• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When will 4E appear?

Virel

First Post
arscott said:
Well, 1st ed came out in 77, 2nd ed came out in 89, and 3rd ed came out in 2000. Following the current patern, it won't be until 2010.

But one of the reasons 3rd ed came out was because 2nd ed rules were overly complex and ridiculously unstable. You needed thousands of optional variants and house rules to make it work. And despite any problems it may have with changes in style or focus on minatures, 3rd ed is definately not unstable.

3.5 came out in 2004

So four years between the 3.0 and 3.5 books.

When the sales of 3.5 stuff slack off and new holes in the 3.5 system are found, 4.0 will be around the corner.

I would guess 2008 + or 1 one year

I agree late 2nd AD&D was garbage and 3e is better, but 1st ed AD&D house ruled with the best of early 2nd ed and some 3e is my favorite flavor of the game.

warlord

First Post
2ed was not unstable it was great. 3.0 was unstable they changed it in about 3 years and 3.5 still has problems LA on bugbears, Svage species, vampire that have an energy draining slam whoever did that should be shot. Thats why I have problems with 3.5 but it works and Rouges don't exist in my world. TRo me they will always be a theif.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
My guess is somewhere between 08 and 2010. In all honesty, it's going to have to be a supreme upgrade to the system. I'm having a ball with D&D 3.5 (and D20 in general), so much so that I don't really care to switch over. I have enough books and material to keep me happily gaming for decades to come!

Kane

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
There's been a "new edition", or "big revision", or "whatever you want to call it" roughly every three years since I began playing in 1974. I expect the next one to be released at Gencon 2006 (and to hear some rumblings about it late this spring).

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Mark said:
There's been a "new edition", or "big revision", or "whatever you want to call it" roughly every three years since I began playing in 1974. I expect the next one to be released at Gencon 2006 (and to hear some rumblings about it late this spring).

*RUmble*
Rumble
rumble

nope. sorry, that was just my belly :eek:

Remove ads