• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What will D&D 6th edition be like?

Zardnaar

Legend
At this point a very lucrative side project...

Not as lucretive as you think.

The entire RPG market isn't that big, D&D is most of it but the only get a fraction of the revenue. I doubt they get much more than 10 million or so. Which is pocket change for Hasbro.

If they can get a hit movie or game that's a bit different. We won't be getting a movie anytime soon even if it's announced tomorrow you would be looking at 2022.

The games side also has issues. They don't have ave a decent studio to make a game or the money so you're gonna get shovel ware for the most part. Game development is stupidly expensive a "cheap" one is Witcher 3 which was made in Poland. That game cist more than the entire RPG market in one year.

You also need passion or vision to make a good game or experience to refine what works.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

The entire RPG market isn't that big, D&D is most of it but the only get a fraction of the revenue. I doubt they get much more than 10 million or so. Which is pocket change for Hasbro.

If they can get a hit movie or game that's a bit different. We won't be getting a movie anytime soon even if it's announced tomorrow you would be looking at 2022.

The games side also has issues. They don't have ave a decent studio to make a game or the money so you're gonna get shovel ware for the most part. Game development is stupidly expensive a "cheap" one is Witcher 3 which was made in Poland. That game cist more than the entire RPG market in one year.

You also need passion or vision to make a good game or experience to refine what works.
It's still the most lucrative it's been in decades if not ever. (Those early years are fuzzy, high school dropouts do not good beancounters make ^.^.) Minimal investment and great sales coupled with licensing.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
You had a question and I gave you the best advice to get the answer to that question.

The topic has been played out so people aren't going to respond as earnestly.

If you actually want answers to your question then yes, do a search.

If you're just trolling then carry on I guess.
I want the truth!!!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I want the truth!!!

download.jpg

Hasbro notices D&D is, or it could become, a true cash-cow, but as multimedia franchise. D&D can't be Game of Thrones because the key by this is teaching us, opening our eyes, about the fights for the power and how they rule us. The most of speculative fiction only wants to entertain us and give some propaganda message by the author but not really help us to become wiser.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Hasbro has likely preemptively closed that door.

The OGL and SRD 5.1 exists. That barn door cannot be closed (the OGL is irrevocable). Sure, there are limitations, just like what Paizo had to handle with 3.5. But they fairly easily got around them and someone else could as well.

Any move by WotC has to take into consideration the fact that the market could choose not to follow. That's why I agree that it's going to be slow and gradual (at least until 2024) and even then I think it will be incremental or possibly thematic changes. I would love 5e to be evergreen and I think it has the chops to do it.

slobster

Hero

I liken it to comic books and their associated spinoff media projects. Sure, comics themselves are borderline profitable, if at all. But the goal with comics is basically to establish an IP that can then be turned into a movie, or Netflix show, or video game, preferably all of the above plus action figures. (Obviously that's the profit goal; the goal for most comics creators is to tell a good story)

I think Hasbro is angling for long-term D&D ambitions. I would expect them to start pushing "iconic" characters more, either big-name NPCs or cross-marketing adventure paths with video game releases and the like by pushing mascot characters or mascot monsters. Something that is more marketable, as a toy, action figure, further stories, etc. than just characters made by individual groups and players.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Here are some threads discussing 6th edition:

Remove ads