• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Could you recommend - third party - long adventures (or adventure paths) for D&D or Pathfinder?

Anything welcome, even other systems (like Warhammer Fantasy RPG, OSR etc.).
Well, if you don't mind doing a fair bit of conversion work, 13th Age has both Eyes of the Stone Thief and Shards of a Broken Sky.

The former is a series of delves into the most famous of the setting's Living Dungeons, which are just what it sounds like - dungeon complexes that are magically alive. Most of them are content to burrow up to the surface from the deep underworld and then sit there, spawning monstrous raiders that ravage the countryside until someone kills the dungeon by seeking out its heart and destroying it. The Stone Thief is famous because it's mobile, and surfaces at irregular intervals to devour building, geographical features, even whole settlements, which get digested and incorporated into its ever-changing, ever-growing structure. It's also vindictive, and after the PCs have gotten its attention with a few successful delves and escapes it will start tracking them and eating places they care about until they settle its hash. It's pretty awesome, and designed to play out as a series of dungeoncrawls with some breaks in between for other stuff - at least until the dungeon starts coming for them.

The latter is initially an exploration of a formerly isolated magical "quarantine zone" where various nastiness was confined in ages past. The wards are breaking down and letting adventurers in to explore and other things out, and the start of the story is getting to know the local communities and exploring the region. Things ramp up when a magical catastrophe reveals a formerly-invisible floating fortress overhead that was maintaining the faltering wards, which proceeds to rain debris all over the bucolic settlements below as it crashes. At that point things shift to a disaster recover mode for a while, then shifts to exploring the fallen wreckage for loot, survivors and some clue as to what's going on. It's a more diverse experience than Stone Thief but not quite as polished and you probably won't use all of the many adventure sites - but some of them could easily be cribbed for later use elsewhere.

There's also the Elven Towers, which is about short AP length, but frankly I think it's terrible and do not recommend it. It stands out as the only 13th Age thing I ever bought I was actually disappointed in - and I bought almost everything from 1st edition.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Disclaimer: I haven't played any of these. But I've heard good things about all of them.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Another recommendation for Frog God Games setting and adventure books. Pretty bog standard fantasy, and not really as gritty as they sell some of it. Also, not really that old school unless you are running it with their Swords & Wizardry retroclone rules.

Their 5e conversions can be wonky. That really has not affected play in my experience, but somethings things that are deadly in Swords & Wizardry and challenging in Pathfinder 1e, fall a little flatter in 5e. And then there will be other encounters that turn out to be more deadly that you might expect just reading them. That doesn't bother me with my more sandbox style of play. That's one of things I like about most of the big FGG adventure-path/setting books. They are not as linear and balanced as most WotC adventures.

Keep in mind that many of the books are MASSIVE. The amount of content can be overwhelming (many are in the 500-1000 page range). If you are looking for a shorter or medium term campaign, yet are also a bit of a completionist, you may want to start with something like Stone Heart Valley, instead of something like Slumbering Tsar Saga.

Bards Gate was mention, I love that book, but it is more of a giant city setting. I don't feel the adventure content in the main book and supplements are enough to build a long campaign on. But if you like to make your own adventures and supplement that with what they wrote, it can be done. If you want to do less work, I would combine Bards Gate with Stone Hearts Valley. That is one of their better adventures, which takes place in the area near Bards Gate.

For a city based campaign, The Blight is quite good and unlike many of their other setting/adventure books has a very different vibe than Forgotten Realms / Greyhawk. It is more like Warhammer Fantasy in terms of technology and grim-darkness.

For a massive mega dungeon, there is Rappan Athuk. Very sandboxey and not for all groups, but it will give you years of play if you like classic, gonzo mega dungeons.

The Borderland Provinces provides a pretty rich, but not overwhelming setting and you can get some of their short adventures set in the area, or just move an adventure set in another location to somewhere in this area.

Cyclopean Deeps gives you fleshed out underdark-setting in two large books. More of a sandbox than an adventure path.

End of Everything is setting in wasteland setting suffering from some kind of corruption. It is under 300 pages, with a more modern adventure path feel, and isn't a conversion so the should play more smoothly in in 5e.

Tegel Manor isn't really Lost Lands, but is FGG's fan-project to bring a classic adventure setting to 5e. It is a Haunted House and environs adventure and good for a shorter campaign. The original printing had some major editing issues in terms of how the text matched to the map. Not sure if they've corrected everything in the current PDFs.

Northlands Saga. Classic Vikings setting.

Tehuatl. Aztec/Maya inspired setting. With a separate Adventures in Tehuatl book.

They also sell VTT map and token packs for many of their adventures, but I most do not have full VTT treatment. I do know they sell some adventures in Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds, but I've not looked at what is currently available.

City of Brass starts in a dessert setting at lower levels and take you to the City of Brass at the edge of the Plane of Fire. Levels 1-20. Political intrigue plays a big role in this adventure. Not great for hack and slash exploration. But if your players like political intrique plus some very challenging combats and high-level play, it is worth looking at.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I’ve just started reading through Dungeons of Drakkenheim from Ghostfire Games (which actually recently became available on DNDBeyond) and my impression thus far (about 1/3rd through it) is that it’s better than most of the official long-form 5E adventure books; certainly better than any long adventure WotC has published since Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

It has some GoT-style intrigue elements in that there are several rival factions with competing agendas.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm selling Rappan Athuk if you're interested in a mega dungeon. We never got around to it. I also have Tales of the Margrave and The Runewild, which both take place in old forests. I have the PDF of those, so no longer need the books. I like both of these settings quite a bit

Remove ads