• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I bought GURPS 4e!!!! (and returned it the next day)

VirgilCaine

First Post
Hunter Simon said:
What's *that* supposed to mean? Some of us think d20 Modern is a great game.

I do too--for someone else!
For me, fantasy games should stay where I won't groan and moan about things being impossible--not in the modern day!

Dancer

Explorer
I had my 4e books for about a week now with no problems. So have a couple of my friends. Also, remember, the vast majority of people who buy the books don't post on boards. So Hunter Simon's insinuation that it is wide-spread isn't based on anything but his own bias.

Also, Hunter Simon, there are ways to respond to posts without being snide or rude. You should perhaps try one of those methods. Your posts would appear more credible if the apparant attitude behind them was toned down a bit.

Emiricol

Jürgen Hubert said:
Not as smoothly as GURPS, though. How about these characters:

- A child who is also a very powerful telekinetic - but the same power also goes of uncontrollable now and then, and becomes a danger to everyone around him.

- An old man who is physically frail and could be knocked unconscious with one punch - but who has a lot of knowledge of certain academic fields, a vast fortune, and a large number of contacts and allies all around the world.

- A sapient wolf.

- An artificial intelligence that can switch between multiple robotic bodies, and be restored from backup.
I could whip any one of those out in minutes with Mutants & Masterminds. Admittedly, it isn't D20 since it only complies with OGL, but I think it fair to say it is just an application of the D20 mechanics with some nice twists.

NilesB

First Post
Sir Elton said:
Yeah. But David Pulver worked for Guardians of Order first, and I think Mr. McKinnon wrote both BESM and BESM d20. David Pulver wrote BESM d20 Mecha, though.
David Pulver was writing GURPS books some years before Guardians of Order was founded.

twofalls

DM Beadle
After reading this thread, I'm reminded of a quote I once heard. "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." It seems relevent here.

Game systems aside, its seems to me that the person telling the story, and those folks participating and weaving that story with him will determine how enjoyable a game session or campiagn will be, not the rules they use to play it.

I've been a GM for 26 years, I have over 100 GURPS books gracing my shelves, and most of them are brilliant.

I have nearly the same number of 3.0 hardbacks sitting right next to those books, and many of them are also brilliant.

D20 modern, Shadowrun, Runequest, Earthdawn, Battletech, Shatterzone, Battle Lords of the 23rd Century, Warhammer, Rifts, etc. etc.

The point here is that each game has its charms and blemishes (I dislike Palladium's system, but love thier ideas for example) but wherever you go in the hobby you will find those who will defend them to thier dying breath... and they are all correct in doing so.

Thank you for the look into Gurps 4E, I think I will head over to the SJG boards and see what folks there have to say about it.

Paul

First Post
Hunter Simon said:
People from all over the place have had their GURPS 4e books fall apart, so it's hard to say.

Earlier this week, I actually went through both RPG.net and our forums, and counted the number of people who have had binding problems.

The total? 12.

Since then I've talked to both our Sales Manager and our Warehouse 23 Manager. Yes, there have been bad bindings. Out of the thousands that have been sold, less than 50 have been reported as having binding errors.

If the bindings were giving out as fast as some would have you believe, we'd be swamped with angry customers and retailers, and we'd be sueing the pants off the printer. And, most importantly, we'd be admiting it, in public, likely with a Daily Illuminator written by SJ himself.

But they're not. A few people have had some bad luck, and we're doing our best to make it right for them. The vast majority of 4E customers, however, are having no problems.

Paul Chapman
Marketing Director
Steve Jackson Games
paul@sjgames.com

Allanon

Explorer
Emiricol said:
I could whip any one of those out in minutes with Mutants & Masterminds. Admittedly, it isn't D20 since it only complies with OGL, but I think it fair to say it is just an application of the D20 mechanics with some nice twists.
I said the same on page three ;)

Emiricol

Paul said:
Earlier this week, I actually went through both RPG.net and our forums, and counted the number of people who have had binding problems.

The total? 12.

Since then I've talked to both our Sales Manager and our Warehouse 23 Manager. Yes, there have been bad bindings. Out of the thousands that have been sold, less than 50 have been reported as having binding errors.

If the bindings were giving out as fast as some would have you believe, we'd be swamped with angry customers and retailers, and we'd be sueing the pants off the printer. And, most importantly, we'd be admiting it, in public, likely with a Daily Illuminator written by SJ himself.

But they're not. A few people have had some bad luck, and we're doing our best to make it right for them. The vast majority of 4E customers, however, are having no problems.

Paul Chapman
Marketing Director
Steve Jackson Games
paul@sjgames.com
Thank you for posting. I had resigned myself to not buying it, and the binding was the single issue that tipped the balance. My budget is limited after all, so I am picky about my purchases usually. I will probably pick it up now.

buzz

Adventurer
Emiricol said:
My budget is limited after all, so I am picky about my purchases usually.
My impression from the SJG boards is that if you're a GURPS fan, you'll most likely love it. I was not a fan (to say the least) before, but I am becoming one as I read through the new edition. This is good stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads