• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starfinder Some questions on Starfinder

Slit518

Adventurer
I have played Dungeons & Dragons 3.0/3.5 as well as Pathfinder.

Pathfinder played similar with D&D 3.5 with a few tweaks, but if you played one, it wasn't hard to pick up the other.

I'm thinking of getting into Starfinder, but I have a few questions first:
  1. How similar is Starfinder to Pathfinder in the way of rules?
  2. Is Starfinder just as number crunchy & material bloat as Pathfinder?
  3. How long as Starfinder been out for?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. Very. It’s based on the PF rules.

2. It’s a little more streamlined. It hasn’t had the years yet to have material bloat, only having been out a short while.

3. A few months, give or take.

Slit518

Adventurer
1. Very. It’s based on the PF rules.

2. It’s a little more streamlined. It hasn’t had the years yet to have material bloat, only having been out a short while.

3. A few months, give or take.

Thanks, Morrus! I appreciate!

Now if I may ask your opinion? Is it any good?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks, Morrus! I appreciate!

Now if I may ask your opinion? Is it any good?

I haven't had chance to play it yet, other than a quick starship combat demo last year before it came out.

If you generally like Pathfinder, then you'll probably like it.

I enjoyed the heck out of Starfinder. It’s somewhat streamlined, but not as much as I would prefer. It does do away with a number of the particularly un-fun ones, at the least.

Definitely much less bloat than PF main, but it hasn’t had the time to grow. That being said, it doesn’t look like they’re as aggressively expanding Starfinder as they did Pathfinder.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I played every edition of D&D up to 3x, then went to Pathfinder, and now using Starfinder. I really like Starfinder. While Starfinder is derived from Pathfinder, it really isn't the same game - there are still feats and spells, but significantly less of each than Pathfinder. However character classes are completely different - now you have Theme (which provides specific skill bonuses, plus a modifier to one stat), Class which is similar to PF classes, but different too. Races including new and legacy have fewer racial bonuses/penalties, Archetypes are a completely different animal than Pathfinder archetypes. The system is more attuned to point buy rather than rolling your stats, and maximum stat at 1st level is 18. So the days of having a 30 STR is not even legal in Starfinder, the max stat is 22. Its far more streamlined than Pathfinder. So in some ways it's similar to PF, and others it's completely different. I really like the Starship rules, if you hand-wave the fact that there is no 3D combat, that all starships fly on single map grid (hexes), and hex size is determined by the size of each ship, so currently it's difficult to have a Tiny fighter and Gargantuan ship in a fight because hex size doesn't match.

I will be publishing two products for Starfinder as 3PP very soon (doing page layout now) - Dead in Space is a series of one-shot space horror modules by T. H. Gulliver, and Starships, Stations and Salvage Guide by Ed Moyer expands SF starship rules, with a couple options to replace existing SF Core rules (cargo bay sizes and tonnage, allowing Large ships to have shuttle now - now only Gargantuan plus can have shuttles). We're adding 21 new starship frames, 47 new expansion bay options, dozens of system upgrades for armor, computer, AI, defenses, etc. Included is 21 new deck plans (corresponding to the new frames), as well as rules for Space Stations, and Salvage rules. Probably a week or two on release of both.

Last edited:

Slit518

Adventurer
Well I played every edition of D&D up to 3x, then went to Pathfinder, and now using Starfinder. I really like Starfinder. While Starfinder is derived from Pathfinder, it really isn't the same game - there are still feats and spells, but significantly less of each than Pathfinder. However character classes are completely different - now you have Theme (which provides specific skill bonuses, plus a modifier to one stat), Class which is similar to PF classes, but different too. Races including new and legacy have fewer racial bonuses/penalties, Archetypes are a completely different animal than Pathfinder archetypes. The system is more attuned to point buy rather than rolling your stats, and maximum stat at 1st level is 18. So the days of having a 30 STR is not even legal in Starfinder, the max stat is 22. Its far more streamlined than Pathfinder. So in some ways it's similar to PF, and others it's completely different. I really like the Starship rules, if you hand-wave the fact that there is no 3D combat, that all starships fly on single map grid (hexes), and hex size is determined by the size of each ship, so currently it's difficult to have a Tiny fighter and Gargantuan ship in a fight because hex size doesn't match.

I will be publishing two products for Starfinder as 3PP very soon (doing page layout now) - Dead in Space is a series of one-shot space horror modules by T. H. Gulliver, and Starships, Stations and Salvage Guide by Ed Moyer expands SF starship rules, with a couple options to replace existing SF Core rules (cargo bay sizes and tonnage, allowing Large ships to have shuttle now - now only Gargantuan plus can have shuttles). We're adding 21 new starship frames, 47 new expansion bay options, dozens of system upgrades for armor, computer, AI, defenses, etc. Included is 21 new deck plans (corresponding to the new frames), as well as rules for Space Stations, and Salvage rules. Probably a week or two on release of both.

What is 3pp?

Remove ads