Feats for race, class, skills, and general (and probably more, it's been a minute). What I remembered was that the vast majority of those feats were boring. +2 to a certain action with a skill. +1 to a certain attack roll. Use a racial or class feature an additional time. Rare and powerful were the feats that actually gave you something interesting to do with your PC beyond "I'm a wee bit better at x".

Say what you will about 5e feats, most of them at least feel like they give you new abilities rather than improve combat and skill math...

Undrave

Legend
If I was in charge the Wizard wouldn't have 8 friggin' subclass based on their most boring aspect (magic schools). Maneuvers would be a thing all Martial types could (potentially) have, with their own section of the book the same way there's a Spells section. Some would just be things you can DO all the time without needing to spend a ressource (like a Barbarian just using Menacing Attack every turn to frighten someone, and Reckless Attack would be a maneuver), some would require to spend Superiority Dice. How to gain Superiority dice would be different from subclass to subclasses.

4e, and Pathfinder 2e, both took this path. Feats for race, class, skills, and general (and probably more, it's been a minute). What I remembered was that the vast majority of those feats were boring. +2 to a certain action with a skill. +1 to a certain attack roll. Use a racial or class feature an additional time. Rare and powerful were the feats that actually gave you something interesting to do with your PC beyond "I'm a wee bit better at x".

Say what you will about 5e feats, most of them at least feel like they give you new abilities rather than improve combat and skill math...
Channel Divinity feats and the MC Feats were a great way to add a new tool to your arsenal. Ritual Casting was neat for non-casters too.

Faolyn

(she/her)
When you level up in a class, the in-game explanation is that you get better at doing "your job." Certainly, it stretches plausibility, but still kind of tracks to a fantasy version of getting better a thing when you practice. But what is leveling up as a race? Does an elf get better at being elf-y? Or become more elf-y over time, but only if they practice (i.e. gain xp)? Again, there's a tension between archetype and world building, imo.
Well, racial bits can be one-and-done (although LU has paragon gifts, which are tied to your heritage and come at 10th level). Although you could say that yes, some racial abilities can get better. Elves have elf weapon training (which automatically gets better as you level up anyway) and magic or hiding abilities, both of which can be expanded upon. Dwarfs can improve their stonecunning, perhaps learning more about stone and unlocking new abilities as a result. Etc.

Remove ads