• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Has Wizards Screwed up again

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Same rules apply for this as does with videogames that do "early release" for pre-ordering certain SKUs.

It's not early release. It's the release. They didn't get it early, the rest of us just get it late. They didn't bait and switch. It's just a poopy practice that I'd like to stop proliferating.

GameMasters

Explorer
Greetings All,

To address a few things that came up in this thread: No, it's not click bait for one.

@Demetrios1453 yes, I purchased the digital + physical bundle, I show this in the video.

@mamba there is no need for me to check my spam folder, I got the digital code, I entered it, it shows I own it. I synced the entitlements. no access. I emailed wizard's support they told me that I only would get access to Nest of the Eldritch eye and that I had to purchase both the physical + digital to get early access to Eve. I replied back that I DID purchase the bundle. They replied back and said I bought it from the wrong website (marketplace.dndbeyond - which is where their advertisement took me to TO preorder). I took my confusion to their discord and they began deleting my comments. Again, all of this is IN the video (recordings, emails, receipts).

@UngainlyTitan even a DnD Staff member, in their official forums, admitted that it was due to the marketplace update that caused the early access preorders to end. When I (as well as others) emailed customer service, they shrugged it off. This is all shown in my videos.

@Oofta I'm not ranting for sake of ranting and saying that wizards has screwed up again. Something DID happen. I detail it out very carefully and very calmly in the videos. I, and many others, paid for a product that advertised to come with an early access perk and wizards flatly is denying that perk.

@Azzy please define clickbait. What I present 100% happened, it's not fabricated. I provide a full accounting of exactly what happened.

@Epic Meepo as mentioned above, please define clickbait. Again, what I presented 100% happened.

@Dire Bare everything you posted 1) , 2) , and 3) I present in the video. Today, June 9th, is a good two days past the early release window. There is no need for me to check my spam folder (but I did just to make some happy) because I DID get the code. I entered it in, I synced the entitlements. Still no access. I emailed their customer support. again, all of this was shows in the video. Not sure how that in any way constitutes as clickbait.

Please understand that none of this is to present an argument. I am merely pointing out what all responsible steps I took to get early access to the content that I paid for and I am responding to the accusations that I created click bait. I'm not a fan of "and it just got worse" style videos.

I am 100% sincere in this.

Thank you,

-GM.

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
@Epic Meepo as mentioned above, please define clickbait. Again, what I presented 100% happened.
Apologies for mischaracterizing your video. I blame the context in which it was posted. Of late on this particular forum, I have to assume any link posted in a thread asking if WotC has screwed up again is clickbait, since accusing WotC of hyperbolic malfeasance at the drop of a hat seems to be one established tactic for OP's looking to generate engagement with their threads.

GameMasters

Explorer
Apologies for mischaracterizing your video. I blame the context in which it was posted. Of late on this particular forum, I have to assume any link posted in a thread asking if WotC has screwed up again is clickbait, since accusing WotC of hyperbolic malfeasance at the drop of a hat seems to be one established tactic for OP's looking to generate engagement with their threads.
no apologies needed. I most certainly understand. 'clickbait' videos are a major thing just to get views, I don't make videos for the views, I make them for the pure fun of it (save for when I see something that just is bad business - I don't want to see others fall victim of it). Yes, they generate a little money and that's nice, but that is not my drive.
My drive is to build a positive community of gamers and I have seen MANY positive threads here on enworld which is why I reached out.

I appreciate you giving me an opportunity.

No, it's not click bait for one.
Yes, yes it is.
It doesn't matter if its true or not. You presented it as click bait as demonstrated by your title card and controversial title. That is what makes something click bait. Not whether it is true or not.

Since you would like definitions:
- clickbait
is a text or a thumbnail link that is designed to attract attention and to entice users to follow ("click") that link and read, view, or listen to the linked piece of online content, being typically deceptive, sensationalized, or otherwise misleading.
- Clickbait - Wikipedia
something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest
- Definition of CLICKBAIT
typically refers to the practice of writing sensationalized or misleading headlines in order to attract clicks on a piece of content
- Clickbait

You'll notice that nowhere do any of these definitions actually require that the story or content be untrue. Nor does your intention actually matter.

Your video is click-bait.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, yes it is.
It doesn't matter if its true or not. You presented it as click bait as demonstrated by your title card and controversial title. That is what makes something click bait. Not whether it is true or not.

Since you would like definitions:

- clickbait

- Clickbait - Wikipedia

- Definition of CLICKBAIT

- Clickbait

You'll notice that nowhere do any of these definitions actually require that the story or content be untrue. Nor does your intention actually matter.

Your video is click-bait.

For better or worse, clickbait is the way to get views. A good explanation of why people do this can be found here: , a video by Veratasium a guy who does science videos.

It doesn't excuse sensationalized podcasts but it explains why it can be kind of a necessary evil if you want to get anyone interested. Short version: they posted the video on throwing a basketball off a dam and other people who reposted the video got far more eyeballs than he did because of the title. Once he changed the title, it got a ton more views.

Dire Bare

Legend
For better or worse, clickbait is the way to get views. A good explanation of why people do this can be found here: , a video by Veratasium a guy who does science videos.

It doesn't excuse sensationalized podcasts but it explains why it can be kind of a necessary evil if you want to get anyone interested. Short version: they posted the video on throwing a basketball off a dam and other people who reposted the video got far more eyeballs than he did because of the title. Once he changed the title, it got a ton more views.
Oh, there is definitely reasons why YouTubers use click-bait video title screens, even with good intentions. I get it.

I'm also tired of it and have (mostly) stopped clicking on them. Don't care WHY a creator is using click-bait, it will cause me to be much less likely to click the video link.

There is also degrees of click-bait. There are some creators I follow who use click-bait, but in a mildly ironic way. Almost as if telling me, "Yeah, sorry, but what are ya gonna do?" Of course, maybe because I'm already a fan, I'm more forgiving . . . and less forgiving for creators I'm unfamiliar with.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

EDIT: And I'll add . . . this really isn't a new phenomena, we used to call them "headlines" when it was trying to sell newspapers or magazines. But . . . there are good ways to write attention-grabbing video titles or headlines without resorting to the worst click-bait. Some creators manage, I'm sure its an art not everyone excels at.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Oh, there is definitely reasons why YouTubers use click-bait video title screens, even with good intentions. I get it.

I'm also tired of it and have (mostly) stopped clicking on them. Don't care WHY a creator is using click-bait, it will cause me to be much less likely to click the video link.

There is also degrees of click-bait. There are some creators I follow who use click-bait, but in a mildly ironic way. Almost as if telling me, "Yeah, sorry, but what are ya gonna do?" Of course, maybe because I'm already a fan, I'm more forgiving . . . and less forgiving for creators I'm unfamiliar with.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I'm not disagreeing. :)

Remove ads