• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D Errata for OD&D 1974 Edition

Llaurenela

First Post
Hi all,

From the OD&D FAQ (1975 version) which originally appeared in THE STRATEGIC REVIEW Vol. 1, No. 2 (Summer 1975):

"In addition, there are a few errors which have been corrected by means of additional sheet in the latest printing of D & D. Those of you with sets of the rules which do not contain these corrections can acquire one simply by sending a stamped return envelope to TSR requesting “D & D Corrections”."

This errata sheet is, of course, not available from WOTC so I am wondering, does anyone still have this, that would be willing to provide this information or does anyone know where I might go to find a copy of this?

Thanks a heap for any info you might have,

Llaurenela

TheGogmagog

First Post
Hmm interesting point, same for second edition stuff. Much of the second edition stuff is available for dowload (I assume legally), but I never noticed a compiled FAQ or Errata. While I played in 2.0, I didn't follow it online or community past the occasional dragon magazine with a race or spell I found particuarly interesting.

Perhaps if we try we can summon one of the creators.
Ah, Here he is Col_Pladoh, Gary Gygax:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2282521#post2282521
I'll pose your question here.

Last edited:

Llaurenela

First Post
Hi guys,
As for the websearch I have been looking for the errata sheet for over six months and I have been doing websearches for the last ten years. If it is posted someplace, I am at a loss as to what to put in the search engine. :) I have two sets of the OD&D booklets, a 5th printing and a 6th printing. I will follow the thread you posted and see if that bears some fruit.
Thanks very much,
Llaurenela

Llaurenela

First Post
Huge thanks to Finarvyn for typing this up from the blurry image that I received. I have went ahead and annotated it for the 5th and 6th printings, I don't have a 4th printing so if anyone does and wants to check and see if the corrections were made in the 4th printing, please let us know :D . EDIT:I received a response from an owner of the 4th printing and he indicates that the errata applies to the 4th printing also.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
--Correction Sheet--

A few added notes are in Italics! To the best of my knowledge, all of these changes are for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings since the errata sheet was inserted in the box for the 2nd and 3rd printing. All of these errata were corrected for the 5th and 6th printings, except as noted below.

MEN & MAGIC, Volume 1

Page 9: Add “Griffons” under the neutrality column. Delete the first listing for “Wights” under the Chaos column.

Page 11, line 35: “30% to 40%” should be 40% to 50%.

Page 22, line 21: The “T” cross index for Zombie/Adept should be 7.

Page 23, line 34: “…2+1), (“and” deleted) from 1-6, 3rd level types, and but 1 4th level type (up to 4+1 hit dice).”

Page 28, line 9: “each” should be east (it may be this in the 1st , 2nd, 3rd and 4th printing I do not have any of those to check. However, in the 5th and 6th printing the reference is page 27, line 18: “each” should be east and it was corrected.

MONSTERS & TREASURE, Volume 2

Page 3: Table heading “% In Liar” should be “% In Lair”

Page 3: Skeletons/Zombies hit dice should read 1/2/1 (read as one-half / one)

Page 14, line 24: “doing two, three or four dice of damage (depending on size)!” Refers to Balrogs description, which is not in the 6th printing.
Page 14, line 31: add Only magical weapons/attacks affect Gargoyles. In the 6th printing, this is Page 14, line 15
Page 14, line 33: add Only silver weapons or magical weapons/attacks affect Lycanthropes. In the 6th printing, this is Page 14, Line 18

Page 14 In the 5th printing and earlier Balrogs appears immediately after dragon treasure, but in the 6th printing Balrogs is replaced with an illustration.

Page 18, line 22: add Only magical weapons/attacks affect Elementals.

Page 24, SCROLLS: There is a 25% chance that any scroll of spells found will contain those useable by Clerics.

Page 32, Heroism: add The potion will cause fighters of 5th – 7th level to increase two levels, and 8th – 10th level to increase by one level of ability.
SCROLLS: N.B. After reading a spell from a scroll the writing disappears, so the spell is usable one time only! In the 5th and 6th printing, this correction was made except that the “N.B.” was not inserted.

THE UNDERWORLD & WILDERNESS ADVENTURES, Volume 3

Page 11: Balrogs should have “Die” 9. In the 6th printing “Spectres” were inserted in place of Balrogs.

Page 18, line 10: An Encounter occurs in a City on a 6. Actually, line 7, at least in the 5th and 6th printings.

Page 24, line 16: The missing word is ten. Actually, line 18, at least in the 5th and 6th printings and is inserted as the number 10.

Published by
Tactical Studies Rules
542 Sage Street
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin 53147

As you can all see from the errata sheet, there are some items that would effect play in a big way if they were missing. It is great to know that at least in the 5th and 6th printings the correction were made prior to printing. This post has been edited with the info that the errata does apply to the 4th printing and to add an errata to page 3 of Volume 2.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
The errata sheet is in my 4th printing D&D box set, the corrections do not appear within the books. (BTW, my 4th printing set is in the white box, 3rd printing in the brown)

edit: Hmmm. Just noticed for the first time, while the 4th printing box and books have the GK/Tactical Studies Rules logo, the correction sheet has the lizardman TSR Rules logo.

Last edited:

Remove ads