• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS Errata for WotBS #1

merchantsteve

Explorer
Wow! Thanks for the detail. It looks like my notes! You are correct that there is some duplication and addition. Now for the rest of the story...

As I was putting the adventure together I came to this observation. The trouble with treasure parcels is two-fold: first, they rely upon an implicit understanding that every encounter that has one is run, and second, they are ignorant of future threads of the story.

That's the problem with treasure parcels in published adventures. In an encounter-based story, some avenues are never pursued and the heroes are short-changed. I'd rather have some extra than too little. You experienced this as well with your players, so I feel somewhat justified. Since not all treasure parcels are the same, the balancing act is a bit tricky, but I would prefer to see a couple more magic items than gold at the heroic levels. I don't think one should go 'monty haul', just add a couple extra items.

The second reason is a bit more unusual but no less important. Adventure 2 in the saga is bereft of opportunity for trading and purchasing. I'd rather dole out extra money in adventure 1 to allow purchasing to make up for the meagerness in adventure 2.

It's a quandry, I admit. I have the benefit of 12 modules of story. You get one-a-month. This will keep me on my toes!!!

kumagroo

First Post
In the skill challenge involving the dire weasel, after failure, the text indicates Kiki's owner may be involved in the "Ambush!" encounter (which has already transpired). Also, I looked to "Street Ambush" and still didn't find where he fits in...
Not to be a noodge, but did anyone else find this reference? I'm really curious as to how the weasel's owner is going to resurface in this adventure?

Whimsical

Explorer
(dink, dink...)

Page 46, Boxes and Crates: replace "Balance" with "Acrobatics."
Page 47: Souldraining Great Hammer should do 2d6 of damage from dice.

PaulKemp

First Post
Question for the peanut gallery: Does the Wisp Solon appear in a source other than the adventure? I've looked in the MMI and MMII and cannot find it anywhere. I ask because I'm unclear on its appearance. Is it like a will o the wisp? Or has it taken a humanoid form (its kinship for dragonborn suggest it is scalykind, but I'm not clear).

If this is an inappropriate thread for this, please delete. I know it's not exactly errata.

merchantsteve

Explorer
Good question!
The sidebar on solons doesn't specify a shape. I personally prefer it to be a more humanoid in appearance with eyes that have no pupil or iris (normally solid white) but ripple and flicker with elemental fires behind. Its Lustrous Gaze displays two beams of red/yellow light that strikes with a white flare. The Righteous Glory seems to emanate from a nimbus of red/white light that surrounds the solon. The nimbus shimmers and swirls around its body in a living camouflage pattern.

merchantsteve

Explorer
Oh yeah, the wisp solon is a new monster. The solons will pop in and out of the saga over time. At their next appearance, a more complete monster write-up will be made.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks for this feedback, by the way. We'll probably always have one or two mistakes, but I don't expect us to make the same mistakes multiple times, and we'll offer errata and a revised version when we collect them. I really like how the adventures are developed.

I self-servingly encourage you to give an honest opinion of the first adventure here and elsewhere. I'm really proud of it, and want folks to know more from people who have read it.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Hm. Well, the sub-bookmarks are there in Act One (starting with "Prologue: Continuing the Adventure"). Not entirely sure how that happened. It's also missing from the Table of Contents, so I'll double-check the InDesign file, where the error probably originates.

UPDATE: Found it. Next PDF version will feature this correction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads