• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you consider 5th edition?

drothgery

First Post
I'll almost certainly give 5e a chance; the previews would have to be something I hate with the fire of a thousand suns for me to not at least flip through the Player's Handbook at a bookstore. And if I don't hate it, I'll buy the core rulebooks, at least.

2e was the game I learned to play on.
3e was almost everything I thought I wanted in a game in 2000, and 3.5 fixed enough things that needed fixing (even though it also fixed some things that weren't broken) that moving made sense. But high level play revealed a lot of issues.
If 4e had been D&D Saga Edition, it would have been almost everything I wanted in a game in 2008; in actual play, I think 4e is better for D&D.
So I'm going to take a look at whatever WotC comes up with next.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I'm mystified as to why someone wouldn't give a fifth edition of D&D a try, regardless of how they feel about the current edition. Each time D&D has been updated, it's brought something different to the table, and I've liked some of those things and disliked others. I can't imagine why 5E will be any different.

Besides, if I hate it, there's still 4E or a myriad of other games I love playing.

--Steve

Markn

First Post
First, yep, I'd give 5e a try.

5e, however, I expect to be quite a bit different. Every edition up to date has had different designers, and while the core system has mostly stayed the same (4e being a big exception here, but it still keeps the 3e d20 ideas in tact), major portions of the game are extensively rewritten. My guess, is that rituals, reskinning dailies/encounter powers, a reworking of healing surges (but still kept), class design/features, race design/features, the math, and things of that nature to be totally redone. I wouldn't be surprised if they scale back on the "gamist" playstyle a bit to cater to those still playing 3e or Pathfinder. I would think they would find a way to bridge the gap to re-unite the community again. Some more sacred cows may die, the occaisional one may be put back in. I'm quite sure they will also listen to many people who want a "faster" game so fine tuning monster HPs and monster damage would be there as well.

All in all, the game will be different, but similar in the core mechanics as they have now. The only way I could see complete re-write is if 4e truly fails, and I really don't think that is the case. I think for the most part, many of the ideas of 4e are here to stay - they will just see major rewrites for improvement much as Thac0 subtraction become d20 addition.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
No. This does nothing but worsen the signal to noise ration. You have a problem, report the post, but don't make posts like this.

Removed by admin. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
SWSE is a pretty elegant game, but it might not be expandable in a profitable way. For example, there's no visible need for more base classes or new kinds of magic systems.

SWSE could be just as expandable as 4E is. The problem is the fan base. It has a small fraction of the 4E fan base, in fact it probably has a fraction of the 3E/3.5 fan base. The profit just isn't there.

But the game could absolutely be expanded into new alien races with new alien classes. Not so much classes that any race could take, but ones that have special racial / cultural class features for specific races. If they added 2 classes per current race, that would be over a hundred classes right there.

And the Force allows for them to add in a lot of new force user concepts.

Many classes could have extremely minor force using capability to augment other more physical abilities.

Or even non-force type magic could be added, assuming Lucas allowed for it. For example, new types of technology only used by certain species.

Badapple

First Post
4e > 3.5 > 3.0 > 2e > 1e > D&D redbook basic.

As much as I love 4e, assuming the trend continues, I'd drop 4e for 5e tomorrow.

I've loved D&D through many editions, and I always generally find each new edition to have more pros than cons compared to previous editions. Generally, I prefer to buy a new PHB, Monster Manual, and a couple modules when each edition arrives than buy a bookcase full of supplements, splats, and sourcebooks for one edition and then bitterly complain about the new edition making them obsolete.

A wise man once said "All editions of D&D are awesome!" If there is a 5E, I fully expect it to be awesome in its own way. And I will definitely buy it, just as I have every new edition since I started playing. Whether it becomes my edition of choice depends on far too many things to bother with a prediction.

If anyone in WotC is reading this, my suggestion for 5E would be a fully errata-ed 4E, just like that

PHB1 classes could do with some of the mechanical improvements of those in PHB2 (havent read PHB3 yet)

MM1 monsters could also do with some of the improvements in MM2, and the leaked updated monster layout for MM3 looks good too

edit: and of course, DMG1 page 42 and the whole Skill Challenge chapter needs to be completely rewritten with what we have all learned since!

Trainz

Explorer
I'm currently in two 4th ed campaigns.

That said, I'm extremely disappointed. The thing is, for me Pathfinder isn't better! Pathfinder tried to stick to 3.5 too much and it's complexity.

So I've been thinking about going back to 2nd ed and house ruling in whatever I liked from to the 3.5 and 4th editions.

So unless 5th edition makes the game much simpler (not just SAY it's simpler, but actually do it), I'll pretty much forgo the whole thing and make my own.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'm currently in two 4th ed campaigns.

That said, I'm extremely disappointed. The thing is, for me Pathfinder isn't better! Pathfinder tried to stick to 3.5 too much and it's complexity.

So I've been thinking about going back to 2nd ed and house ruling in whatever I liked from to the 3.5 and 4th editions.

So unless 5th edition makes the game much simpler (not just SAY it's simpler, but actually do it), I'll pretty much forgo the whole thing and make my own.

I never really considered 2nd edition with all of its tables, THAC0, different experience charts for every class, and all that to be "simple." I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm just honestly curious what you find to be simpler and easier to use about 2nd edition than 3rd or 4th edition.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads