• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog (A5E) Let’s Take A Journey…

In previous articles, we’ve looked at things like Level Up: Advanced 5E's exploration challenges, boons, and monster signs, and supplies and safe havens. But how does this all fit together? https://www.levelup5e.com/news/lets-take-a-journey

In previous articles, we’ve looked at things like Level Up: Advanced 5E's exploration challenges, boons, and monster signs, and supplies and safe havens. But how does this all fit together?

image3.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is the expectation that the GM will have some explicit havens somewhere in the dungeon for the players to find? Is there any provision for being able to create havens?
Yes to both. The GM always has the final say, and decides what is where. And some class features and spells allow for the creation of havens. Plus some of the random discoveries and boons might be a natural (or unnatural!) haven.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Yes to both. The GM always has the final say, and decides what is where. And some class features and spells allow for the creation of havens. Plus some of the random discoveries and boons might be a natural (or unnatural!) haven.

Cool, thanks! I think it would also be interesting to consider what avenues a party might have if they know that they want to establish a relatively safe base camp far from civilization, without recourse to spells or specific class abilities. For example, it doesn't seem realistic to expect a group to go a month without a long rest while adventuring in a remote area, and yet, there will definitely be situations where a group wants to plan for adventuring in a remote area for an extended period of time. Maybe even something as simple as using special supplies, or extra supplies, for a long rest, or some sort of limited capacity resource that the party can use judiciously. So, maybe they can't get a long rest every night, but they can create some sort of temporary shelter that allows one long rest every week.

I really like the idea that spells and class abilities can make this part of the game easier, but I also think it's good to give players more control by giving them options that don't depend on party makeup.

Anyway, just some ideas to think about.

Staffan

Legend
Cool, thanks! I think it would also be interesting to consider what avenues a party might have if they know that they want to establish a relatively safe base camp far from civilization, without recourse to spells or specific class abilities. For example, it doesn't seem realistic to expect a group to go a month without a long rest while adventuring in a remote area, and yet, there will definitely be situations where a group wants to plan for adventuring in a remote area for an extended period of time. Maybe even something as simple as using special supplies, or extra supplies, for a long rest, or some sort of limited capacity resource that the party can use judiciously. So, maybe they can't get a long rest every night, but they can create some sort of temporary shelter that allows one long rest every week.

I really like the idea that spells and class abilities can make this part of the game easier, but I also think it's good to give players more control by giving them options that don't depend on party makeup.

Anyway, just some ideas to think about.
I was under the impression that A5E will still have short and long rests that work more or less as in O5E, but with the added issues of Supplies, Fatigue, and Strife. You can still recover hit points and spells while out and about, and to some degree you'll be able to forage for supplies and/or use spells to deal with it, but you need a haven to get rid of Fatigue and Strife. Basically, havens are for R&R.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I was under the impression that A5E will still have short and long rests that work more or less as in O5E, but with the added issues of Supplies, Fatigue, and Strife. You can still recover hit points and spells while out and about, and to some degree you'll be able to forage for supplies and/or use spells to deal with it, but you need a haven to get rid of Fatigue and Strife. Basically, havens are for R&R.

Hmm, you might be right. I'll have to go back and look at some of the earlier blog posts.

Edit: Ah, found it. You're right! In that case, that definitely helps. I'll need to wait to see the full rules, but it's probably fine to deal with low levels of fatigue and loss of resolve over the long-term. That actually might kind of help reinforce how difficult it is to head off into the uncharted wilds.

Faolyn

(she/her)
So here's a question: does Leomund's tiny hut count as a haven? What about Galdur's tower? Or do we have to wait for a magnificent mansion?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So here's a question: does Leomund's tiny hut count as a haven? What about Galdur's tower? Or do we have to wait for a magnificent mansion?
I hope not just as I hope the chef(cook?) givingan extra hit die of recovery on a long rest means more incremental rests.

Staffan

Legend
I'm hoping Tiny Hut doesn't count, because it's basically just a souped-up tent. It's a good camp site, but not what I'd think of as a haven. I'm thinking that making your own haven should be difficult, at least without settling down and Robinsoning it up.

Hmm, come to think of it, I could see a multi-tier system of havens/camps, where there are a few steps in between campsite and inn/home. Just spitballing here, but maybe the Hut could suffice for recovering the worst levels of Fatigue/Strife, but in order to be truly rested you need a proper bed in either a good inn or a proper home.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm hoping Tiny Hut doesn't count, because it's basically just a souped-up tent. It's a good camp site, but not what I'd think of as a haven. I'm thinking that making your own haven should be difficult, at least without settling down and Robinsoning it up.

Hmm, come to think of it, I could see a multi-tier system of havens/camps, where there are a few steps in between campsite and inn/home. Just spitballing here, but maybe the Hut could suffice for recovering the worst levels of Fatigue/Strife, but in order to be truly rested you need a proper bed in either a good inn or a proper home.
I can definitely see that. Since tiny hut is magical (and keeps a nice temperature), it doesn't hurt to check.

As you brought up "Robinsoning," your next point also makes sense and I hope it gets clarified. At some point, a base camp could become a home of sorts, especially in a circumstance where no other options are possible. Not right away, because yeah, making a haven should take a but, but it will be interesting to see what the actual cut-off between the two places are.

Remove ads

Remove ads