• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Playtest 8: Cantrips

Overall good changes.

A few notes:

Friends - Please for god's sake tell us whether this is meant to have bad effects when it wears off so we don't have a situation where 50% of DMs think it does because TRADITION!!! and 50% of DMs don't think it does because it doesn't specifically say so.

Blade Ward - From total trash to nearly must-have for any caster going anywhere near melee. Easily the best use of your Reaction most rounds.

(Hell, Blade Ward might be so good that that we'll see people taking Magic Initiate and the like just to get it - I think that still exists and maybe even is a 1st level Feat in 2024, right?)

True Strike - Hey it's not total rubbish anymore, good job! But if you design it like this, it needs to available to Clerics, for example.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Re: Friends...
Is it really a problem if different DMs interpret it differently? I mean, as long as each individual DM remains consistent. I really don't have a problem with saying "other DMs might do it differently, but this is how I do it" every now and then.

I'm not sure I like the trend toward standardizing the different styles of play. If Bob prefers "tradition!" and Sue prefers "the rules specifically say!" who am I to tell them they're wrong?

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Friends: Add, "When the spell ends, the creature knows you charmed it. Its reaction depends on how you treated it while it was Charmed."

Then, the DM can decide on the fly how the Charmed creature responds, depending on the narrative circumstances.
Man, if I do absolutely know that someone used magic to influence my opinion of them, even if they treated me well, or didn't take advantage of me, I don't know how I don't have an immediate and strong negative reaction as a result. There's a reason the modern consensus on love potions is that they're pretty evil.

Scribe

Legend
Man, if I do absolutely know that someone used magic to influence my opinion of them, even if they treated me well, or didn't take advantage of me, I don't know how I don't have an immediate and strong negative reaction as a result. There's a reason the modern consensus on love potions is that they're pretty evil.
Michael Richards Yes GIF

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
So I love the changes that have made.
Acid Splash (4/5): as a 5ft radius and changing it to evocation so it works with the evocation subclass I a great change.

Blade Ward (5/5): This is a good change, I can see any melee focused caster taking this as a must have but I wouldn't just take a feat for this ability. - was 1/5 greatly improved

Chill Touch (3.5/5): I like it as a touch based attack, this brings it back to its roots, alos since Toll the Dead and Poison Spray are both Necromantic it rounds out the options of cantrip choices. 5he damage bump makes it keep up with the new True Strike cantrip. - Was 4/5 lost range gained damage fair trade off, feels more thematic but might not always use this.

Freinds (4/5): This is finally a useful cantrip instead of a trap option. The whole the subject k own you enchanted them bit made this a never take option. - was 2/5 can only be used once per day on a target but no longer has them angry at you still a great buff.

Poison Spray (3/5): Ranged attack is a good bonus, it is still one of the most resisted damage types but I can still see some druids (spores), warlocks, or possible sorcerers (green dragon) taking this option. Was a 1/5 improved range is nice and to hit roll is great, also enjoy the change to necromancy.

Produce Flame (3/5): Not much has changed, I you are only using it as a utility then the bonus action is nice I guess but in combat it now takes your bonus action to use. The increased range and ability to target objects is a fair trade off. - Was 3/5

Shillelagh (2.5-3/5): Slight Improvement over the old version. This spell still only shines when you have two attacks per round and a fighting style so for single classed Druids is is OK. It is still garbage compared to True Strike, Chill Touch, and shocking grasp however druids don't get access to those spells. For a ranger who takes magic initiate then it is a 4/5. Was a 2/5 so it improved but still not a great melee cantrip choices I would still take throw whip over this.

Shocking Grasp (2.5/5): While the advantage against metal armor rarely came up it is not thT much of a nervous vut it wasn't that great to begin with. - Was 3/5 nerves a little too hard improved.

Spare the Dying (3.5/5): The changes in range make the spell useful so I can see a cleric or druid picking this up as their mid teir cantrip choice. - was 1/5

True Strike (3.5/5): Well conceived and balanced in my opinion. There are two changes I would love to see for this spell, 1: just let us pick a damage type for the extra damage (acid, cold, electric, fire, necrotic, poison, or radiant) this way what ever flavor of gish we want to play we can easily accomplish that., if not that then just change the extra damage to force. 2: Part 9f me says give this to clerics however since they get extra melee damage from their class it might be to much. With this cantrip I would also change Pact of the blade:

Pact of the Blade: You may conjure forth a one handed weapon, or bind a weapon to you to become your Pact weapon. You are always proficient with your Pact weapon. In addition you learn the True Strike cantrip.

Thirsting Blade (5th level): You may use your spell casting ability for both attack and damage rolls with your Pact weapon. If you cast the True Strike cantrip you may make an additional attack with your Pact weapon as part of the same action.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I don't like true strike. The radiant dmg is nice but I prefer more help landing the hit.

Don't like losing the advantage in shocking grasp.

Love new acid splash, I have picked it up a few times in the past, but now will probably use it more.

Remove ads