• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is There No Warlord Equivalent in 5E?

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
quick rundown of what i might put into a base warlord, not all at 1st obviously but the general core shape of their abilities.

d10 hit die
heavy armour+shields
simple weapons, longsword, shortsword, scimitar, rapier.
3 skills, fighter skill list plus investigation, religion, medicine, performance and persuasion.

extra attack +1.
fighting style (choice of: defense, dueling, interception, protection, superior technique.)
second wind.
one free use of a BM maneuvre per turn (commander's strike, distracting strike, maneuvering attack and rally are innately known.)
battle master's Combat superiority and relentless abilities.
PB/LR uses of healing word, upcast to a level equal to your INT modifier.
Tandem Tactician feat
an extra ASI bump

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
The problem I have is this. Its objecting to gatekeepy by being even more gatekeepy. "My way is the only way to Warlock" is bad for all sides. Can we agree to that?
My problem here is this: using a buzzword wrong to blow through other people's discussion.

Look, no one is talking about taking away the battlemaster or sword bard, they're talking about wanting a warlord that actually includes more than a smattering of the mechanics that were core to the warlord. There's not gatekeeping in that and to suggest it is simply insulting for no reason.

You don't see us accusing the people telling us to shut up and accept the thing that isn't to our pretty reasonable desires of being gatekeepers.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I thought the entire point of the warlord was so that its not magic. And... you've just given them spells but calling them strategies? How are they different? It seems that they're going to scale up like spells? I mean, that's the whole point of the warlock chasis is that their spells automatically level.
That is the point. And no, Strategies are not spells. There would be a new list of them. That was kind of the point of specifying that. They would differ by not scaling as spells do...as you say, that's the whole point of warlock spells, which Strategems are not. They would simply be following the overall mechanical model.

Are you going to have an Eldritch Blast equivalent? What is it?
Nope.

How does having a sword-and-board-warlord or bow-warlord fit in here?
Perfectly well. Sword-and-board might be Vanguard or whatever one chooses to call the "front-line attacker" Warlord subclass. Bows would be an option for any of them, but would work best with those that emphasize stealth or ranged attacks, I'd presume.

I presume that its going to take up Invocation-equivalents, just like blade-lock and agonizing/repelling EB do.
I mean, some might, but I'd expect most of that stuff to be right out the gate.

Glass house, throwing stones.
Not at all. But I had thought you disliked people simply dismissing arguments out of hand?

"But its not as effective!!!" That sounds like an optimizer problem. I don't care about optimzers. I don't play with them. If my group likes playing it and has fun, and its effective enough, does the rest matter? No.
But we design the game for all the people who play. Not just the people who think that anyone who ever cares even the tiniest bit about being effective at what they do is a dirty filthy optimizer.

Forget banneret. It was badly made, and diffierent attmepts at a thing can be made.
I will not do so, specifically because what you are suggesting is WORSE than the Banneret--I already showed how that was the case with Second Wind. If your suggestion is worse than something you already say was badly made, how can we take your suggestion seriously?

The point is to showcase how we can turn the core Fighter chasis from being selfish to being a party enabler
But it does not do that. It is still selfish. That was the whole point of talking about the effectiveness of the actions. Being able to be an enabler is pointless if the game actually rewards being selfish.

You must give people a mechanical incentive to do the behaviors you want them to do (or, if necessary, a mechanical incentive to avoid behaviors you don't want them to do, but carrots are better than sticks by far.) If you don't, then most players won't do that thing.

How would it be better? Gee, I don't know, maybe because its something the player is enjoying doing? My goal is to make something that's fun to play and fills a need for my table.
Again, you are relying exclusively on inbuilt player enthusiasm for something--an enthusiasm so strong it overcomes a demonstrable loss of effectiveness. I'm not saying players are perfect logic machines, but come on man, people care about doing what will keep their characters alive, what will further their characters' goals, what will help them succeed better and more. We do not live in some perfect utopia where nobody cares about the possibility that they might fail. D&D players are notoriously anti-risk (except the few that are aggressively pro-risk, but that's a whole different topic.) That's why the 5MWD is a problem even though it actively makes the game less fun for everyone involved. These concerns are not some weird unhinged dedication to perfectionist optimization. They're practical. People care about succeeding. They want more successes and fewer failures.

But I'm doing the latter, and you said it was OP. You have not demonstrated how its OP. You're just claiming it without explaining why it is.
Except you aren't. You haven't changed one thing about how the ability works. You've simply allowed its utterly unchanged effect to be applied to someone else. That is not OP. It is, as I have repeatedly said, completely insufficient, for exactly the same reasons that the Banneret is completely insufficient.

Or... maybe I find a way that it works together to make a harmonious whole that fulfills the class fantasy for my table and isn't OP. I don't buy into your false dichotomy.
My apologies. I'm not designing for Mephista's table. I'm designing for the typical table, where a realistic spectrum of people will be playing. The majority of that spectrum cares enough about effectiveness to get upset when they feel shortchanged and to pursue options that are powerful even if doing so can lead to a loss of fun. As the saying goes, "people will optimize the fun out of your game if you let them."

"If I make a selfish, damage focused build, I will categorically be better at using action surges on myself" is a statement that really doesn't need to be said.
But you need to make only one choice to do that:

Play a Fighter.

Optimizers
I'm not interested in discussing your tirade against people who care about effectiveness. You've made your point that you think anyone who cares about that is a dirty filthy optimizer sullying the game.

Again with a false dichotomy.
Nope. It's just a dichotomy you refuse to recognize because you believe nobody ever cares about being effective.

There's a saying called Hazlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Well, saying "stupid" here is a bit of a too strong word here, but its conveys the same vibe. You're ascribing malice to people when they just as likely messed up. Mearls put in a lot of effort to make his own warlord subclass for fighter as well, which leads me to think this entire malice-assumption to be silly.
When he explicitly and openly mocks something with known edition warrior rhetoric, it's not stupidity and it's not an accident. Whether or not he was joking does not matter. He used those words. He insulted things I care about, and he did so knowing that it pisses people off.

There WAS intent.

Which brings me to another point. If you're going to keep bringing up Banneret while simultaneously claiming that the devs were malicious in, well, effectively sabotaging a warlord-fighter subclass. Then wouldn';t that mean that Banneret shouldn't even be something to consider? Why bring it up at all if its effectively sabotaged?
Because it is useful to have a point of negative comparison--as I did above, where I showed that your idea of letting the Fighter give someone else her Second Wind is woefully inadequate because the Banneret gets something (significantly!) better than merely transferring the Second Wind effect to someone else...and you openly admit that the Banneret is bad!

Having a point of negative comparison gives us a floor from which to rise, or a ceiling to step back from. This one is a floor. Others are ceilings. We can narrow in on a useful point in the middle.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
This is obviously unsound reasoning. Anyone liking this post for how it convinces itself the Warlord cannot be done should retract that like. Obviously it can be done. Anything else is just POV-pushing.

Again, the reason WotC gas not made a Warlock can be many and varied. But "it's impossible" sure ain't one of them.
I never, ever said it was impossible in general.

I said it was impossible if it must be shackled to the Fighter as a subclass.

That's a world of difference.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This is obviously unsound reasoning. Anyone liking this post for how it convinces itself the Warlord cannot be done should retract that like. Obviously it can be done. Anything else is just POV-pushing.

Again, the reason WotC gas not made a Warlock can be many and varied. But "it's impossible" sure ain't one of them.
Impossible, no, but difficult. The 4e Warlord is a square peg in a round hole if put into 5e. The class comes from a very different design paradigm, and as my last post said, slotting it in where it's useful regardless of party makeup, doesn't overpower casters, and is somehow better than the existing choices for "Leader" classes, while being strictly magical in an edition of the game where some of the things the Warlord does are "owned" by the casters and not fit for non-casters, are all problematic.

For all we know, there have been 7 different WotC attempts at the Warlord, and each struggled to fit in the game, kind of like the Revised Ranger, which seemed like a great class, but was eventually scrapped. Or more accurately, the Mystic. Which was mostly underpowered, but had some abilities that were much stronger than what other classes could do.

Mephista

Adventurer
My problem here is this: using a buzzword wrong to blow through other people's discussion.

Look, no one is talking about taking away the battlemaster or sword bard, they're talking about wanting a warlord that actually includes more than a smattering of the mechanics that were core to the warlord. There's not gatekeeping in that and to suggest it is simply insulting for no reason.

You don't see us accusing the people telling us to shut up and accept the thing that isn't to our pretty reasonable desires of being gatekeepers.
I only used the word towards one person. And I just had a conversation with them about my own attempt at doing a warlord subclass, where I was flatly told impossible and was going to be either not worth playing or "OP."

So, yes, I do see "your side" telling me to shut up and "accept the thing." I've been told my way of doing warlord is not a "true warlord."

Undrave

Legend
Skeletons. That's about it.
Thrilling variety.
I mean, it doesn't help that a contingent of anti-fans is always eager to come out of the woodwork and tell people who like Warlords that they should sit down, shut up, and enjoy the table-scraps they're so graciously given because their preferences are wrong, invalid, unfit, not really a class, or some other variation of "it's not for me therefore it's not for anyone."
Don't forget calling Warlords 'backseat drivers'.
Not sure what distinction you're getting at here, but I guess it's material for a different thread...
The idea is that the material was popular, it was the release schedule that overwhelmed the fans.
I like the following
"At level 3, this subclass allows you to use your Second Wind, Indomitable, and Action Surge on others."

Boom. They're no longer selfish and now party buffs. It used a bit of power budget, but not a lot, because its already using existing resources. Might need to use a bonus action or a reaction, which would lower the power budget cost even more.
Action Surge by a Fighter is almost always better than giving it to someone else.
The biggest coomplaint about 5E is folks wanting to poke more into the system and make it more complicated, a lot of people consider that a plus.
Let me poke into that crunch and get to the tactical goo deep inside! Hmm mm delicious!
This isn't it at early levels though, that is why a fighter is more difficult. They don't have spells, they don't understand how to do other things in combat.
Spells ARE difficult and complicated and spell slots are stupid. Using a fighter is in no way more difficult. Walk up to enemy and whack with stick.
The DM told him several times that it was splitting because of his hits and he never went to his flask of oil (even after others did) or an unarmed strike.

It went like, well maybe eventually it will start working.
I don't think you can design a game to be idiot proof enough for that guy, sorry.
This makes Bludgeoning weapons more effective if you are a strength based character at low level, but the number of Greatswords and Longswords exceed the numbers of Mauls and Warhammers by a factor of 10. It is a rare very and usually very experienced player that recognizes this and selects a Warhammer at 1st level.
Okay? If you get a magical longsword later it is strictly superior to your basic war hammers and you no longer have to worry about any mundane damage resistance so who cares?
5e isn't granular enough to do it.

The 4e warlord works because 4e was built on stacking micro bonuses and grid movement. 5e is not. 5e rolled dozens of +1 and +2 situational bonuses into advantage and opted for TotM movement. That took much of the warlord's toolkit out of play. Coupled with Bounded Accuracy making needing exceptionally high numbers less necessary, and the warlord essentially has no real options. He is giving an extra attack, healing a few HP, and granting advantage every round. Maybe give some extra move speed or extra damage or something. That's your play loop for 20 levels.
I agree that it made designing a 5e Warlord extremely challenge and frustrating. I had to abstract and simplify things a lot and not actually COPY 4e designs but rather build 5e designs that accomplished the same FEEL. I also tried to create subclasses that could adapt to various party composition.
I agree the fighter chassis is a bad basis.

Yet, anytime I’ve seen anyone produce a balanced warlord it gets shouted down by warlord fans. Then they point to obviously overturned warlords and say they are balanced.

The takeaway is that the power budget to produce fan approved warlord is higher than would be balanced in 5e.

The funny thing is I want a warlord too but not all the overturned ones, an actually balanced one (which will mean it can’t do everything a 4e warlord did)
Whenever I posted my Warlord people said it was too strong shrug
The same problem would occur with a dedicated class feature for it. You'd have somehow make the Warlord worse at damage than a Fighter (which is hard because the base class doesn't get much more raw damage than anyone else baseline, they rely on making more attacks) so that when they grant attacks, it's better than the Warlord attacking themselves.
My Warlord had a curated list of martial weapons, instead of the whole lot of them, and no heavy armour. It was longsword, pike, shortsword, warhammer. Different subclass gained extra proficiency when appropriate.
So yeah, as others have said, it's not that you couldn't make a 5e Warlord. The issue is, the class would stick out as being not like other classes, and worse, depending on party composition, it might be way worse than just playing a Peace or Twilight Cleric (not even getting into how a given person feels about those subclasses). I don't accept that the Banneret or the Battlemaster are Warlords. But I can see the issues of trying to create a Warlord and having it be this "5th wheel class" that either outperforms existing options or underperforms, based on what the other players are doing. Which isn't a problem for the Bard or Cleric- they can adjust to any party using their basic abilities.

A Warlord in 5e might be like "well, uh, I'm not sure what I'm doing here" especially in the light of so many classes and subclasses being invested in the spell system.
You can't just copy 4e stuff into 5e and expect it to work, for sure. You need to go for the 'feel' of the class alongside some generic options with the opportunity to specialize to fit the party you are in. And your Warlord should be doing okay-ish damage on its own. Even a Cleric can swing a warhammer.
By the way... now that we've reached page 37 it seems about time for us to move over and talk about why WotC hasn't made a Psion yet.
There's no Psion because they gave all the potential psionic effects to Wizards because god forbid the Wizard be forbidden from effects for the sake of another class' niche.
At no time was there any weapon that was any better than any other (other than being magical vs. not- early on we were so hindered by this that our ranger was using a pair of magical daggers that only had bonuses against undead and monstrosities- one was +1 vs. undead, the other was +1 vs. monstrosities; and our monk was using a magic light hammer that's only power was it granted advantage when he spent the first healing surge during a rest).
Also, any weapon's a club if you're determined enough. Certainly anything with a long haft should double as a quarterstaff if you turn it around.

It's less 'not true warlord' and more 'fighter is too cruelly stripped down exclusively for the Champion to support the features for a warlord in the equally stripped down subclass system'.

When I was making the Warlord, I made it a subclass, but I was also basically reworking the Fighter to be an ala carte class where you could choose a variety of powers. Really, the Fighter chassis is one of the worst out there when it comes to construction. Just incredibly limiting given the design choices they made.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Making the Warlord a subclass of one of the 5e 2014 classes, is impossible to do well.

Making the Warlord its own 5e class is easy. There are several ways to do it well.

I would use the Warlock chassis for the design space. The 5e Warlock is 4e-ish AEDU. Convert all its flavor, and finetune the mechanics to match the flavor. It uses Short Rest spell points or equivalent Superiority Dice. Done.

Especially now, the 2024 Warlock makes the Daily Arcanums optional. Players can choose other powerful Invocations instead. So all the powers are either always-on At-wills, or effects whose exertion requires a Short Rest. Perfect for Warlord.

Actually, there are three traditional classes that have a buzz to become 5e classes: Psion, Warlord, and Swordmage.

All three should use the Warlock as the chassis.

The reliance on Short Rests is good for the 5e game engine, and helps stabilize the balance between martials and casters.

Remove ads