• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC hinting heavily that Tuque Games D&D game will be revealed at the Game Awards Show

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Then what would make it Skyrim inspired as opposed to, say, Daikatana inspired if you’re removing everything related to Skyrim and only keeping a first person action rpg?

As the person that wants a Skyrim-esque D&D game—a first person action RPG is exactly what I want. [/QUOTE]

As I’ve said previously, and you disagree, it takes more then the D&D proper pronouns o make a game feel like D&D to most folks.

Most folks? Speak for yourself.

Put it like this. Let’s say you work at WotC and are interviewing for a D&D developer. A person comes in and you ask them what their D&D experience is. An they say:

“I have lots of experience playing D&D!”

so you hire them then you find out they have no idea what classes are, what spells are, what monsters stat blocks are, no clue how the system works at all, and never heard of the PHB. When you question them, their response is, “Well, I played the heck out of DragonStrike, and a guy on the internet told me I was in fact playing D&D, so there.”

When you create a silly scenario, you can argue against it quite well.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Then what would make it Skyrim inspired as opposed to, say, Daikatana inspired if you’re removing everything related to Skyrim and only keeping a first person action rpg?

The two have different gameplay, and different styles in nearly every facet, from how dialogue is handled, to how the story is built and explored, etc.

I don’t especially care about this tangent. You’re nitpicking someone’s example, and I can’t even fathom why?

Sacrosanct

Legend
As the person that wants a Skyrim-esque D&D game—a first person action RPG is exactly what I want.

Most folks? Speak for yourself.

When you create a silly scenario, you can argue against it quite well.

The silly scenario is the one where any game of any genre, as long as it has the D&D name, gives the D&D experience as most people know that to be. All I did was point out using an example of why that’s silly.

And I feel pretty comfortable saying that if asked to explain what D&D is and how it plays, most D&D players will say it’s a tabletop RPG. Not a flight sim. That’s not a reach. If you don’t think most people would define D&D that way, then we’ve truly entered into rediculous arguments to defend your position.

Dausuul

Legend
Alpha apparently was impressive enough to Chris Cock, a video game industry pro, to buy the company. That speaks more than the trailer.
There are lots of reasons WotC might have decided to buy the company. We don't know what their reasoning was. It's quite possible that they bought Tuque because it was on sale for cheap, Tuque had some talented devs that WotC wanted on staff, and buying the company was easier than trying to woo the devs individually. Buying startups to get their talent is a well-tested strategy in Silicon Valley. If that was the goal, WotC may not care much how Dark Alliances performs. If it goes well, great; if not, they'll let it wither and assign the devs to work on other stuff.

It's also possible that the D&D division has a lot of money sloshing around right now and some empire-building executive (who may or may not be Cocks) let ambition overcome their good sense. Or somebody's brother had a stake in Tuque. Or WotC wanted the Livelock IP and/or source code. Or any number of things.

The idea that Tuque had something that was JUST SO AWESOME that Chris Cocks knew it was a guaranteed hit and bought the company for it... first of all, nothing in early alpha from a small, inexperienced studio is a guaranteed hit, and Cocks has been around long enough that he should know that. Second, if the proto-game is really that good, why didn't Wizards put some serious effort into marketing it with a suitably awesome trailer? We know they have the capability--the last three Magic: The Gathering trailers have been knock-your-socks-off amazing. They didn't invest that kind of resources here.

At the moment, we have two samples of Tuque's output. One is Livelock, and the other is this trailer. It makes far more sense to judge the company on the basis of what it has actually produced, than speculation about what Chris Cocks may or may not have seen in a demo.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Speaking of off-topic game recommendations, I suggest Darkest Dungeon if you want an OSR-style dungeon-crawling game with death, oh, so, so, so much death.

Remove ads