• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) (+) Reviving Ideas from DnDnext

kapars

Adventurer
Since it may further this discussion it appears that someone is hosting a dndnext playtest document right now . I stumbled on it Googling for info.

Three things that stuck out to me as Monk player:
1. Monk abilities worked without Ki but could be enhanced by spending Ki. This makes so much more sense and we wouldn’t even be having to worry about short rest debates so much
2. Some playtesters must have really hated on the four elements monk to go from the coolness listed there to the half baked third caster we have now. It is like they tried to change it and ran out of time and that is what we’ve been stuck with for 8 years and counting
3. DMs complaining about stunning strike spam need never have happened cause they only triggered attempts on critical hits

Horwath

Legend
  • Manoeuvres for all martials as standard.
  • Sorcerer being actually unique and interesting, rather than a gimped wizard with the metamagic feat glued on.
Maneuvers for all, at least resource pool for them can be on same counter.

Then all classes have their own pace at acquiring them.

Make metamagics spell maneuvers(cost and degree depending on strength of the metamagic effect)

Horwath

Legend
The +1 point of ASI for initial classes was an excellent feature. The earlier playtests (packet 2 or so) had +1 from race, +1 from class. I'd be pretty content with +1 race, +1 subrace, +1 class. A good balance between racial archetype and class development.
+1 ASI from race, based on 3 key abilities
+1 ASI from sub race, based on 3 key abilities
+1 ASI from background, based on 3 key abilites
+1 ASI from class, based on 3 key abilities

No ability can get more than +2 from this.

or just scrape ASI bonuses from race and have modified point buy pool.

point buy pool: 32pts

score 8: 0 pts
score 9: 1 pt
score 10: 2 pts
score 11: 3 pts
score 12: 4 pts
score 13: 5 pts
score 14: 6 pts
score 15: 8 pts
score 16: 10 pts

or default array of: 16,14,14,12,10,8.

Last edited: