• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Am I the only one who is getting excited for Star Wars - Attack of the Clones

Florin

First Post
I can't wait to see it. I've loved the only trailer I've seen for it so far. However, I am very annoyed to see advertisments for the trailer!!! I wish Lucas would have stayed more low-key this time around. I just don't want to see the big media-blitz again.

Jezrael

First Post
Quibble

My only quibbles with the movie were the fact that Lucas chose Jake Lloyd over the other kid (from the DVD casting interviews, don't remeber the name), the other kid was a much better actor shoulda went with him. I totally didn't understand his reasoning behind it.:confused:

The fact that they mechanically messed with Natalie Portman's voice when she was in Queen mode kinda got a WTF from me also, I though she sounded much better with her natural voice (from the trailers) than with the "augmentation"

Oh yeah and poop jokes; I hate poop jokes.:mad:

My biggest "meta-quibble" for the overall Episode I experience, were the trailers. They totally telegraphed things that would have had much better impact had we not known of them, such as the double-bladed lightsaber. Least I think so, YMMV.

Edit: Spelling and some grammar

Last edited:

mmu1

First Post
Unrealistic expectations are one thing... George Lucas figuratively holding up the middle finger and saying "My vision! Mine! Me, me, me myself, me! I'm the one and only reason these movies were so great, I'm annoyed at the idea that fans who have waited over 20 years for the next installment can possibly think I have some sort of obligation to them, and I'll make a freakin' kids movie because I want to make even more money." is another.

Still, what killed it for me wasn't that he chose to do things his way - it's his dime, and his right, bad as the end result was... It was all the interviews in which he sounded completely bored and clueless, and only showed flashes of life wheh talking about some new pointless bit of CGI he was excited to play around with. Kind of like this. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-04-18&res=l

Tom Cashel

First Post
Thaumaturge said:
I am totally pumped.

Star Wars is hokey. Star Wars is fun. Long Live Star Wars.

Right on! That's exactly what I think.

Bring on the freakin' clones! And Fett! And Yoda with a lightsaber!

:D

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Lucas: Hey guys, this kiddie-crap-movie idea didn't really work out don't you think? How about we make a love-story instead? Those usually sell good.

The Guys: Yes Master Lucas, what a great idea!

Yoda: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Rashak Mani

First Post
Episode What ? Oh you mean the sequel to that star wars thing.... I´m not excited at all... the trailer was a bust and the actors even worse...

IF and only IF the majority of my friends say its VERY GOOD... will I even think about going to the movies... Episode I was a flop for me.... Ep II doesnt promise anything beyond the same stuff.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I've finally figured it out.

George Lucas has always wanted to do a "Cast of Thousands" movie, a la Lawrence of Arabia or Captain Blood. Episode I was his chance to do that. Visually stunning, and nothing more than a child's fairy tale in its core.

Ep II is shaping up to be part "love story," part "cast of thousands" movie also. While some people hate these movies in preference to the small-character driven stories of the first three Star Wars Films, it is just another genre and style of 1940's to 1960's style of movie that George lucas loves. How many people realize that Lucas directly ripped off scads of World War II fighter-pilot movies with the assault on the death star? He even inserted WW II fighter pilot footage of US fighters attacking a Japanese Battleship when Star Wars IV was in post-production, as place fillers!

Ep II is going to contain hundreds of Jedi Fighting a desperate battle with thousands of opposition, and we the fans are going to eat up the scenes.

maddman75

First Post
I love Star Wars - the original three. Episode I however does not inspire me to watch II or III. It wasn't bad - it had good effects, exciting battles, but it just felt different. And the fart jokes are too much.

I'll probably not turn the channel when it comes out on HBO. But I'm much more interested in LotR, waiting for the next movie, waiting for FotR to come out on DVD.

I just don't care anymore.

kenjib

First Post
I thought Episode I was okay. Not as good as IV-VI but still okay. The visuals were fantastic, at least. This second one looks kind of boring though. Something about the feel of the fight scenes in the trailer looked to have more potential than the Ep I ones (the ep I light saber duels didn't grab me - there was choreography but no drama). However, the love scene stuff just looks very boring.

Don't get me wrong - I like love stories. It Happened One Night is one of my favorite movies, and I could name others. I cry at "chick flicks." However, this one just doesn't look very interesting. A love story in outer space is pretty hokey, even if it's well done. I'd rather just watch a good love story instead. Judging by the dialog in the trailor, it's not even very well done - just mediocre. I'd like to see the film but I really don't want to sit through all of the boring stuff. I don't have an attention span problem either. I can enjoy slow paced movies just fine.

I don't have any kind of judgemental feelings about it based on expectations of Ep. I, etc. So far I don't think that any of the "naysayer" criteria fit me very well. It just honestly didn't look all that interesting to me in the trailer. I'll probably see it in the theatre though because I like the Star Wars visuals. The eye candy is darned hard to beat and requires the big screen to fully appreciate. That plus I'm pretty sure my wife will want to see it.

Just as there are people that slam the movie because it's "another Star Wars movie." There are also people who anticipate it eagerly just because it's "another Star Wars movie." I think that it's hard, if not impossible, to look at something like Episode I - or the trailers to Episode II - on it's own merits. I don't even think that it's all that productive to do so, since it is a series, after all. If someone doesn't like how a series is headed, that's a perfectly valid complaint for not liking something. If someone likes something just because it's part of a series they like - that's also a perfectly valid reason.

Remove ads