• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Explainers

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Perhaps you are interested in telling people about why they should play A5e?

I wrote two articles, one for prospective narrators, one for prospective players.

(y) Your second article 'So, why would I want to play A5e?' looks pretty good. However, you have two different numbers for the number of Combat Traditions in A5e. Under Features and Benefits of A5e, you mention that there are 8 Combat Traditions while further down the page, you mentioned 12. The actual number according to A5e Tools is about 14 thanks to the addition of the Eldritch Blackguard tradition from the GPG, 15 if you want to include Steampunkette's Awakened Mind combat tradition (Paranormal Power). ;)

A5e's Combat Traditions and maneuvers are certainly a lot better than O5e's combat maneuvers for the Fighter (Battle Master). Were they inspired by the combat traditions in 3e's Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords?

xiphumor

Legend
1689337082772.jpeg

There are 18, soon to be 19

In the AG: 11

Adamant Mountain
Biting Zephyr
Mirror’s Glint
Mist and Shade
Rapid Current
Razor’s Edge
Sanguine Knot
Spirited Steed
Tempered Iron
Tooth and Claw
Unending Wheel

In the GPG: 3

Arcane Knight
Beat Unity
Eldritch Blackguard

In MoAR: 1 (with 1 coming soon)

Cutting Omen
Grinding Cog (in MoAR Complete)

In Thematic Toolkits: 1

Viper’s Fangs

In Paranormal Power: 1

Awakened Mind

In Motif Classes: 1

Arcane Artillery

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
(y) Your second article 'So, why would I want to play A5e?' looks pretty good. However, you have two different numbers for the number of Combat Traditions in A5e. Under Features and Benefits of A5e, you mention that there are 8 Combat Traditions while further down the page, you mentioned 12. The actual number according to A5e Tools is about 14 thanks to the addition of the Eldritch Blackguard tradition from the GPG, 15 if you want to include Steampunkette's Awakened Mind combat tradition (Paranormal Power). ;)

A5e's Combat Traditions and maneuvers are certainly a lot better than O5e's combat maneuvers for the Fighter (Battle Master). Were they inspired by the combat traditions in 3e's Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords?
Xiphumour has the right of it. I can only keep up to a limited extent with the A5e.tools website and I know for a fact that it updated over the 3 days I was writing my player post because Cervid's went from not-online to online.

I don't know much about 3e. I was playing other games. I do know that one of the design goals of A5e was "Give martials something to do that isn't just "Attack" over and over." and I am delighted to report, nailed it. At least in my opinion. :)

I do know that one of the design goals of A5e was "Give martials something to do that isn't just "Attack" over and over." and I am delighted to report, nailed it. At least in my opinion. :)
I agree. :) The combat maneuvers and traditions add something of a strategic element for the martials to use during combat.

Remove ads