• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Magical Martial

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Explain to me how a mundane guy fights a T Rex then.
he beats it up with his weapons and his strength and skill.

he exists in a fantasy setting and thus the mundane guy can do extraordinary things.

being supernatural or magic are basically aesthetics and are entirely unnessacary factors for a hero to be able to do incredible things in such a world.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
but they shouldn't force you to become supernatural just because you reached a certain level threshold
At this point I have to wonder, "why not?" As others have said, a fighter or rogue can't reasonably fight high-level opponents without supernatural aid. The vast majority of our fictional touchstones in this area are realistically beneath that Tier 3 threshhold.

Micah Sweet

I am very much aware. And I would be willing to be "fair" about it, except there is no meeting in the middle, no compromise. Instead, every time anything is proposed, he demands the same thing over and over again. And even if given it, a few pages later, he is doing the same thing, or something else to derail the conversation again.
Since when have you actually proposed an ability? Instead, you're just as unwilling to let the ability's provenance go as I am, to be fair.

Micah Sweet

he beats it up with his weapons and his strength and skill.

he exists in a fantasy setting and thus the mundane guy can do extraordinary things.

being supernatural or magic are basically aesthetics and are entirely unnessacary factors for a hero to be able to do incredible things in such a world.
Not how I see it (magic and the supernatural have measurable effects in a fantasy world, they're not just free descriptors like FATE), but don't let that stop you from coming up with ideas for supernatural martial abilities.

Remove ads