• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) We’ll be merging the One D&D and D&D forums shortly

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Was wondering where all these threads I hadn't seen before had come from. Good to see they'll finally be where they've belonged this whole time.

Well, given it is pretty much identical to the level of change seen with 3.5e....

5.5e. Just because Wizards is too fearful to name it sincerely, doesn't mean we cannot be honest with ourselves. It is 5th edition, revised. That's literally what they've done, they have revised and updated the classes and spells, tweaked a few rules, and added some new bells and whistles on top of the existing mechanical framework. While you can use older options, most of them will require at least a bit of adaptation, e.g. races and backgrounds work differently now, and frankly there's very little to zero reason to want to play the original versions of most of the classes (Warlock especially), unless you just hate change because it's change.

It's 5.5e.
Yup. I suspect it will be similar to my experience converting material for Level from vanilla 5e in the sense that the biggest actual changes I've had to make are from 5e races to the LU Origin system (heritage/culture/background/destiny).

That being said, 5.5e is accurate to me, as these revisions are comparable both in fact and in "feel" to those made for 3.0 to 3.5. WotC being afraid to say so doesn't change that.

Was wondering where all these threads I hadn't seen before had come from. Good to see they'll finally be where they've belonged this whole time.

Well, given it is pretty much identical to the level of change seen with 3.5e....

5.5e. Just because Wizards is too fearful to name it sincerely, doesn't mean we cannot be honest with ourselves. It is 5th edition, revised. That's literally what they've done, they have revised and updated the classes and spells, tweaked a few rules, and added some new bells and whistles on top of the existing mechanical framework. While you can use older options, most of them will require at least a bit of adaptation, e.g. races and backgrounds work differently now, and frankly there's very little to zero reason to want to play the original versions of most of the classes (Warlock especially), unless you just hate change because it's change.

It's 5.5e.
It is whatever you like to call it.
6e, 5.5e, d&d 5.24e and so on.

We will see what tracks.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
i propose we rename the ship of Theseus to d&d 5th edition. Just how much can be replaced before it’s still the same edition.
I mean, I guess we could do that. Seems more useful to just refer to the ready-to-hand nearly-identical example from only a few years before...

It is whatever you like to call it.
6e, 5.5e, d&d 5.24e and so on.

We will see what tracks.
I mean, if I were a betting man (I am not, but if I were), I'd put real money on 5.5e sticking.

It's clearly not a totally different game like 4e, 3e, 2e, so calling it "6e" seems very unlikely. Would probably lead to confusion. Hence, I suspect that if folks do call it that, they'll find they have to explain it every time, and thus the practice will be self-curtailing.

"2024 D&D" and the like are awkward and cumbersome compared to all of the alternatives. 5.24e doesn't even look like a name. (Maybe if it had come out a year later, so it would be 5.25e? A "quarter-edition" jump? But not this.)

Back when folks thought it was going to be branded the "50th Anniversary" version, 5.50e made a great deal of sense. Carries a similar idea as 5.5e, but with that little bit of distinctiveness. That's certainly what I would have called it, if WotC asked me to pick a name for this thing.

Names need to be simple, straightforward, uncomplicated. All this "2024" stuff is unnecessary baggage. "5.5e" is simple, straightforward, well-precedented, and reasonably accurate. The game is still fundamentally 5e, but with changes of medium to small size, tweaks, "improvements" (though I'm sure there will be holdouts, just as there were for 3.0!) It's not a new game. But it is a revised game.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
The only hesitancy I can see with 5.5e is Third Party Material. So many companies have used the 5e branding to stress compatibility that I can see them being potentially afraid of embracing 5.5e. The thought being:

"Oh, I was going to buy this adventure/supplement/source book, it says it's 5e compatible, but I have the 5.5 ruleset.. Maybe this will be too dated?"

I don't know. I like 5.5e, and it's probably what I'll be going with. I am curious to see official covers. I wonder if WOTC is going to just drop the edition label all together. It'll just be "Dungeons and Dragons"

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The only hesitancy I can see with 5.5e is Third Party Material. So many companies have used the 5e branding to stress compatibility that I can see them being potentially afraid of embracing 5.5e. The thought being:

"Oh, I was going to buy this adventure/supplement/source book, it says it's 5e compatible, but I have the 5.5 ruleset.. Maybe this will be too dated?"

I don't know. I like 5.5e, and it's probably what I'll be going with. I am curious to see official covers. I wonder if WOTC is going to just drop the edition label all together. It'll just be "Dungeons and Dragons"
This.

The differences are minor. I'm convinced I could write a conversion doc on a 3x5 card. That's less significant than converting from WotC 5e to LevelUp or WotC 5e to Tales of the Valiant.

I'll help the other 5e publishers by not inventing a new name for something that doesn't need it.

Remove ads