• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the Forgotten Realms experiencing a new Golden Age now that its NOT the default 5e setting anymore?

aco175

Legend
I have a theory that Wizards just copied Disney and the Marvel movies. Lure people in with Iron Man and Captain America. Throw the people something like Quantomania and tell them it is the real world but not the REAL world. Introduce outer space people that are mostly like what you know and play, Now in 2024 they are trying for End Game and hoping they do not get Justice League.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Chapter 2 consistently presents the great wheel as the default cosmological setting assumption, and while the great wheel cosmology is not exclusive to forgotten realms, it is present there, so I think one could be forgiven for having attributed this to FR being default rather than Planescape being default. Explicit and specific references to non-FR settings are largely made in passing, including in this chapter.
In third edition the Forgotten Realms adopted the Tree model. I don't know why they change the great wheel though. They say that is the 'default model' of planes but Eberron, and Forgotten Realms both use different models. Though I like to say it that Berks don't know the chant and the Great wheel is the dark of it despite what the addle-coves think.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I have a theory that Wizards just copied Disney and the Marvel movies. Lure people in with Iron Man and Captain America. Throw the people something like Quantomania and tell them it is the real world but not the REAL world. Introduce outer space people that are mostly like what you know and play, Now in 2024 they are trying for End Game and hoping they do not get Justice League.
Mordenkainen, Vecna, Asserak, Tharizdun... they are definitely going Marvel. Bring in the old characters from ANYWHERE it doesn't matter just eat the Memories!

With all of the Villains FR had they could have just used FR villains. Szass Tam would have been the PERFECT Candidate for Tomb of Annihilation.

Remove ads