• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Setting up a Dragonlance Campaign.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Hello enworld,

I've some players that are pretty gung ho about playing in the Dragonlance setting, so I'm converting the 1st Edition DL series. I've pulled the races out of the PHB that have the notes for the Dragonlance setting excluding the Original Ogre & Twisted Ogre, the only thing I don't have set up are the Classes, I know that Clerical spells don't exist at this time but I'm having a rough time finding what classes in the PHB would fit. Admittedly, I haven't read a Dragonlance book since elementary school so I'm not as up to it as I'd like to be. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Dr.Strangelove

A massive thank you from myself and my players to all of you that have helped, I truly do appreciate it.
-------------------------------
**Races**
Human
Kender (Lightfoot Halfling)
Dwarf: Hill & Mountain
Gnome: Tinker (Rock), Mad (Forest)
Half-Elf
Elves:
Qualinesti (High Elf)

**Classes**
Barbarian-Humans Only
Bard (No healing spells) And cannot multiclass into a class with Divine Spells.
Clerics (Divine)
Druids (Divine)
Fighter
Monk
Rangers (Divine)
Rogues
Paladins (Divine)
Wizards, Following under either: Black,Red or White

** Schools of Magic for Black, Red & White Wizards** Note schools after : denote Arcane Traditions they can use
White Robe Wizards: Abjuration
Abjuration
Divination
Charm
Enchantment
Conjuration
Evocation

Red Robe Wizards: Transmutation
Alteration/Transmutation
Conjuration
Divination
Illusion
Invocation
Phantasm
Summoning

Black Robe Wizards: Necromancy
Charm
Divination
Enchantment
Illusion
Necromantic
Phantasm
Summoning

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
One of the big deals about no cleric magic was there was also no healing magic of any sort.

What I am getting at is bards, bards have access to most of the healing and bringing the dead back to life magic that a cleric does.
They are also arcane, and full casters now would they be subject to the orders of wizardry? My solution would be just to not allow the bard class.
Also good aligned dragon sorcerers would be rare, and wild magic I don't think has a place, so that leaves out sorcerers.

The healer feat would be almost required to play.

Those are my first thoughts on the matter.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Thank you, so out of the classes in the PHB that would leave the: Barbarian, Druid, Fighter, Monk, (I'm assuming Paladin is out), Ranger, Rogue, Warlock & Wizard.

You've helped me out a ton Paraxis, I'm not too knowledgeable on Dragonlance as the last time I read a Dragonlance book I was in Elementary school.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The no cleric thing is just for the first adventure, and the blue crystal staff is provided as a healing substitute in lieu of that.

So that isn't a major issue. What I always struggled with was how to do it narratively. Nobody is going to create a non-magic-using cleric just in case; and if someone creates a non-cleric character, they probably don't want to switch class at the end of Dragons of Despair.

So the only real way to do that is find a player who wants to be a cleric and tell them what's going to happen. Not ideal, as it robs the narrative of that drama, but the best choice available.

Zaran

Adventurer
I would wait for the DMG. For some reason, the kender race will be in the DMG. I think this maybe because the DMG is going to have setting material for Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron. I don't like this very much but it's possible that they did a lot of work for you. Just means you have to wait another month.

Paraxis

Explorer
Thank you, so out of the classes in the PHB that would leave the: Barbarian, Druid, Fighter, Monk, (I'm assuming Paladin is out), Ranger, Rogue, Warlock & Wizard.

You've helped me out a ton Paraxis, I'm not too knowledgeable on Dragonlance as the last time I read a Dragonlance book I was in Elementary school.

Glad to help, but just to mention it has been a long time since I played in the Dragonlance setting or read the books. I did play through those adventures way back in the day, a friend of mine loved the setting and was the DM. So yeah wiser words will come from better sources no doubt.

Skyscraper

Explorer
5E allows you to multiclass easily. Let one or two players pick up classes for their clerics after level 1. Without asking players to do this, you can have the cleric class appeal to them by making a cleric look interesting story-wise. I'm thinking, for example, that a magic item might exist that would open up powers to a follower of the proper faith; or that becoming a cleric would put the character center-stage as far as the story is concerned. You can tell the player secretly: you've been contacted by an angel / you've dreamt of a goddess etc... You are being called to follow the faith of this goddess. You know (as a player) that if you accept, cleric class levels will be available to you to multiclass in the next time you level up, but you need to decide immediately if your character puts his faith in the hands of this goddess. Although you'd need to pick up your next level in cleric, you can thereafter decide at each level what you'll do.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
One of the players has read the Chronicles Trilogy, so he has some idea and mentioned an interest in the Cleric position even without magic. And yes, I've read that the Kender is going to be in the DMG, but the group is itching to start sooner rather than later.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One of the players has read the Chronicles Trilogy, so he has some idea and mentioned an interest in the Cleric position even without magic. And yes, I've read that the Kender is going to be in the DMG, but the group is itching to start sooner rather than later.

That definitely solves that particular problem!

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Haha, that it does. Also, thank you all for your input, my players are going to enjoy the campaign. Even as we've all been conversing here I'm being pestered by 2 of the players.

Remove ads