• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greyhawk characters in Epic Level Handbook?

Cyronax

Explorer
Re: Philidor again.

A'koss said:
Cyronax, apparantly the whole point of creating a construct (remember it's just a fancy golem, not an avatar) was to circumvent the ban on direct intervention the GH deities have with one another. This way, evil doesn't get a "freebee" in the same way that they do with St. Cuthbert's intervention.

Philidor was created specifically to oppose Iuz - remember that he showed up a year before the signing of the Greyhawk Pact, when it looked like Good was going to be overwhelmed. This is also why he was so interested in the Vesve Forest. Philidor left when the forces of Good came back in power and he was no longer needed.

Great, thanks A'koss. That helps a lot. In that same vein, the appearance of (St.) Mayaheine from the other world was also instigated by Pelor. I just remembered that bit.

I guess Pelor really is an active deity. I always thought of him more as "in the background." Rao was the one who seemed to be the most active of the good aligned greater gods, since he gave St. Cuthbert his power and was involved in the whole Flight of Fiends plot device.

Later,
C.I.D.

chatdemon

First Post
Re: Philidor

Cyronax said:
Not one to question the bit about Philidor being a celestial construct,
...snip...
I seem to remember him being a 25th level wizard.....elf with blue skin if I remember correctly. So is he basically an avatar of Pelor? Interesting.

I don't know how much of the "info" on Philidor being tossed around here is canon, but as far as Living Greyhawk, and by extension 3e core Greyhawk, is concerned, none of this is canon. He is a race unknown, abilities unknown, level 20+ wizard, and that's it. The rest is just speculation as far as LG and the Greyhawk lore that would filter into the Epic book go.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I see Greyhawk characters being used as examples, much as MotP used its cosmology for examples and D&DG will use its gods as examples. THe FR stuff is in an appendix, which makes me believes the Greyhawk stuff will be in the book as examples and the like...

NLP

First Post
I see the Epic System as being that step between Hero and God. If that is the case, then I think there are many characters that fall within that pervue.

Iggwilv: Easily 25+
Mordenkainen: 20+
Rary: 20+
Gwydiesin of the Cranes: 25+
Philidor: 25+/-
Canon Hazen: 20+
Jason Krimeah: 20+

Immediately spring to mind. On top of those, you have all those quasi/heroic dieties (which to me fit within the Epic, pre-god concept):

Heward: Was 20 Bard, 10 MU/Ill
Keoghtom: Was 18 MU, 16 Ill, 14 Cleric
Murylynd: Now lesser diety, but not demi-god so could fit.
Kelanen: Now lesser diety, but not demi-god so could fit.

And these don't even begin to touch on many of the other "old-time" characters such as Leomund, Riggby, etc. I think you could easily include a dozen or more Epic Level characters into the book.

grodog

Hero
Re: Philidor

Cyronax said:
Not one to question the bit about Philidor being a celestial construct, but what are the details on this? Storywise that is? I seem to remember him being given his most detailed treatment in the Marklands supplement.....but then again I've forgotten what that had said.

I seem to remember him being a 25th level wizard.....elf with blue skin if I remember correctly. So is he basically an avatar of Pelor? Interesting. So where did Evil balance out that one? Cuthbert and Iuz seem to manifest in sort of a tit for tat fashion (old ToEE as an example?), but what of Pelor (and other gods for that matter)?

For Philidor info, see this post in the Greytalk Archives:

http://www.greycitadel.com/greycita...nDocument&Highlight=2,philidor,sargent,letter

Enjoy!

tsadkiel

Legend
Philidor

Philidor is also the Prince of the Munchkins. No, really! In one of the post-Baum Oz books, the long lost prince of the munchkins is named Philidor.

Killer Shrike

First Post

Harlequin

First Post
Living Greyhawk #0

I would love to have a copy of this Mag as it has the background info and stats of the Circle in all thier 3E glory :)

Can anyone help with this info?

Harlequin

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Living Greyhawk #0

Harlequin said:
I would love to have a copy of this Mag as it has the background info and stats of the Circle in all thier 3E glory :)

Can anyone help with this info?

Harlequin
That info also was in Dragon #284, BTW.

Remove ads