Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So we have many, many rounds where we can’t act? Are you going to roll strength damage and rounds affected or should we do it each individually ?
The characters are only dazed for 1 round.

The weakened effect lasts 5 rounds. So, while Vitus can't act in this round (rnd. 8), he can act in a weakened state in the rounds after he comes out of being dazed.

If he must attack with a melee weapon, he simply does so at a -4 to hit. Plus, you must apply any negative values due to temporary Strength loss. For Vitus, he would be at -3 to his damage with any weapons that require Strength, instead of +1.

(BTW, your character sheet doesn't list Vitus's feats or any of his equipment. I need you to update that as soon as you can.)

I do see he has a crossbow, so he can use that without any worry of the Strength reduction.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hmm, I might not have done the spread right. I didn't take into account the height of the room.

EDIT: It might not matter, since the spells area is 40 feet, but I need to doublecheck.

The characters are only dazed for 1 round.

The weakened effect lasts 5 rounds. So, while Vitus can't act in this round (rnd. 8), he can act in a weakened state in the rounds after he comes out of being dazed.

If he must attack with a melee weapon, he simply does so at a -4 to hit. Plus, you must apply any negative values due to temporary Strength loss. For Vitus, he would be at -3 to his damage with any weapons that require Strength, instead of +1.

(BTW, your character sheet doesn't list Vitus's feats or any of his equipment. I need you to update that as soon as you can.)

I do see he has a crossbow, so he can use that without any worry of the Strength reduction.
I have an updated sheet that’s private. I guess I haven’t updated the public one. I will do so. Although it’s weird that there are no feats. He has combat casting and something else. I forget. I’ll check when I get home. Level 8 human should have two feats, right?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Found this in the Rules of the Game archive:
The rules don't tell you what to do when whatever blocks the spread's line of effect isn't a solid object (for example, an antimagic field). In this case, just the treat the antimagic field like a solid obstacle. A spell with a spread area and the sonic descriptor will spread around a silence spell.
So, the antimagic field doesn't negate the blasphemy's spread. It is treated as a solid object like a wall and the spread flows around it. That means there is more than enough spread to hit all the characters.

I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm fairly certain that spread spell effects take the path of least resistance. Maybe that was a 2E thing... I can't remember. But, I can't really find anything that says a spread effect will go up a wall instead of staying along the ground when it hits a physical barrier, but there is an opening in the barrier that allows the spread to go around it.

For the map below, the red dots show the normal radius of the spell while the orange dots show where the spell spreads after hitting and going/turning around physical barriers.

Reminder to self! The single open door is 5 feet wide but 10 feet tall.

Portal Room Fight2-Rnd8-Bugbear's Blasphemy.png

EDIT: Oops, the orange dot on the east half or the table should be red. And the one on Rockhorn.

Last edited:

Found this in the Rules of the Game archive:

So, the antimagic field doesn't negate the blasphemy's spread. It is treated as a solid object like a wall and the spread flows around it. That means there is more than enough spread to hit all the characters.

I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm fairly certain that spread spell effects take the path of least resistance. Maybe that was a 2E thing... I can't remember. But, I can't really find anything that says a spread effect will go up a wall instead of staying along the ground when it hits a physical barrier, but there is an opening in the barrier that allows the spread to go around it.

For the map below, the red dots show the normal radius of the spell while the orange dots show where the spell spreads after hitting and going/turning around physical barriers.

Reminder to self! The single open door is 5 feet wide but 10 feet tall.

View attachment 359990
EDIT: Oops, the orange dot on the east half or the table should be red. And the one on Rockhorn.
That's 2e. Like fireball filling a space small space and being forced down corridors because the small space can't contain its spread. In 3.5, you do your 40 foot radius and have it go around obstacles within that 40 feet.

Below is a pretty bad example because my circle isn't perfectly round but, as you can see, it doesn't quite hit the dead orc. But because the door is open, the spell spills out around the corner and still ends up hitting everyone anyways.

spread.png

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Anyway, here is the living altar's attack against the bugbear...

Uses the psionic power Energy Current (augmented as if it uses 15 power points), which means it does 15d6 points of electricity damage and the save DC increases to 24 plus 2 for the power being electricity based for a total DC of 26.

The living altar also gets a +2 to on its manifester level check to overcome the bugbear cleric's SR, which is 10 less against the psionic constructs power (21 -10 = 11).

Living Altar - Manifester check vs the Bugbear Cleric: 1D20+21 = [4]+21 = 25 (success)
Living Altar - Electricity Damage to Bugbear Cleric: 15D6 = [4, 4, 5, 5, 3, 6, 6, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 6] = 61

Khagron (bugbear cleric) - DC 26 Reflex Saving Throw: 1D20+12 = [8]+12 = 20 (failed)

Damage taken is reduced to 51 points of damage, but that is still more than 50 points of damage from one attack, so Khagron must makes a DC Fortitude saving throw vs. massive damage.

Khagron (bugbear cleric) - DC 15 Fortitude save vs Massive Damage: 1D20+14 = [1]+14 = 15 (failed)

I don't 🤬 believe it! I rolled a Natural 1! Ugh.

And, the bugbear dies from massive damage. 🤦‍♂️

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Initiative Order (Round Eight [Updated])
Eeldai [djinni] (bless; dazed [1 rnd.]; weakened): 18
Lithia (loyalist): 18 (unconscious)
Vincenzo (bless, haste, lesser vigor; dazed [1 rnd.], poisoned, weakened): 18
Gattas (dazed [1 rnd.], weakened): 17 (surrendered)
Tim (bless, haste, protection from fire; dazed [1 rnd.], weakened): 17
Custodio (bless, haste, lesser vigor; dazed [1 rnd.], poisoned, weakened): 16

Tuck (bless, haste; dazed [1 rnd.], helpless [STR 0], weakened): 14
Bugbear Cleric: 13 (dead)
Living Altar [construct]: 12 (kills the bugbear cleric with massive damage)
Akos (bless): 12 ⬅️
Dungeonbred Unicorn [summoned] (bless, hasted; dazed [1 rnd.], paralyzed [10 min.], weakened): 12
Rockhorn (benediction and lesser vigor [RH only], bless, haste; dazed [1 rnd.], weakened): 11
Spritewing (bless, haste; dazed [1 rnd.], paralyzed [10 min.], weakened): 11
Mitrik (thug): 10 (dead)
Falen (bless; dazed [1 rnd.], weakened): 8
Vitus (bless, invisibility purge; dazed [1 rnd.], weakened): 7

The Deaf-Mute Knight (bless, bull's strength, haste, lesser vigor; cursed): 1

Last edited:

Remove ads