• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen AMA

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't recall the last time i was in a group that rolled. Or even heard of one. Especially locally. For 5e and 4e and the tail end of 3e.

Most OSR games/gamers it was roll stats.

That's anecdotal too.

I wonder if DNDBeyond has stats, broken out by characters that actually got played.
Found it, it's actiually about half "manual entry" and the the other half even split between array and point buy, across 23 million active characters.

1669311858013.png

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They're the first listed default method, and virtually always have been. I've never been a part of a group, in 35 years of gaming, that didn't roll as a primary. Anecdotal, yes, but I stand by it.
Times change, though. In 3e and before rolling was THE default method. I don't know about 4e, but it says a lot about arrays that the array was included as a default method. A whole lot of new players have entered the D&D pool and neither of us really have a grasp of which way they prefer. We and our groups have used rolling as the primary method for decades, but that doesn't mean that the masses new folk haven't cased arrays to eclipse rolling. We just don't know.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Found it, it's actiually about half "manual entry" and the the other half even split between array and point buy, across 23 million active characters.

View attachment 267773

An online character generator, even a very big one, isn't going to be any more representative of how players in general generate ability scores than EN World is. The vast majority of people aren't playing online.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
An online character generator, even a very big one, isn't going to be any more representative of how players in general generate ability scores than EN World is. The vast majority of people aren't playing online.
"representative," maybe or maybe not. 23 million data points at least is more telling that there is a variety of methods in play, more than any of our limited pool samples.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

View attachment 267773

So the biggest single category is what "rolling" is a part of, but the majority of people definitely don't use rolling, at least not on D&D Beyond's character generator.

Remove ads