• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do we know about the subclasses in the OneD&D PHB?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
What's the latest information on subclasses in the OneD&D PHB? Will they be the same subclasses as the 2014 PHB, a "best of" collection from Tasha's, Xanathar's, and other books, or will there be some new ones?

And if we don't know, what's your best guess?

HammerMan

Legend
What's the latest information on subclasses in the OneD&D PHB? Will they be the same subclasses as the 2014 PHB, a "best of" collection from Tasha's, Xanathar's, and other books, or will there be some new ones?

We don’t know but we are guess 4 per class so that changes cleric wizard fighter and rouge drastically.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Well, Crawford has stated that all of the above are the case, so it's a mix. Each Class is getting 4 Subclasses, which means more for everyone but Wizard and Cleric (though Crawford has pointed out the old Subclasses still work with the new chassis, so nothing is "lost"). What we know for sure:

1.  Barbarian
    1. Berserker ('14 PHB & SRD)
  2. Bard
    1. Dance (new, mentioned at summit)
    2. Lore ('14 PHB & SRD)
  3. Cleric
    1. Life ('14 PHB & SRD)
  4. Druid
    1. Circle of the Moon (NOT in the SRD, '14 PHB)
  5. Fighter
    1. Champion ('14 PHB & SRD)
  6. Monk
    1. ?
  7. Paladin
    1. Devotion ('14 PHB & SRD)
  8. Ranger
    1. Hunter ('14 PHB & SRD)
  9. Rogue
    1. Thief ('14 PHB & SRD)
  10. Sorcerer
    1. Dragon ('14 PHB & SRD)
  11. Warlock
    1. Fiend ('14 PHB & SRD)
  12. Wizard
    1. Evoker ('14 PHB & SRD)
    2. Necromancer ('14 PHB)
So, we know 13 out of 48 Subclasses for aure, based on things the designers have said or playtest packets. It's a pretty safe bet that the PHB Aubclasses not Cleric or Wizard are super likely, though I suspect that Four Elements might be replaced with Sun Soul from SCAG/Xanathar's. There is a lot of room for expansion or new Subclasses, as the designers have said theybare doing.

The flavor text for the Warlock test namdrops Fiends, Fey, Eldritch abominations, Celestials, Hags, and Undead. I think Celestial Patron is a pretty good bet to round out the PHB 3 for the Warlock, to balance out the options.

We know already we are getting the Evoker and Necromancer, so Schools are still a thing for Wizard Subclasses. I think Illusionist is likely, for historical reasons and it offers something different, and Bladesinger is super popular so that could round it out.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
If I were in charge, each class would get at least one brand new subclass. This is trickier for the classes with a lot of Subclasses, like Cleric or Wizard, but my take is that I'd want the 2024 PHB to offer more than just a rule refresh, and some new content would go a long way towards that. Also, if we are saying that older content is still viable, offering new content alongside redone content would help with that perception.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Not much is known and I'd not be surprised at all if we see significant changes to some or all of the ones we have already seen. One thing that will probably be a sure thing though is that classes are probably going to be much better than their 2014 versions at not being must take dips.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Well, Crawford has stated that all of the above are the case, so it's a mix. Each Class is getting 4 Subclasses, which means more for everyone but Wizard and Cleric (though Crawford has pointed out the old Subclasses still work with the new chassis, so nothing is "lost"). What we know for sure:

1.  Barbarian
    1. Berserker ('14 PHB & SRD)
  2. Bard
    1. Dance (new, mentioned at summit)
    2. Lore ('14 PHB)
  3. Cleric
    1. Life ('14 PHB & SRD)
  4. Druid
    1. Circle of the Moon (NOT in the SRD, '14 PHB)
  5. Fighter
    1. Champion ('14 PHB & SRD)
  6. Monk
    1. ?
  7. Paladin
    1. Devotion ('14 PHB & SRD)
  8. Ranger
    1. Hunter ('14 PHB & SRD)
  9. Rogue
    1. Thief ('14 PHB & SRD)
  10. Sorcerer
    1. Dragon ('14 PHB & SRD)
  11. Warlock
    1. Fiend ('14 PHB & SRD)
  12. Wizard
    1. Evoker ('14 PHB & SRD)
    2. Necromancer ('14 PHB)
So, we know 13 out of 48 Subclasses for aure, based on things the designers have said or playtest packets. It's a pretty safe bet that the PHB Aubclasses not Cleric or Wizard are super likely, though I suspect that Four Elements might be replaced with Sun Soul from SCAG/Xanathar's. There is a lot of room for expansion or new Subclasses, as the designers have said theybare doing.

The flavor text for the Warlock test namdrops Fiends, Fey, Eldritch abominations, Celestials, Hags, and Undead. I think Celestial Patron is a pretty good bet to round out the PHB 3 for the Warlock, to balance out the options.

We know already we are getting the Evoker and Illusionist, so Schools are still a thing for Wizard Subclasses. I think Illusionist is likely, for historical reasons and it offers something different, and Bladesinger is super popular so that could round it out.
Super informative, thanks!

Remove ads