• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance in 5e

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I would personally love for WotC to republish the old DragonLance modules for 5e and not simply because as a child my first tast of D&D novels have been the DragonLance chronicals and I always wanted to play the modules by never had the chance.

Most D&D games got plenty of dungeons (one might say too much dungeons :lol:) but of them don't have enough dragons and lets face it, we are talking about Dungeons & Dragons and we need to give dragons some love and spotlight while making the accessible to the players, so I think that releasing the original revised modules, one by one, once a month over a year would be great for several reason.

:1: it will lure all of us nostalgic people to 5e if only to play the dragonlance main arch (I know for sure that my group will fall over each other to do so).

:2: from reading the books, I think that the story arch of the series got the potential to be the perfect setting to showcase new modules and play options, from airial combat to conducting wars etc etc.

:3: can you say EPIC? What a better way to brainwa... Err I mean introduce New young players to D&D if not by setting them on a quest to save an entire world!

:4: I don't think that any of us really wants tons of new Rule books each year, personally I would much rather have a small number of rule books a medium number of supplements (complete elves, the rouge handbook, "what to do with pesky orcs" guide that sort of stuf) and lots of good advantures modules, I like crafting my own world like the next guy but like 99.9% of the western world I don't have the time to do it so quality modules are it.

What do you think?

Warder

delericho

Legend
If there were no limit on the number of books WotC could put out, then I would have no issue whatsoever with them redoing the Dragonlance saga. As it is, they can only put out so many books, and so priorities must be set. I'm afraid to say that Dragonlance comes well down my list of priorities.

Basically, when it comes to both adventures and settings, I would much rather see WotC come out with something new. I don't want to see another rehash of the Forgotten Realms (although I know it's happening), and I don't want to see another rehash of the Dragonlance adventures (or "Tomb of Horrors", "Ravenloft", "Against the Giants", or any of the others... although I'm sure some of these will be coming too).

As for the Dragonlance modules themselves, I'm afraid they're rightly regarded quite poorly. Unfortunately, what works in fiction doesn't necessarily work in adventure design, and the consequence is that this Adventure Path is regarded as an absolutely classic example of a railroad.

(However, if you do want to play through those adventures, you should surely be able to get them on eBay - there are the original 1st Ed modules, the collected 2nd Ed versions, or a version done under license for 3e... surely you must be able to find something to scratch that itch?)

Additionally, I'm afraid Dragonlance has had its day. Now that WotC aren't doing novels (or other products in the setting), it appears to be functionally dead. And with all that's happened in the novel line, reviviing it may be quite difficult. It's just not going to be the massive draw for new players that it might perhaps have been at one time.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't know about railroading, I never played or seen the modules before although on a personal note as a DM I'm quite adapt at giving my players the illusion that they are in control :devil:

As for the rest, I can only hope to get somthing like that ;)

P.s didn't knew about the 3ed version thanks for the heads up.

Warder

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Delericho there talking like the world stopped back in 2000. That's a lot of things said about outdated stuff.

Sovereign Press published excellent Dragonlance material for 3E and 3.5E:
http://www.dlnexus.com/products/series/154.aspx

If you go to dragonlanceforums.com they've got conversions for 4E.

And yes, I do think WotC should let Sovereign Press and Margaret Weiss Productions continue with Dragolance in 5E. It was a travesty that they ended the license.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
You know I totally forgot 3rd party developers, wired because I'm a patron of nearly everything out of Open Design...

I sure hope that the gaming license for 5e will allow 3rd party developers to pitch in, I want to play in the Midgard campaign setting in 5e!

Warder

delericho

Legend
Delericho there talking like the world stopped back in 2000. That's a lot of things said about outdated stuff.

As far as I could tell, the OP was talking specifically about the original Dragonlance modules, so that was all I addressed.

I'm aware of the licensed materials, and that they were well regarded. And I agree - WotC should have renewed that license, especially if they weren't going to do anything with the setting.

But I will stand by my comments about restarting the line. AFAICT, the last novel was published in 2010, while the last Weis/Hickman novel was "Dragons of the Hourglass Mage" in 2009. With two years having passed since there was anything Dragonlance out there, it appears to be done.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Both of you?

I'll have you know that there used to be four of us, one died and the other one got replaced by a denerdatise version during his honeymoon by his evil wife :rant:

On a seriouse note, I guess that it's a matter of geography, I know dozens of people who swear by DragonLance and the fact that you don't doesn't mean that there won't be customers for DragonLance products (stuffed draconian anyone?) and the fact that I know a bunch of people who do doesn't mean that there are enough customers for DragonLance products.

Warder

the Jester

Legend
Let's bottom line it: in my opinion, the original DL modules sucked an awful lot. Between plot immunity, a game on horrendous rails, a stupendously strong metaplot that you absolutely couldn't escape, etc. they were terrible.

Now, I know not everyone agrees with me; but a lot of people do. Putting out a series of modules that a good chunk of the fan base thinks sucks isn't going to draw the old nostalgia crowd in anymore than reprinting Sword & Fist or the Complete Book of Elves (which are also terrible, btw) will.

NEW adventures- GOOD adventures- are what is needed IMHO.

Remove ads