• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Explaining A5e

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Heritage, Culture, Background and Destiny together provide you with more character customization that you can't get with whatever class you selected for your character. You aren't solely defined by your class in A5e.

This help? ;)
A great summary, sounds like you really understand this stuff! Do you run it at all?

A great summary, sounds like you really understand this stuff! Do you run it at all?
I had a little Bardic Inspiration when I composed it this morning. ;) Back in 2021, I was one many individuals who backed A5e's Kickstarter when it first debuted. So I have had time to look through A5e's Adventurers' Guide and the first Monstrous Menagerie. I have also backed Gate Pass Gazette's 2022 annual and Steampunkette's Paranormal Power. I am looking at getting MoAR: Complete when it comes out this Summer.

As for running it? Sadly, no. I am more of a player than a narrator. Currently I am participating in my second 5e adventure (Tyranny of Dragons) with two of my best friends. :) I have been playing 5e for about 2 years now. However, I really like A5e because it has a level of crunch that makes it better than O5e.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I had a little Bardic Inspiration when I composed it this morning. ;) Back in 2021, I was one many individuals who backed A5e's Kickstarter when it first debuted. So I have had time to look through A5e's Adventurers' Guide and the first Monstrous Menagerie. I have also backed Gate Pass Gazette's 2022 annual and Steampunkette's Paranormal Power. I am looking at getting MoAR: Complete when it comes out this Summer.

As for running it? Sadly, no. I am more of a player than a narrator. Currently I am participating in my second 5e adventure (Tyranny of Dragons) with two of my best friends. :) I have been playing 5e for about 2 years now. However, I really like A5e because it has a level of crunch that makes it better than O5e.
Ahh with you. No chance of getting you to run a game then. 😀 never mind.

Larnievc

Hero
I’ve moved exclusively to running A5E. As a DM I love it. Some of my players have struggled with the extra options. Specifically the knacks and such. They keep forgetting them. One of my players is playing a 5E champion, the others playing full blown A5E.

On the other hand the other group I run spend ages pouring over the books looking for way to get their powers to synergies.

For me as the DM it gives me better tools to run a game and tell a better story because it all seems to ‘hang together’ better with less cognitive overhead. So I tell my players A5E is easier for me to run and they seem happy with that.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
For me as the DM it gives me better tools to run a game and tell a better story because it all seems to ‘hang together’ better with less cognitive overhead. So I tell my players A5E is easier for me to run and they seem happy with that.
That's been pretty much my take home as well. 😀

In the D&D forum they're fretting over Wizards monetization plans and wishing that they'd get support for GMing. It's very CS Lewis "The Last Battle".

Larnievc

Hero
In the D&D forum they're fretting over Wizards monetization plans and wishing that they'd get support for GMing. It's very CS Lewis "The Last Battle"
I’m nearly 50 so maybe that’s why but I don’t really uses online tools that much. I use the A5E tools occasionally to knock up a quick treasure but I prefer the tactility of rolling dice and turning pages.

I think the frameworks that A5E has to let a GM ‘wing it’ more easily (who doesn’t like charts to roll in?) and so it puts me back to the good old days. As I’ve got all I need in the books the penny pinching approach Wizards seem to be taking shackling people to Beyond is something I can largely avoid.

Really does seem like I backed a winner with A5E. Which is nice.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Hehe. 😋 It's cool. I thought you wanted me to explain how Culture, Background and Destiny made A5e different from O5e to those who were interested in giving A5e a try. performs a Charisma (Persuasion) check ;)
😀 you should probably have a bit of another look at my website in fairness. 😀 But I thought you did a really great job and hit all the main points really well!

😀 you should probably have a bit of another look at my website in fairness. 😀 But I thought you did a really great job and hit all the main points really well!
I just checked out the other pages on your website. :) I found the Greek-themed heritages to be interesting. :) There are a number of beings in RL folklore and myth around the world who could probably be given the A5e heritage treatment. Especially if you wanted to create a setting that is focused on a specific RL culture like ancient Greece. You just reminded me of Relics and Rituals: Olympus, a 3e 3pp book. I can't remember much about this book save that it's creators went through several Monster Manuals to find and tweak several monsters for it's Greek-themed setting. I think Fauns were a part of it's standard line-up of races.

:) Thanks. A little Bardic inspiration goes a long way when it's something you really like. ;) Be it A5e Origins or even A5e Classes.

Remove ads