• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Which 2e campaign setting should make a comeback in 4e?

Which 2e setting should make a comeback?

• Al-Qadim

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 43 22.4%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Oriental Adventures

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Planescape

Votes: 45 23.4%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 20 10.4%

jaldaen

First Post
Birthright for me... I'd love to see realm rules for 4e... not to mention that Birthright had an awesome hook with the bloodlines and some of the best adversaries of any setting I can remember.

The Little Raven

First Post
For myself, I'd say Ravenloft. But this time, take the 3E changes further and make it a fully contained and self-sufficient setting, instead of playing musical chairs with it's relationship with other settings (Soth, Jandar, I'm looking at you).

Pygon

First Post
Of all the alternative settings of 2e, Spelljammer caught my interest more. The trouble is that high level adventuring that involves depending on a big chunk of fragile wood tends to throw things out of wack. Spelljammer is probably best left in the 5-12 level range. But if the rules can be expanded upon so that entire ships don't destruct from a single well-placed high level spell (or kill the entire crew), and the combat rules can integrate well with foot combat (more action, less moving and turning), I'd take a serious try at it again.

Last edited:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I'd actively like to see Spelljammer and Dark Sun updated. However, I'd like the updates to come in the form of:

1. A single hardcover (OK, I would like a softcover because that's what I prefer, but that's not gonna happen :p) providing the basics of the setting, some key monsters, any new classes or races, and any other signature crunch (like the ship rules for Spelljammer).

2. Support in Dungeon and Dragon via the Digital Initiative.

3. Monsters updated in the generic monster manuals.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Samuel Leming said:
Wouldn't they be bringing back Al Qadim and Oriental Adventures as part of the Forgotten Realms at some point?

I never really thought of OA as being a setting. Kara-Tur is a setting appended to Forgotten Realms, OA is sort of a theme.

And I voted Birthright. It's a good classical fantasy setting with awesome hooks. The villains, in particular, rocked on toast.

Brad

The Little Raven

First Post
Spelljammer could work, IMHO, if it was done in a vein similar to the Shadow of the Spider Moon article in Polyhedron (had it's own assumed setting, instead of just plugging into everything else).

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Birthright

As others have stated, the fact that Birthright, while it didn't have to revolve around kingdom/realm maintanence and adventures, was great because it did. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.

I think that the design team for 4e could really make this one extremely awesome.

Plus, and here I go again, the villians and plot hook for the PCs just rocked on toast... So to speak. :lol:

Remove ads