• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Playtest 8: Cantrips

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
That is not the 5e spell in the PHB. Here is exactly what it says:

"For the duration, you have advantage on all Charisma checks directed at one creature of your choice that isn't hostile towards you. When the spell ends, the creature realizes you used magic to influence its mood and becomes hostile towards to you. A creature prone to violence might attack you. Another creature might seek retribution in other ways (at the DM's discretion), depending on the nature of your interaction with it." (Pg. 244)

This is in both PHB that I have. The one that was a first print, and the one that I bought this year to replace the first print.
This is the Playtest forum, we are discussing what the Friends cantrip will be in 2024, according to the UA Playtest 8, which I quoted above.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Show of Hands:

Who thinks that True Strike would be broken, if it were to be the same as the UA versions of Guidance and Resistance which currently are "When you or an ally within 10ft of you fails an Ability Check (Guidance) or a Saving Throw (Resistance), you can use your Reaction to add 1d4 to the roll, possibly turning it into a success."

So is it broken if True Strike was ""When you or an ally within 10ft of you fails an Attack Roll, you can use your Reaction to add 1d4 to the roll, possibly turning it into a success."

Because I personally don't think so. Sure, it's really REALLY good, but... 1) The caster will no longer have a reaction. 2) The caster will have to stay close to the person they cast it on, possibly putting themselves in danger. 3) It'll only be used when the attack misses by a disappointingly close margin.

What say you?

Remove ads