• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Setting up a Dragonlance Campaign.

aramis erak

Legend
I read somewhere that and for the love of god I cannot remember where, but Dragonborn could be the result of Draconians mating. There hometown could be in Tyer, the Draconian home.

You aren't the only one.

Of course, I want to see "Afflicted Kender" make their way into D&D rules. (Yes, I like the 5th age setting. Even liked the rules.)

Lrdroland

First Post
...if you're doing a 5e conversion and really want to have "5e elements" in it, I could see reskinning Dragonborn as metallic half-dragons. Draconians are mentioned in the PHB, but they are, decidedly evil -and not necessarily free-willed- creatures. So for a PC DL Dragonborn, I'd go with metallic half-dragons.
The Doom Brigade and Draconian Measures shows the Draconians could be players and aren't evil since the War of the Lance ended and the Evil Goddess doesn't control them anymore. Now during the modules that are during the War of the Lance totally agree that the Draconians could not be players unless running an evil campaign.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
What I am getting at is bards, bards have access to most of the healing and bringing the dead back to life magic that a cleric does.
They are also arcane, and full casters now would they be subject to the orders of wizardry? My solution would be just to not allow the bard class.

One could certainly rule that they would have to join the WoHS, though the Dragonlance Campaign Setting (DLCS) says that they use wild sorcery rather than High Sorcery, so they would not technically exist in this time.

That being said, entertainers, minstrels, etc. exist in all time periods. So the entertainer background coupled with another class (rogue?) could emulate a non-spellcasting bard.

Also good aligned dragon sorcerers would be rare, and wild magic I don't think has a place, so that leaves out sorcerers.

Not necessarily. In Dragonlance, there is a form of arcane magic called primal sorcery or wild sorcery. This is the arcane magic that came about during the Fifth Age. However, the novel Renegade Wizards showcased its use prior to the War of the Lance.

You certainly could make a case for sorcerers (wild mages) to exist at that time. Certainly, the Wizards of High Sorcery would have issues with your wild magic not being under control. However, the Wizards of High Sorcery would be on the lookout for you, with each order approaching you differently. Red Robes would study you, White Robes would persuade you to become a wizard, and if you didn't, keep tabs on you and neutralize you if you become a danger. Black Robes would study you until you are of no more use to them, then they would destroy you.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
There were no Drow in Krynn, that I've ever heard of. Dalamar (and other evil elves) were called Dark Elves, but they weren't black-skinned, underdark dwellers.

That is, if my 10+ year old knowledge of DL is correct..

You are correct. Originally, a few drow showed up here and there, and non-canonical sources like Wild Elves show Spelljamming drow, but it has since been stated that drow do not exist on Krynn.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Hill or Mountain Dwarves only. Gully dwarves are cutesy and, yes, canonical and iconical DL, but they are so stupid as to make a viable PC nearly impossible.

It's doable. I've played one, but I have a hard time with it since I'm not stupid.

Tinker Gnomes only. I don't know/remember anything about "Mad" gnomes, but they, similarly, don't sound like "good for PC" material.

Use rock gnomes for tinkers. Mad gnomes are gnomes who don't have a life quest, and who make smaller-scale items that actually work.

Minotaurs. I guess ya gotta.

Ya gotta!

...if you're doing a 5e conversion and really want to have "5e elements" in it, I could see reskinning Dragonborn as metallic half-dragons. Draconians are mentioned in the PHB, but they are, decidedly evil -and not necessarily free-willed- creatures. So for a PC DL Dragonborn, I'd go with metallic half-dragons.

During this era, draconians make good monsters. However, later on they gain a greater amount of free will. It would be possible to have a renegade draconian during this time.

Towards the end of the War of the Lance, there were noble draconians (chromatic) introduced. What's different about them is that they're inherently good.

Monks: I don't recall whom, but there was a deity of Krynn that had monasteries of monks...I want to say the a copper mantis was the holy symbol...It has been, for my as well, a VERY long time since reading the Chronicles and Legends trilogies.

That deity would be Majere.

I read somewhere that and for the love of god I cannot remember where, but Dragonborn could be the result of Draconians mating. There hometown could be in Tyer, the Draconian home.

Teyr was founded after the War of the Lance. We have theorized over at the Dragonlance Forums that dragonborn are second-generation draconians, without the death throes. Of course, the PHB now states that draconians and dragonborn are one and the same. So I'm curious how WotC is going to stat them up.

Lerysh

First Post
Afflicted Kender is easy, just replace Lucky on Halfling with Afflicted, and some benefit associated with it, then play them as all depressing and emo instead of happy little kleptos.

If you are playing post War of the Lance, I see no problem with allowing Dragonborn as a race. They would be distrusted to be sure, but whatever. The OpenGL D20 DL Book had Minotaur as a playable race for crying out loud, so it's not like it's super unusual. Also, Paladine MAY have asked a few metalic dragons to donate some eggs to create a balanced force for the draconians, then through intermingling they come out as the Dragonborn race. Dragon is right there in the title, you have to allow Dragonborn as a PC race. :)

If you are playing in the absent healing magic time BEFORE the War of the Lance, then sure, no dragonborn. And also maybe no Bard. Then again, that same D20 DL book had arcane magical healing to fill the void. Really it's not a good idea to play in a setting where all healing is done by herbalism kit.

Lord Blackstone

First Post
It's doable. I've played one, but I have a hard time with it since I'm not stupid.

Use rock gnomes for tinkers. Mad gnomes are gnomes who don't have a life quest, and who make smaller-scale items that actually work.

Ya gotta!

During this era, draconians make good monsters. However, later on they gain a greater amount of free will. It would be possible to have a renegade draconian during this time.

Towards the end of the War of the Lance, there were noble draconians (chromatic) introduced. What's different about them is that they're inherently good.

That deity would be Majere.

Teyr was founded after the War of the Lance. We have theorized over at the Dragonlance Forums that dragonborn are second-generation draconians, without the death throes. Of course, the PHB now states that draconians and dragonborn are one and the same. So I'm curious how WotC is going to stat them up.

Thank you and you are right on. I have been going thru that with my group this past Saturday Night. Its going to be an Age of Mortals campaign. The details are almost set in stone. The Chronicle will be called Dragons of Demons Past.

Cyphertest

First Post
I'm actually planning on running the same series using 5th edition this Spring.

Rather than convert the old DL series, I'm converting the 3.5 updates that were published by Weis productions in the early 2000's. The three new hardcover campaign books were titles, Dragons of Autumn, Dragons of Winter, and Dragons of Spring respectively. All three used material from the previous versions of the DL series, including additions made to the Silver Anniversary Edition published in the late 90s. The newer editions also include material culled from the newer Chronicles book, Dragons of the Dwarven Depths. Needless to say, they're pretty comprehensive.

THe players will be taking on the roles of the classic Inn-Fellows/Heroes of the Lance, with me running a couple of them as NPCs (Riverwind, & Tika).

2/3rds of my players are familar with the setting, having read the original trilogy back in the 90s, but it's been so long that the details are fuzzy for them. I'm planning on tweaking a few encounters and locations to throw them off a bit in case they do remember too much from the books. In addition I'm creating some pretty thorough encounter tables for when they wander off the "adventure path", to make the world seem more alive and open..sandboxy, if you will.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads