• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) (+) Reviving Ideas from DnDnext

Shiroiken

Legend
ASI for starting class is absolutely a must! It "solved" the problem of certain races being "bad" at certain classes, since everyone had a boost to be good at it.

The martial die was absolutely amazing, but there's no way that makes a return. It goes against the "simple" philosophy that is very popular with most players/DMs.

I haven't read my packet in years (I actually think I lost it), but IIRC fighters' maneuvers, which all fighters received, were both specific to fighting style and also broader in application*, meaning that the player had more imaginative space with which to describe and implement their maneuvers. That was something which I remember as a big plus. I'll confess to a great deal of disappointment in that being changed.

*please correct me if my memory is incorrect.

- Classes more frontloaded, fulfilling the fantasy of said class by level 10 or so. No more waiting 20 levels to do something basics as becoming harder to be targeted by wolves and gophers!

This. Rather than worrying too much about dead levels or making single-class characters more appealing, have the class fully built by the time most campaigns peter out.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
So much outcry for this one.

Evoker wizard gets this, no one bats an eye.

Martials get to do this? 1000 pages thread about the meaning of HP and verisimilitude!
Because of the faction of folks who view hit points as a physical wounding mechanic. An evoker's fireball does damage on a miss because you still got singed from the flames but you avoided the brunt of the attack.

I think that "damage on a miss" could actually be sold with the right presentation. Calling it "damage on a miss" already sets up people to knock it down. For example, give the Fighter a special ability at 3rd level which is called something like "Weapon Expertise". The text of the rule is something like "You are so highly trained with fighting with your weapons of choice that you rarely actually miss your target when using them - if you do not beat the opponent's AC but also do not roll a 1 you are able to achieve a glancing blow on the target doing Str bonus + proficiency bonus damage. A 1 always misses." Or something to that effect. It respects the fiction for those who want hp to be meat and also works with the vision of the fighter as a martial weapon master.

HammerMan

Legend
As DnD 5.5 or 6E is approaching, I'd like to ask you if there are ideas from the 5e playtest you want to see revived.

I for my parts mentioned elsewhere that I was really fond of Themes. The Idea of different classes somehow sharing a resource and way of fighting seemed very appealing to me.
themes were great. I think we need something (background expansion, theme what ever you call it) that has overlap from class to class to give abilities to match what you want.

I would also like 5.5/6/Anniversary edition to build the martial die into fighters and have subclasses that work off it.

I would also love if they made sorcerers and wizards more distinct. I don't remember the whole thing but I remember a subclass (maybe it was a whole class build?) that as you spent slots you got tougher so you start the day as a wizard but end it like a barbarian.

Remove ads