• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What campaign is next?

KJSEvans

First Post
Not gonna take that bet.

However, my guess is that the campaign world will be a new one. Perhaps one of the finalists from the competition that produced Eberron.

I would bet we've seen a lot of the finalists from that competition under the open license.

Siberys

Adventurer
I would bet we've seen a lot of the finalists from that competition under the open license.

No, we haven't.

At least, not Rich Burlew's and Phillip Nathan-Toomey's - the two that finished immediately after Keith Baker.

Wizards bought the rights to those settings, had the authors sign some sort of NDA or somesuch, and put them away, presumably in case they needed a new setting.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I don't think it will be Greyhawk, because so much of the Greyhawk lore (from deities to artefacts to history) has already been co-opted into PoL-land.

I think the most likely guesses are:

- Oriental Adventures;
- a new steampunk setting; or
- a new D&D in space setting a la Dragonstar.

I think these are more likely simply because they do not really overlap with the existing settings. My money is currently on Oriental Adventures.

That said, I think WotC would much prefer to be launching World of Warcraft as a campaign world for the reasons some posters have already outlined.

If they go in this direction, wonder if they will revive Kara-Tur or Rokugan.

Didn't they sell off the rights to Rokugan? They could bring back a reimagined version of Kara-Tur but I think it has a lot of baggage. A lot of elements of Kara-Tur were rather naive westernized interpretations of eastern themes. I think in this day and age they would want a more authentically eastern OA. After all, why put out such a setting if its not going to be very appealing in asian markets? If it was me I'd want something that people in Asia would not roll their eyes at and would want to play.

So I would say Kara-Tur itself probably isn't the optimum form for a 4e OA. I don't know much about Rokugan, but why pay money to get it back when its really not that hard to just start with a clean slate?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't think they'll do Oriental Adventures for the simple fact that they already chose to ditch the Ki power source. If they were really going to eventually release Kara-Tur... I would imagine they would have saved the Monk, the Ninja (i.e. the Assassin) and the other Ki classes they had lined up (the Seeker might very well have originally been an oriental archer class) for when this new campaign setting was released.

I think we should take our cue from the PHIII / Dark Sun Psionic connection... what is the main power source that will be released in PHIV that would gain the most traction from the next campaign setting? In that regard... if it's the Shadow power source, then the most logical campaign settings would either be something like Ravenloft, or perhaps something like Greyhawk during the time of the war with Iuz.

ggroy

First Post
I think we should take our cue from the PHIII / Dark Sun Psionic connection... what is the main power source that will be released in PHIV that would gain the most traction from the next campaign setting? In that regard... if it's the Shadow power source, then the most logical campaign settings would either be something like Ravenloft, or perhaps something like Greyhawk during the time of the war with Iuz.

There is an unconfirmed upcoming title "Player's Option: Heroes of Shadow" allegedly being scheduled for release in March 2011. It is highly suggestive that it may have shadow power classes.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/5198046-post60.html

Who knows? They could release more than one setting next year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads