• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Discipline Points or Focus Points?

Which do you prefer

• Discipline Points

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Focus Points

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Other

Votes: 19 40.4%

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I could think of a lot of better words to use than "Discipline Points". Spirit Points, Soul Points, Vitality Points, Resolve Points, Energy Points, Vim Points, Unity Points, Might Points, Drive Points...I could go on, but you get the idea. Like how do you spend Discipline? It's like enlightenment, you either have it or you don't.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Focus points? What am I focused on?
Nah, I’d stay with Discipline Points.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Because of the fact I'm assuming psionics are still on the table at some point in the future and the Monk was connected to that power source in 4E (and I think still should be)... Discipline is the word that has more connection to me to psionics than Focus does. So I'd personally like to see Discipline Points used for both Monks and Mystics (and instead of Psi Points.)

And yes, I'm one of those people who would rather see the term 'Mystic' used rather than 'Psion' should Discipline (ne psionics) find their way into 5E. While I actually find the class and power source rather superfluous personally... if we ARE going to have them I'd rather they be attributed to class identities that feel more medieval / Rennaissance. Which to me Mystic does and Psion does not. But I also fully acknowledge that probably isn't going to happen should 'psionics' eventually rear its head.

But to me... Mystics and Monks both use the body and mind to perform supernatural feats, and that power would be called Discipline.

Remove ads