• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What will D&D 6th edition be like?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If the D&D movie is a success, then then 6e will be whatever is necessary to make movie fans feel like they are playing in the movie (and since it is a Hasbro movie, they will make changes).

If the movie bombs, Hasbro will sell WotC, and Mattel will buy it (cheap) so the 6e will be set in Eternia. Dark Sun will take place in the Sands of Time, Eberron will be in the Three Towers (and instead of warforged, you can play a Horde Trooper), etc. When they do expand to another world, it will be Thundera.
Hasbro isn’t going to sell the company that makes Magic: the Gathering over one failed movie D&D movie. M:tG is an absolute cash cow, D&D is a side project.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I've been thinking about it and I think 6th edition might pull away from the base-sub categories and might unify races and class into 3 parts instead of 2.

You see how warlocks are broken up into 3 parts.
  1. Warlock Class Features
  2. Patron Class Features
  3. Pact Class Features
I thing that all races and classes will broken up into 3 parts instead of 2. This allows for some of the features and cultures that don't have to be smashed together to be separated. It also fixes issues with character concepts coming online too late, balancing multiclassing, creating new versions for various worlds.

So I see 6th edition going
  1. Race- Dwarf
  2. Subrace- Surface
  3. Culture- Mountain
  4. Class- Cleric
  5. Subclass- Warpriest
  6. Specialization- Forge
6 for 6th.
This allows for DMs and players to imagine their worlds better. And it allows for WoTC to sell more books. You can drop Sea or Ice on an elf,a goblin, a giant, or a demon and quickly convert a PC, NPC, or monster. But you have to buy the Sea book. Or the PsuedoEgypt book. Or the MTG book.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
At this point a very lucrative side project...
It’s always been lucrative, but not as much compared to a lot of Hazbro’s other IPs. And the game itself still isn’t really, but since they’ve gone multimedia with it they’re making very good money off the brand. More importantly though, D&D is commanding a lot of public attention right now, and attention is currency in the marketplace of ideas.

My point though was that even if D&D wasn’t performing well (which it is), there’s no way Hazbro would give up WotC over that.

pogre

Legend
If 6th edition does not emulate the 5th edition experience pretty faithfully I foresee a niche opening for another company much like Pathfinder took off when 4th was released.

If 6th requires digital components it probably is not for me, but that may be the way to go.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd want a "tactical rules patch" more than a 6th Edition, though Pathfinder 2 does some unique things (3 action economy; I personally don't like the presentation of the classes and find class/subclass to be a great balance of character theme and character options).

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I am so sorry that I did not do a search first, and you were somehow forced to reply to this repetitive thread topic.

You had a question and I gave you the best advice to get the answer to that question.

The topic has been played out so people aren't going to respond as earnestly.

If you actually want answers to your question then yes, do a search.

If you're just trolling then carry on I guess.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads