• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Will you buy 5.5e/6e PHB?

Will you buy 5.5e/6e PHB?

• Yes

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 41.7%

dave2008

Legend
I haven't liked any version of WotC D&D.

3E? Nope. 4E? Nope. 5E? Nope. Three strikes and you're out.

They've had 20+ years to make a version of D&D I would actually like and have failed to do so. I see no reason to believe they will "get it right" (for me) with the next (non) edition.
Interesting. I think every version of WotC D&D has seen some improvement over TSR D&D. Not whole cloth, but various parts and pieces. If I coble together my ideal version of D&D it would be 75% WotC D&D + 10% TSR D&D + 10% dave2008 D&D or there about.

PS Those percentages are just talking about the parts that are different between the systems. I am not counting ideas like hit points, armor class, etc. that are shared by all versions.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Interesting. I think every version of WotC D&D has seen some improvement over TSR D&D. Not whole cloth, but various parts and pieces. If I coble together my ideal version of D&D it would be 75% WotC D&D + 10% TSR D&D + 10% dave2008 D&D or there about.

PS Those percentages are just talking about the parts that are different between the systems. I am not counting ideas like hit points, armor class, etc. that are shared by all versions.
The only versions of TSR D&D I ever enjoyed were B/X and BECMI. As ready as I was to jump off of D&D 3e when the edition was coming to an end it was the thing that brought me back to D&D.

It also might be mostly errata and race changes, which I don't feel deserves even the 5.5 label.

I am 99% sure, short rest recharges go the way of the dodo.
Of course, all you need to do is deleting x/short rest and adding x*prof bonus/long rest
You can decide if you just add a reservoir of x*prof bonus directly, or have x points you can recharge (prof bonus - times) times or if you have prof bonus points that recharge x - 1times.

A wording for (prof bonus - 1) recharges could be:
You can use the ability x times prof bonus.
After using ability x times you need to spend an action to refocus.

Or you just say: refocus prof bonus times per long rest and just accept that you have 1 more use than actually expected (that is about the free use, many abilities currently have)
A monk level 2 would then have 6 ki points per day (3 times 2) which is actually quite comfortable.
Or they just have 4, but that would result in 120 ki points at level 20, which they can freely use. A 4e monk will straight up go from borderline underpowered and unfun to outright broken (24 fireballs per day, water whip that might do 122d10 damage).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I am 99% sure, short rest recharges go the way of the dodo.
Of course, all you need to do is deleting x/short rest and adding x*prof bonus/long rest
You can decide if you just add a reservoir of x*prof bonus directly, or have x points you can recharge (prof bonus - times) times or if you have prof bonus points that recharge x - 1times.

A wording for (prof bonus - 1) recharges could be:
You can use the ability x times prof bonus.
After using ability x times you need to spend an action to refocus.

Or you just say: refocus prof bonus times per long rest and just accept that you have 1 more use than actually expected (that is about the free use, many abilities currently have)
A monk level 2 would then have 6 ki points per day (3 times 2) which is actually quite comfortable.
Or they just have 4, but that would result in 120 ki points at level 20, which they can freely use. A 4e monk will straight up go from borderline underpowered and unfun to outright broken (24 fireballs per day, water whip that might do 122d10 damage).
Imo they can’t get rid of short rests because of warlocks. It’s the major differentiation between them and other casters.

Imo they can’t get rid of short rests because of warlocks. It’s the major differentiation between them and other casters.
Why?
They can use their spells 1 to 4 times per day.
Then sacrifice a cat/rat/frog and recharge it with a 1 minute ritual prof bonus times per day. Done.

*in the worst case they make it an hourlong ritual that can be done during a short rest.

I don't think shor rest will go. They are still used for attunement and spending hit dice.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
or they could give them a real reason to be different from other casters?

personally, I am only unlikely to not buy it if there are no major changes in that case I will be looking into a really good monk homebrew.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Why?
They can use their spells 1 to 4 times per day.
Then sacrifice a cat/rat/frog and recharge it with a 1 minute ritual prof bonus times per day. Done.

*in the worst case they make it an hourlong ritual that can be done during a short rest.

I don't think shor rest will go. They are still used for attunement and spending hit dice.
Sounds basically like short resting with a daily limitation to me.

Sounds basically like short resting with a daily limitation to me.
Exactly. This will allow to generally get rid of short rests for recharge, but allows to keep the flavour of warlocks. It is a very rere exception from the general rule and no more unlimited spells per day. The coffelock, the warlockadin and tge celestial warlock unlimited healer all cease to exist, while for all practical plays, the warlock is buffed instead of nerfed. (if you require shorter than 1hour rituals for recharging, which I would favour).

Remove ads