• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The 13th Age 2nd Edition Kickstarter Has Launched

Updated, streamlined, and backwards-compatible!

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 10.41.20.png

13th Age was released 10 years ago as a 'love letter' to D&D. Designed by D&D 3E's Jonathan Tweet and 4E's Rob Heinsoo, it streamlined the game and introduced innovations such as the Escalation Die, and it's One Unique Thing, a trait that every character has which is individual to them.

2nd Edition is now here--streamlined, clarified, backward-compatible, and updated with revised classes, monsters, and more. And, unlike the single book format of the original, this version comes in the form of a 240-page Player's Handbook and a 160-page Gamemaster's Guide.

You can pick up both books for £40 in PDF or £100 in hardcover format, plus dice, a GM screen, and more.

There's a free preview document available (12-page PDF).

Designer Rob Heinsoo spoke to EN Publishing's Jessica Hancock about 13th Age 2E last year on the Not DnD show.

ruemere

Adventurer
That's a city guide for an existing system, not an entirely new system, right?

I'd add Tales of the Valiant as an upcoming system vying for attention.
Ulfenkarn introduces lower tier of power, plus adds a setting (the city) that's very Soulslike/Bloodborney.

Tales of the Valiant - I though it was 5E. Care to share details?

mamba

Legend
Tales of the Valiant - I though it was 5E. Care to share details?
it more or less is, but that still means they are looking for players/ buyers, if the expectation were that everyone would stick to WotC they would not have created it.

That being said, I don’t think 13A has to worry about anyone but WotC in particular, everything else is too small to be a distinct ‘issue’ / worth worrying about

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
the KS is now, that does not mean the game is out in a month… the estimated delivery is 08/2025, and that is for backers, could be another few months for the general public, so you are basically right in the timeframe you wanted, it’s just a matter of whether you have the foresight to pledge now or get it once it is released ;)
The timing concerns me. The 13th Age team have a Gygaxian disregard for deadlines (for those of my fellow oldies who waited 5+ years for Temple of Elemental Evil only to receive an incomplete slugfest) so I expect the date will slip by at least six months.

That said, I love the game and I love their work. I'm backing it, I'm just not expecting it for two years!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Hey, @Derulbaskul when there's no comedic content in a post, but you use the laugh emojis on it, that leads us to think you intend mockery. And you know we're going to frown on that.

So, going forward, don't do that, please and thanks.

Remove ads

Remove ads