• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Changes to race (species?)

As long as Culture is separate from Background, that’s fine.
I think cultures should be made out of backgrounds.

Each culture can be defined by a set of backgrounds that are prominent in that culture. Some backgrounds are unique to a specific culture and relate to some institution that is peculiar to that culture.

For examples, the elves in the elven culture of one region might revolve around Wizards who inhabit magical colleges that are skyscraping supertowers, and annual sacred revelries organized by Bards. Meanwhile elves in the elven culture of an other region might revolve around Eldritch Knight military units that are loyal to each of elegant treehouse towns, built/grown magically by Druids.

Each culture has its own infrastructure that supports the central institutions.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think cultures should be made out of backgrounds.

Each culture can be defined by a set of backgrounds that are prominent in that culture. Some backgrounds are unique to a specific culture and relate to some institution that is peculiar to that culture.

For examples, the elves in the elven culture of one region might revolve around Wizards who inhabit magical colleges that are skyscraping supertowers, and annual sacred revelries organized by Bards. Meanwhile elves in the elven culture of an other region might revolve around Eldritch Knight military units that are loyal to each of elegant treehouse towns, built/grown magically by Druids.

Each culture has its own infrastructure that supports the central institutions.
Okay, but then where does being a sailor or a librarian or a soldier fit? That needs to be separate from what country you’re from.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I still think races should have 1 ability score increased based on the typical characteristics of the race (strength for half-orcs, dexterity for elves, intelligence for gnomes) while also removing the subrace ASI and allowing it to be placed free-form so that if using point buy you could still end up with a half-orc wizard with a 16 or 17 intelligence. I'm thinking of treating the free placement ASI just like one in level up which also means you can replace it with a feat if you'd prefer.

Okay, but then where does being a sailor or a librarian or a soldier fit? That needs to be separate from what country you’re from.
Some backgrounds might be employed in many cultures, thus feel a bit more generic. For example, sailors shipping traderoutes might resemble many ports.

At the same time, Halfling river nomads might have a highly distinctive skillset. Viking-esque would traverse both deep sea and rivers, and even hike over land while carrying their ship on their shoulders. Meanwhile, some companies might hire a sea mage, typically a Wizard or Druid who would conjure wind magically and other useful seafaring duties. So Seamage can be a background. And so on.

It all depends on the culture, and thinking about who is doing what and how.

I view classes as fighting styles, so a police force of Bards might be just as likely as a police force of Paladins or Fighters, with Psions or Rogues as detectives. I first think about which classes are prominent in a culture. Afterward, when I think about what they are doing in a specific scenario, the backgrounds become very important and flavorful.

I still think races should have 1 ability score increased based on the typical characteristics of the race (strength for half-orcs, dexterity for elves, intelligence for gnomes) while also removing the subrace ASI and allowing it to be placed free-form so that if using point buy you could still end up with a half-orc wizard with a 16 or 17 intelligence. I'm thinking of treating the free placement ASI just like one in level up which also means you can replace it with a feat if you'd prefer.

I want to agree that each species favors certain abilities. I like how mechanics actualizes flavor during gameplay.

However, I cannot stand the Elf being Dex. In my eyes they must be Cha.

So I actually benefit when the rules allow players to pick whatever abilities they want. In a setting where elves are typically Cha, the rules as written that allows players to choose actively supports me as a DM and as well as a player.

If background rather than species offers an ability, the every Elven Wizard background can choose Int +2, every Orc chieftain family can choose Cha +2 or Int +2. So any ability is possible but it ties into the culture in a specific way. And growing up in a different culture with different backgrounds is also possible. Meanwhile, Elven Bard backgrounds offer the Cha +2 that is important to me. And as DM it is easy enough to design a new background to create or tweak a culture.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
I'm of the opinion that a character's race doesn't usually have a significant impact on the campaign. I realize that's not the case for many of your home campaigns, but for official campaigns like Curse of Strahd it doesn't really matter whether your Fighter is a Tiefling, Dragonborn, or a Gnome. Divorcing attributes from race will drive that final nail in the coffin for making races insignificant in my opinion but I'm fine with that. I think it's silly that a 35 pound Gnome can have the same strength as a 200 pound human, but, hey, it's fantasy I guess. I don't have any particular desire to see this change but it's not going to keep me away from the next edition should the designers go down this route.

I like the idea to choose betwee bonus abilitie A, bonus abilitie B, or bonus both A+B but with penaly in C, like in pathfinder 2.

I defend the idea of the optional list of racial feats because sometimes I like the background of a PC race but not the racial traits. For example the gnomes are type-casted in the roles of stealth classes or illusory spellcasters. What if I want a gnome swashbuckler, a halfling monk or a orc shaman?

* If new PC races are added I suggest something like the kemonomimi or furries, I mean antropomorphic animals, or humanoids with animal traits because they are enough popular in the no-RPG fandom.

You have to remember centaurs and other cuadruped humanoids are worse to climb, but harder to be knocked out.

Remove ads