• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Level Up spell lists by class/level

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From a layout perspective, I'd rather the spell name wasn't indented and any description lines are. I had a hard time tracking my eye down these lists to read just the spell names.
This isn’t the book. It’s just me making a list. We have an actual designer making the book. :)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Seems weird that Corpse Explosion is evocation instead of necromancy. I would have favored the "Corpse" part over the "Explosion" part.
Look at the other necromancy spells
  • Chill Touch (nec): Attack with the chill of the grave, injuring and preventing healing.
  • False Life (nec): Gain temporary hit points.
  • Ray of Enfeeblement (nec): Shoot a ray of necrotic damage that weakens a creature.
  • Gentle Repose (nec): Prevent a corpse from decaying or being raised as undead.
  • Animate Dead (nec): Create undead to do your bidding.
    Bestow Curse (nec): Lay a curse upon a creature, giving it potentially long-lasting penalties.
  • Vampiric Touch (nec): Make a touch attack that drains life force and heals your wounds.
  • Blight (nec): Attack a creature by drawing the moisture from it, harming most and
  • Circle of Death (nec): Suck the life force from an area, dealing necrotic damage in a
  • Create Undead (nec): Raise three or fewer humanoid corpses as ghouls.
  • Eyebite (nec): Use a gaze attack to curse creatures.
  • Finger of Death (nec): Wrack a creature with negative energy that deals 7d8+30 necrotic damage.
  • Magic Jar (nec): Move your soul into a jar in order to possess another creature.
  • Inescapable Malady (nec): Infect a creature with an arcane disease.
  • Heart of Dis (nec): Magically replace your heart with one forged on the second layer of
  • Astral Projection (nec): Travel the astral plane.

every single one of them sticks to a theme of negatively manipulating the body and/or soul with heart of dis beng the uncertain odd man out pending more details on what the replacement does while corpse explosion just makes a corpse explode in a poisonous cloud. Necromancy would be an extremely strange fit for corpse explosion just because it uses a corpse of some kind as a component. The spell schools themselves seem much more tied to their thematic niche rather than trying to allow some loopholes for 3.x banned schools to cross functionality.

I wish chill touch was moved to a leveled spell & replaced with some other necromancy cantrip that does not stop healing/regen though.

Faolyn

(she/her)
OK, I said I wouldn't have a mass of questions, but here's one more: why isn't spore sight on the druid's list? Just a mistake in this particular list, I hope.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Seems weird that Corpse Explosion is evocation instead of necromancy. I would have favored the "Corpse" part over the "Explosion" part.
Look at the other necromancy spells
  • Chill Touch (nec): Attack with the chill of the grave, injuring and preventing healing.
  • Ray of Enfeeblement (nec): Shoot a ray of necrotic damage that weakens a creature.
  • Gentle Repose (nec): Prevent a corpse from decaying or being raised as undead.
  • Animate Dead (nec): Create undead to do your bidding.
    Bestow Curse (nec): Lay a curse upon a creature, giving it potentially long-lasting penalties.
  • Vampiric Touch (nec): Make a touch attack that drains life force and heals your wounds.
  • Blight (nec): Attack a creature by drawing the moisture from it, harming most and
  • Circle of Death (nec): Suck the life force from an area, dealing necrotic damage in a
  • Create Undead (nec): Raise three or fewer humanoid corpses as ghouls.
  • Eyebite (nec): Use a gaze attack to curse creatures.
  • Finger of Death (nec): Wrack a creature with negative energy that deals 7d8+30 necrotic damage.
  • Magic Jar (nec): Move your soul into a jar in order to possess another creature.
  • Inescapable Malady (nec): Infect a creature with an arcane disease.
  • Heart of Dis (nec): Magically replace your heart with one forged on the second layer of
  • Astral Projection (nec): Travel the astral plane.

every single one of them sticks to a theme of negatively manipulating the body and/or soul with heart of dis beng the uncertain odd man out pending more details on what the replacement does while corpse explosion just makes a corpse explode in a poisonous cloud. Necromancy would be an extremely strange fit for corpse explosion just because it uses a corpse of some kind as a component. The spell schools themselves seem much more tied to their thematic niche rather than trying to allow some loopholes for 3.x banned schools to cross functionality.

I wish chill touch was moved to a leveled spell & replaced with some other necromancy cantrip that does not stop healing/regen though.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I happened to notice that slow is not "6 creatures" while scrolling through & maybe becomes an awesome debuff compared to the original o5e version so felt inspired to go through & note all the awesome changes like it that I noticed once I started looking
cantrips
  • Acid Splash: Sounds like this might be AoE now instead of choose two creatures within 5 feet if each other making it really interesting as a cantrip option & potentially avoiding what seems in my experience to be a common misconception that acid splash damages anyone close rather than choose 2 by shifting it to "yep yea that's why I use it it's cool!". Not enough detail to say more but with the pestilence cantrip being a 10ft sphere it seems to be a maybe plausible guess on the aoe.
  • True strike: From the wording it sounds like this might be moving from a pointless use an action instead of attacking to roll with advantage on 1 attack next round up to an actually interesting & maybe even great choice that grants advantage on "attacks" against a single creature. With it on the list for heralds I could see it being one of their go to cherished openings
1st level
  • Goodberry: it mentions healing but not the"the "completely obliviate the strain of finding food with a first level slot when it should be an issue food" component so given what was already said about create water that might not be much of of the spell's benefit in terms of not dismissing the whole problem at no real cost🎉.
  • 3rd level
  • Bestow Curse: The new summary says "potentially long-lasting", while I'm trying not to read too much into fluff given the original's 1 minute concentration duration this might be getting improved as well.
6th level
  • eyebite: The o5e version is a nice idea that just misses the mark for a 6th level spell, but this one says "to curse creatures" & the curse spell sounds dramatically improved in ways that might make this a great self buff for debuffing things.
7th level
  • Delayed Blast Fireball: Interesting to note that this says it does more damage the longer you hold it. the o5e version is just a static bunch of dice based on slot level

Im assuming these are just srd/phb and lu spells and that xgte ang tce spells are still fine on there relevent lists?

Also eould have liked to see create food snd drink on the druids list but that might just be me

dave2008

Legend
7th level
  • Delayed Blast Fireball: Interesting to note that this says it does more damage the longer you hold it. the o5e version is just a static bunch of dice based on slot level
What? The O5e spell works the same way (except you do not hold it):

"A beam of yellow light flashes from your pointing finger, then condenses to linger at a chosen point within range as a glowing bead for the duration. When the spell ends, either because your concentration is broken or because you decide to end it, the bead blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame that spreads around corners....

...The spell’s base damage is 12d6. If at the end of your turn the bead has not yet detonated, the damage increases by 1d6."

It is a 1 minute concentration spell. That is potentially a 21d6 fireball. At least that is my interpretation from this and the rest of the description.

Remove ads