• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance in 5e

S

Sunseeker

I'd be more than happy to see Wizards let someone else produce the books for 5e. In fact, I hope we do see a lot more 3rd party support for 5e. But Wizards themselves should focus on a new setting.

jshaft37

Explorer
I'd like to see Dragonlance done as a "Legacy Adventure Path". I think it'd be a perfect fit for a multi-pronged approach in attempting to appeal to old and new players alike.

The obvious choice would be a reboot of the War of the Lance, but personally I'd like the timeline to be set in one of the Dragon Wars, where there is less canon and fewer novels.

MoxieFu

First Post
My greatest hope is that with 5e you could simply take out the original modules and run them with a little conversion on-the-fly, very much like you can with Castles & Crusades.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Maybe, but even if we were able to run it and change stuff on the fly using updated statistics from 5e it would still be nice to have it all in the module.

Warder

Zaran

Adventurer
I think you're vastly underestimating the number of people who grew up on Dragonlance.

Dragonlance was my gateway into D&D. And I've always felt that the Weis and Hickman novels were the best of any that are based on the game.

I'd love to see Dragonlance make a comeback in D&D.

Elf Witch

First Post
Both of you?

Sorry, but I actually don't think there are that many people who like Dragonlance. Or actually can stand Dragonlance having any influence on the new edition at all.

You need to add me and my son and his five players and I know several other people. Of course that makes it about 12 of us. I don't know how Weis company made any money with only 12 of us buying books. :hmm:

I would like the other 2 to please stop bidding on the one Dragonlance game book I need and putting it out of my budget and I am not fooled by all the different names.

Yora here as assured us there are only 2 of you.:)

Daven

First Post
I am one that would buy these modules for sure. I say more. I would buy 5E (I am not yet convinced), just to play Dragonlance modules.
Yes, I red Dragonlance novels, and I became a good man. The very least thing that I can do to thank Tracy Hickman and Margareth Weis, is to whip my friends at table to play the characters as canon!
Jokes apart, I red the modules. I think that like many other modules, a good DM can adjust some railroading parts. I have yet to read an official epic campaign that is not with much railroading. So WOTC, get the old modules, and change some statistics... the major part is done, there are money to get, I would give you whit a wide smile, and with me many, many other people.
Ebooks are good, if it cares.

P.S.: yes I know, I can play the original modules, that I can find on ebay... but I do not like 1st and 2nd editions, and I would like something official, and maybe more modern. I would be great to let Tracy Hickman do the work, but I have a lot of faith in Cam Banks, Dragonhelm and the others guys of DLNexus.

Yora

Legend
I only think that Dragonlance is a niche product that is better left out of the main D&D product line.
I am a huge Planescape fan, but also think that planescape is not a setting that should be marketed at the entire customer base. Some of its aspects don't have a place in the basic assumptions about what is D&D in general.

And I just love the "one or both" joke too much to not use it at every opportunity.

A thousand times no.

Though there were some individual adventure sites within the campaign that were pretty good, as a whole the Dragonlance campaign was utter railroaded dreck. Nostalgia for the time, and the novels, causes people to look back on them fondly -- but pick up the novels or the modules again and look at them with an eye toward current RPG design and you'll see how bad they are. Admittedly, they aren't Forest Oracle bad, but given the good design of other products by the same authors (I6) and earlier Gygax-era adventure design, it's a shame they are so poor.

If you must bring back the Dragonlance campaign, it should be reimagined. Same basic adventure path, but without the "mysterious death" NPC requirements, forced captures, draongarmies to railroad the players, and the like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads